Choosing Between the Big Three

'Lil Guy'

Sometime between now and the end of year I will be upgrading again and hopefully for the last time. Some questions I have I don't believe I can get answers to from a dealer. I'm referring to the Landmark, Bighorn and Big Country. They all seem nice. I'm not sure of the LM, but the other 2 (BH & BC) seem to be the same if you add the options. Looks like they have the same frames, sidewalls, suspensions and roof structure along with the flooring. If I got the BC with all the bells and whistles, would it be structurally as sound as the BH? What would be the things I would be giving up? I don't think you can get full body pain on the BC but not sure. Is the paint just applied to the rig with with the standard sidewalls with decals removed? Is there the possibility of delamination requiring an expensive paint repair on top of the repair itself? Other than the ease of waxing the coach and the beauty of the paint job, are there any other benefits to the paint?
Just a start here but thanks in advance for any info provided.

danemayer

Hi Frank,

Our LM is 5 years old and the full body paint still gets compliments. It requires minimal care. On ours, the "decals" are part of the paint job, so there's nothing to peel. No problems with fading.

There is a downside in that any body repair puts you into the paint shop as part of the repair. For example, one of our GY G614 tires threw a tread last Fall. It damaged the j-wrap and fender, requiring replacement of both. So in addition to replacing them, they had to be painted to match the trailer.

I wouldn't be concerned about delamination with respect to paint. If you have delamination, you'll be in a body shop anyway, where painting is a way of life.

Comparing BC to BH, I think the only thing to watch for is the frame and axles used on shorter floor plans. If I remember correctly, there were some BC floor plans that used lighter frames (10" vs 12"). Also, the axles could be 6,000 lb rather than 7,000 lb. I'm not sure whether this still applies, but you should pay attention to those things when shopping.

'Lil Guy'

Thanks for the reply. I've had real good luck with our last 2 HL rigs. Hope it holds true on our next one. Of course I haven't kept any of them very long yet.lol We're going to take our time and try to get this one right and hopefully it will be the last. I do believe in overkill as in more axle and tire than needed. Again, thanks for the reply.

TxCowboy

If I remember correctly, there were some BC floor plans that used lighter frames (10" vs 12"). Also, the axles could be 6,000 lb rather than 7,000 lb. I'm not sure whether this still applies, but you should pay attention to those things when shopping.

Dan, note the boldfaced text above. How can you tell this is the case? Is it on the build sheet or do you have to remove the basement material to view these beams?

farside291

I read somewhere on this site that if the unit has 4 entry steps it is a 12 inch frame, 3 entry steps 10 inch frame. I was told Big Country and Big Horn were the same with differences being interiors. I also read that Big Country was brought in to expand the line so multiple sellers can sell the Heartland product line within the same area. I am not going to lie, if I had it to do over again I would have bought the same floor plan in the Land Mark. Such a beautiful coach!

pegmikef

Hi Frank,

Comparing BC to BH, I think the only thing to watch for is the frame and axles used on shorter floor plans. If I remember correctly, there were some BC floor plans that used lighter frames (10" vs 12"). Also, the axles could be 6,000 lb rather than 7,000 lb. I'm not sure whether this still applies, but you should pay attention to those things when shopping.

This is true. The shorter BH and BC rigs have the 10" frames and 6,000 pound axles (my 3010RE has such a setup). I had 7,000 pound axles installed when I ordered mine. When the standard axles are 6k there is usually an upgrade option to 7k and when standard is 7k, the upgrade option is 8k. As someone else pointed out, my ten inch frame has three steps instead of the four found on 12" frames.

'Lil Guy'

I doubt I would worry about the 10" I-beam. It's only on the shorter models and it should be sufficient. That's some stout stuff. I bet the 12 is for the longer run and flex with that much weight. I'd be more concerned with the upgraded axles. I like overkill there. I've looked at the BH 3160 Elite and it had the 7K axles on it. Also looking at the BC 32450TS. I like the size of the BH 3010 RE except for the tv seating. I'm in a hold until the end of the year. After I retire we'll be on the road a lot and I don't want to jump now and have to store it for long periods. I'm afraid the longer I wait, the bigger it will get.lol Debbie and I will be spending a lot of time at the dealerships here in the near future and if we haven't pulled the trigger by the rallys starting in October, we'll be asking a lot of questions and wanting to look at some of the rigs. I doubt we'll go with the LM unless Jim gives me a good deal when he trades his in. Spending the week in Kerrville with daughter and 2 children sure made the 'LG' seem smaller than it is. I think it came with a 1 million movement warranty on the front door. After my Grandkids got through. I think we have 3 left. There are a few things we're contemplating that might lead to a larger rig. Just have to wasit and see. At least we have a truck that will haul it now.
Later and thanks for the info.

justafordguy

Dan, note the boldfaced text above. How can you tell this is the case? Is it on the build sheet or do you have to remove the basement material to view these beams?

I assume that the 10" vs 12" frame is referring to the width of the main I-beam of the frame? If so I don't think the number of steps is always a good indicator.

danemayer

I don't know if it's on the build sheet. Yes you might have to remove one or two screws to measure. Or maybe the openings around the axles would allow you to measure.

I don't think it's a problem having a 10" frame on shorter floor plans. I was just trying to answer the question was about whether there were any differences.