Class A Non-commercial License Required in California

Lndeatr

Wino, I am sure the insurance company would take notice when they receive a collision report that states you were not licensed for the vehicle you were driving.

Ramdually, you would follow the regulations for your NE license.

Subdrv

Just found out that North Carolina has the same type requirement for their residents. Guess I get to take a driving test.

olcoon

Bottom line is...no matter what someone knows, or thinks they know about their state, another state, or the US laws in general, the best bet is to go to someone that definitely knows the law in a particular state. Contact the individual state's licensing department, or Highway Patrol. In 30 years of law enforcement I've seen a lot of people get into trouble because they went by the "expert advice" of a buddy or someone who "knows the laws". We used to call them "jail house lawyers". Seemed like the "good advice" was wrong 90% of the time.

Lndeatr

So true. That is why I run all my questions (work and rv) to DMV and CHP Valley Division (Main ofice in Sacramento) to get my answers. Wasn't what I wanted to hear as we now only have 1 driver for our Mobile Command Vehicle and I have to have a licensed Class A passenger to pull my rig for my test. Ca can get very complicated with some of the laws. This is reinforcing my desire to move out of state when I retire.

wdk450

Well. I'm sure ALL the California RV dealers are informing their buyers of this requirement before they will take their money , hitch 'em up, and wave goodby. I brought this up at a local Escapees RVers meeting of about 100 members, with about 50 being 5th wheel owners. No one had this license.

Now all of us not having this license need someone with this license to drive us to the testing site - But there is no one! So you risk impoundment of your rig for going to get the legal license. If you mess up on the pre-trip checkout, or the driving test, you again get to go home without your $70,000 rig. I have contacted RV driving schools, truck driving schools, and RV movers in the area about getting me to the test. They all refused. Can you say Catch 22??? If DMV/CHP really want to get us into compliance, there needs to be an amnesty (politically charged word in this state), or temporary license allowing the current RVers to get to the test by themselves.

The only posting I have heard of on this forum of anyone getting cited for this in California was when they were cited for something else - Towing at 65 MPH instead of the state towing maximum of 55 MPH (which I observe in ALL states I drive in).

I am about to get out of my house and live fulltime in my Bighorn. I will probably stay mostly in California at Thousand Trails parks. But if California goes into hard-XXX enforcement of this very hard to comply with regulation, I will sign up with one of the Florida or Texas mail forwarding services (instead of a California one) and re-register my drivers license and vehicles in one of those states; without California's state income tax, and extremely high vehicle registration fees (or smog checks on diesel pickups - what a joke- there is no electronic testing system for this).

bwc1950

California's reciprocal law is pretty simple.... a resident from ANY state can operate ANY vehicle in CA as long as they have the proper license with appropriate endorsement for the vehicle they are driving from the State where the license was issued (residence). If your state says you are legally licensed to drive and tow the vehicle you are driving and towing, then you are also legal in CA.

The bigger issue, and someone else mentioned it, is that, without the proper license and endorsements, you are driving OUT OF CLASS and might as well have no license at all. No matter what State you are from, and you find yourself in a position to defend yourself (accident?) you may find yourself very likely liable for illegally driving your rig.

Bottom line, get the proper license and quit worrying about whether law enforcement will give you a ticket. Be legal and you'll have no worries....anywhere....

SilverRhino

I started checking into Texas laws regarding a fifth wheel when I learned that I had to change my insurance class with my new bed. It was amazing how much wrong information I received......Worst came from two local RV Dealerships that said "there is not a Heartland product that would require you to have a Class A Non Commercial license".......Very wrong! My concern on both the proper insurance and license was in case of an accident. The local DPS office told me that when an accident occurs it's amazing how much comes out.....Not the time to learn, IMO !

jbbdc

When we bought our Mobile Suites I also bought a Volvo 770 as a tow vehicle. I called our state office in Tallahassee to get advice on how to register it as a non-commercial vehicle used solely for non-commercial travel. I was told by a supervisor, "Once a commercial vehicle, always a commercial vehicle."

If I had taken her at her word I wouldn't have discovered actual Florida guidance. Her advice was the exact opposite of fact. It was very easy to get my Volvo legally registered as a motorhome in FL once I found the applicable regulation.

