Class A Non-commercial License Required in California

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Isn't the key word here "Commercial" and unless you are being paid to transport these rv's you should be ok? That is my feelings. I have yet to see a DPS (Louisiana equivalent to commercial enforcement) pull an RV over not have I heard any of my RV friends who have had unfortunate experience with an accident with there rig having any issues with not having a specific license requirement. I do have a class d license due to fact that I did run a hotshot for a little while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lou_and_Bette

This thread has made me be glad to be licesned in Nebraska. Where RVs are exempt from all of that. Same with South Dakota. We are trying to decide where to retire when the hubby gets out of the service. It has been between South Dakota and Texas. They are pretty equally matched but South Dakota is winning.
Mizmary, if you do happen to decide on Texas, I would recommend going to Livingston, TX, home of Escapees RV club. They are very familiar with, and very friendly towards RV'rs. I had to get the class A license and the only glitch is that you must schedule a driving test but can only do so after passing the written test. The wait was 2 weeks there, I have heard of months in other parts of Texas, so it can't be done in one short visit but the over all experience was not unpleasant at all.

danemayer

Here's a study guide for most of the Texas Class A CDL written tests. The questions are taken from the sample questions in the Texas Handbook and the answers are sourced from there as well. If you can answer all these questions, you'll pass the written tests.

There's also a written test on Chapter 14 of the Texas CDL Handbook - you'll have to study that on your own.

Since this is all based on Federal requirements, I'd think the questions are probably pretty much the same across the U.S.

Attachments

• CDL Questions from Handbook.pdf
    632.4 KB · Views: 17

dave10a

When I moved from Illinois to Connecticut, I had to surrender my Class A non-CDL license for a Class D license. Many states like Connecticut do not require or follow the Federal guidelines, but the reciprocal laws allow one to to drive legally in the US and Canada. I was somewhat surprised at how some states require a class A to pull my rig and some state do not. However, I am glad that I had the class A, because I have a better understanding of driving safety for my rig. I highly recommend one to take a course in class a CDL if their state does not require the class A license. That knowledge would be helpful for safety and if one is sued in case of an accident. In my case Connecticut is the problem not me :)

scottyb

Mizmary, if you do happen to decide on Texas, I would recommend going to Livingston, TX, home of Escapees RV club. They are very familiar with, and very friendly towards RV'rs. I had to get the class A license and the only glitch is that you must schedule a driving test but can only do so after passing the written test. The wait was 2 weeks there, I have heard of months in other parts of Texas, so it can't be done in one short visit but the over all experience was not unpleasant at all.

I took my written test in Austin because one of the DMV's is close to my office. It's a typical "take a number and wait". When I called to make an appointment for the driving test, it was as you described, 2-3 weeks wait. I actually live about 20 min from Marble Falls. I called the DMV there and they said they could not make an appointmnet until the following week, but they take walk-ins if I could arrive at 8 AM. When I got there there was one appointment ahead of me, but they said they could do it at 9:30. Having an hour to burn, I went to the famous Bluebonnet Cafe, and had some world class biscuits and gravy with some grits. I was done and driving home with a Class A by 10:30. I will never go to the Austin DMV again, for anything, plus it saved me from having to haul the rig into central Austin.

Lndeatr

I echo Dave10's comment that it is good to have the knowledge. I think that is the whole point of the process. I have seen so many rigs driving recklessly and have been to my share of rv accidents while working which were caused by drivers driving like they were in their cars.

porthole

Retired
Wasn't much picked up on my comment here...........

In Jersey, I drive a 70,000 pound, 43' truck with air brakes for a career, with a basic passenger car license with no endorsements. :cool:

Taking this thought and adding to mine and you can see a bit of a pattern.

I echo Dave10's comment that it is good to have the knowledge. I think that is the whole point of the process. I have seen so many rigs driving recklessly and have been to my share of rv accidents while working which were caused by drivers driving like they were in their cars.

I am a fire fighter, and because of that in New Jersey, I am exempt from having to deal with any commrcial license requirements even though I am a certified operator of our 67,000+ and 74,000+ 3 axle, air brake equipped, top heavy aerial trucks.

Education, or lack of it especially when it comes to air brakes and big trucks can "wreck" havoc.

Rough estimate is about 1/3 of the fire fighter fatalities each year (30-40) involve motor vehicle accidents, and almost all of those involve rollovers.

Speaking of wrecking havoc.........
Take a look at this video of an incident in Indiana a couple days ago. Mind the language if you have sensitive ears nearby, the language is about what you would expect witnessing this type of incident. Minor injuries.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi8EzvjeeCk