Choosing my 1st RV

Thanks in advance for everyone’s help. I am going to buying my first fifth wheel this spring. I am strongly thinking about the Bighorn 3670RL but also considering the Big Country 3500RL. Any info on the pros and cons of each unit would be greatly appreciated. I would also like opinions on some options I am considering, are they worth the extra $ (double pane windows for sure).

1) Hi-Gloss Exterior Fiberglass Sidewalls
2) Slide Awning Package Quad Slides
3) Convection Microwave
4) Dometic Elite (2x2) 4 Door Refer (14 cu.ft.)
5) Fantastic Fan w/Rain Sensor (Bedroom)

My plan for now is to use it as my primary residents living in it year around, it will be parked and skirted. I live in Western Colorado and have seen temps down to -20 F and 2 to 3 feet of snow in the winters. It may also be used for traveling in the future. My TV is a 2001 Dodge Cummins 2500 LB 4x4. Sorry for so many questions.

Thanks again for any help I receive. What a great website this is.

Colorado Charlie

jimtoo

Hi Charlie,

#1 ,, yes
#2,,, you will hear pro's and cons, I don't have them and happy without.
#3,,, it is standard on Bighorn, we have it and love it.
#4,,, prob need if full timing, although we have used ours for almost 3 months
one time and no prob.
#5,,, yes, you prob can get by there without 2nd A/C. We have 2 A/C.

You will need to take a lot of extra precautions on water pipes in the belly and for sure will need the skirting.

I used to live in Rangely many years ago.

Jim M

2010augusta

1) Hi-Gloss Exterior Fiberglass Sidewalls
Don't know, as it was standard on the Landmark. We like the gloss and it stays good looking.

2) Slide Awning Package Quad Slides
Yes, It is so nice to have a bit more protection to the top of the slides.

3) Convection Microwave
We love our Dometic convection oven/microwave. we use it more than the gas oven for cooking and baking.

4) Dometic Elite (2x2) 4 Door Refer (14 cu.ft.)
Definitely, we can easily keep a weeks worth of food and leftovers in the 14cu. ft unit I drink about 3-4 gallons of milk a week so a big fridge is great. The 3670 has lot of cabinets so missing a pantry is not a big deal.

5) Fantastic Fan w/Rain Sensor (Bedroom)
Maybe, I would personally get a 2nd A/C, I know it can get into the 100's on the Western Slope of Colorado and 2 A/C's are nice.

IMHO you can't go wrong with the 3670RL or the Augusta.

Hunter11

We are currently looking at the Big Horn 3600RL and the Big Country 3500RL and if we decide to sell our trailer and order a new one we would pretty well option it out. As far as I know there is no option for a larger fridge on either unit. You get the 8 cu. ft. on the BC and 9 cu. ft. on the BH. We do wish there was an option for a larger fridge because it would be at the top of our list.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Hunter11...don't know about the BC, but I'm positive the 14ft refrigerator is an option on the Bighorn....

Hunter11

You are correct, I guess I missed that. We really like the BC 3500RL but would like to have a larger fridge.

caissiel

We have a 3500RL, and we just love it, but the BC is the baby brother of the BH, with less options. The BH might be well worth it.
1. We Changed the swing of the W/D door like they show on the 2011 BC opposite to the BH
2. I added individual slide hydraulic controls on the BC that is standard on the BH.
3. We modified the bed to a pillow top queen on the BC
4. We have the dual pane windows that really makes a difference on the sound and sweat.
6. I like the heavier axle and springs that are on both trailers.
7. I installed my 32" TV in the LR and the included 26" in the BR.
8. The optional fireplace is a great option.
9. I am in favor of the fantastic fan in the bedroom, but others are also right with the additional A/C in there might be good to have a 13.5K there so A/C can run on 15Amp power or power plant.

Last edited:

Delaine and Lindy

Agree ....

I would for sure get the Big Fridge, this is our 3rd 5th wheel with the 4 door fridge and we aren't full timing but are in the 5th wheel 6 to 8 months a year. This is no question about the 2nd A/C, it always great to have a back-up. As for the Slide toppers have had 3 5th wheels with them and the last 3 without, I really see no need for them. They make to much noise, hold to much water and will have to replace just another problem to take care of. I try very hard never to park under trees, trees only cause problems, however if I have to park under a tree, I always travel with a electric leaf blower ($59.00) and just blow off the top of the 5er and it also gives you a chance to check the roof area. Just my opinions thru experience. GBY.....

johnjbird

One thing I didn't see you say was double pane windows maybe you already knew that. I have the shiny gelgloss and it is much easier to clean. I actually have 2 fantastic fans on my bighorn 3400 rl. If ther is something else you would like you might check with the factory if they can do it. We put a dinette in our bh. good luck