Bottom line, calling the state experts won't necessarily yield correct guidance.

scottyb

When we bought our Mobile Suites I also bought a Volvo 770 as a tow vehicle. I called our state office in Tallahassee to get advice on how to register it as a non-commercial vehicle used solely for non-commercial travel. I was told by a supervisor, "Once a commercial vehicle, always a commercial vehicle."

If I had taken her at her word I wouldn't have discovered actual Florida guidance. Her advice was the exact opposite of fact. It was very easy to get my Volvo legally registered as a motorhome in FL once I found the applicable regulation.

Bottom line, calling the state experts won't necessarily yield correct guidance.

I ran into the same issue at one of the Austin DMV's (DPS). It took going up the chain of command and a phone call to the DPS Headquarters in Austin, to get a definitive answer and directions as to which units to study for the test. I took my driving test in Marble Falls, which is closer and much easier than towing to Central Austin. The person was not really a DPS trooper, just a licensing agent. I drove myself to the test and parked the rig on the side street without incident.

DW_Gray

Good luck on getting your Class A Non-commercial License. I attempted that over 4 years ago. Did all the right things and paid my fee. I never received the license. Six months later, I left CA and made my way to Florida on the CA Class C, got my FL license and registered all my vehicles there. Saved me a TON of money.

wdk450

Maybe I will opt for Nevada for residency- it is only a couple of hours from here. No state tax is in their state constitution.

FLOYD PHILBROOK

Nevada Chapter Leader
Bill You need a class A non commercial licence or a class B or C with J endorsement in nevada for trailers over 10000 lbs. Floyd

Last edited:

pegmikef

I started checking into Texas laws regarding a fifth wheel when I learned that I had to change my insurance class with my new bed. It was amazing how much wrong information I received......Worst came from two local RV Dealerships that said "there is not a Heartland product that would require you to have a Class A Non Commercial license".......Very wrong! My concern on both the proper insurance and license was in case of an accident. The local DPS office told me that when an accident occurs it's amazing how much comes out.....Not the time to learn, IMO !

I agree that is not the time to find out. So if you gotta get a class A in Texas, do they test you in your own rig? It looks like I am right on the wire so I think I'll just go ahead and do it. My son is an OTR trucker, but right now he is staying with us and hauling crude oil to take advantage of the local boom, so I wouldn't have any problem getting the rig to the test station.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
As I understand it, insurance companies now consider trucks with a tow bed on them to be "commercial". What is confusing about the Texas law is that if you're towing a rig with combined weight below 26,000 pounds the non-commercial license is not needed. Then there is another section of the licensing law that say specifically that if you are towing an RV for private use, the CDL license is not needed. In my years of law enforcement, I don't know of anyone that was ever stopped or cited for not being licensed properly. As far as I know, these laws have not changed in the last few years so this is not something that is new.

SilverRhino

You do test with your own rig to get the Texas Class A. I agree that Law Enforcement Officers are not stopping vehicles to check for proper operators classification. My Ram and BC combination fall below the 26,000 lb. threshold.....If I had a another model of BC, some BH and any Landmark....I would be over the 26,000 lbs and be required to have the Class A, Non-Commercial license. It is not that big an issue to follow the law and have the proper classification.

I plan on getting my Class A due to a low boy equipment trailer that I do have to tow at times.

Yes.....Insurance companies consider "hauler bed" pickup trucks to be Commercial......I searched, protested, begged and still ended up with a Commercial policy! :( just more $$$

Lndeatr

I am fortunate enough to live in a rural farming area and most of the farmers and their employees have Class A licenses. I have befriended a few and one of them has agreed to go with me.

pegmikef

Well, as it turns out, I won't need to go get a class A, in fact in Texas, I can't. I went out to DPS to get the manual and was told that for the driving test, the rig I tested with had to exceed the 26,000 pounds. If it does not they will not test you. They do NOT go by what is printed on the door or trailer. They will only accept the Gross Weight specified on the vehicle/trailer registration (presumably taken from the certificate of origin). I my case that gives me a two thousand pound margin. She said a lot of times there is a difference between the door label and the registration and the registration is trump. I could still get the class A, but would have to use an alternate setup that exceeded the 26,000 pounds.