Clearance Lights Conversion to LED - without removing base

brianharrison

I am trying to determine if my Landmark (early 2011) has Bargman clearance lights. Does anyone know the answer? If not I'll call HL customer service with my VIN.

I am researching converting the Clearance lights (red and amber exterior) to LED. These are the lights along the sides of the trailer and also used for the understair light on my unit. Note: the front cap (top) clearance lights are already LED (but a different model #).

I have not been able to determine if the side Lights are Bargman brand, model #59 - and if this LED retrofit kit would work. --> Bargman LED Retrofit Kit

This picture shows it with the base, but the retrofit kit comes without the base - this is my preferred as my bases are currently painted (full body paint on my coach).

I searched and found Cookie had converted to LED, full housing and all; and a few others as well.

A guy over on the Wildcat forum did the retrofit kit and here is his DIY --> Link to Bargman LED Conversion DIY.

Cool! Any thoughts from people?

Take care,
Brian

Last edited:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
It looks like your only option will be the Bargman Conversion Kit.
Having the full body painted light bases limits your options.
Post some pics before, during and after the conversion.

Peace
Dave

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
One other option that would be a lot of work is to take an Exacto Knife and carefully cut around the existing light base and then remove it.
By some matching paint and paint the new base.
Then carefully apply some sealer, like a Butyl caulk, and install the new bases.
Touch up any place that might need it.
The reason I changed mine out is for more visibility. My side markers have 16 LED's. Two wouldn't cut it for me.

Peace
Dave

brianharrison

Hoefler - nope, not sure when they went to an incadescent on side clearance markers. The upper rear cap markers (red) are also incadescent, the tail/brake lights are LED (waterproof fixture) from factory.

It "might" be do to the fact that the simple oblong clearances are not waterproof and there may have been some issues with the LED circuit board (engine) shorting out (my uninformed hypothesis). Probably it was simply cost vs benefit. Only Heartland can say.

Are your side LEDs trouble free? Are they water proof? Would you know the brand and model. I am curious.

Dave - I agree, two LEDs per light are pretty weak lumens, IMHO. My current Front Cap LED clearances are 8 or 9 emitters per light, the rear tails are higher than that (have not counted).

Thanks.

Take care,
Brian

hoefler

Mine have been trouble free since I have owned it, about 3 years. The only problem I have had, they don't hold up to a tire blow out!

brianharrison

Incadescent - an ancient Peruvian coming down the Andes.

I know you mean "incandescent". Sorry Brian, I couldn't resist ;)

:D :D - Haha. Good catch. Yes you are correct - I do not have ancient Peruvians living in the crannys of my trailer. Gremlins yes, Peruvians no. :rolleyes:

wdk450

Would these work? http://www.rvpartscenter.com/ProductDetail.asp?PID=48002&SID=6&DID=191&CID=691

48002.jpg

sjs731

I tried those on the side marker lights on my Sundance and they work but fit tight against the cover. There are some that have 4 diodes on the top so they are not as tall and they work better.

Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk