Closet wall separating.

oscar

The divider wall between the far right and middle closet in the bedroom has separated. In fact, the shape of the closet/floor has changed to the point that I can't even push it back into it's place anymore. It is bowed as it appears it is now too long. And, very interesting, if you "dance" on the bedroom floor at about a once a second pulse, it moves side to side, by about an inch......

I've done the dance and had my bride look outside, and no flexing of any kind was noted.

Opinions?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-03-31 at 1.29.29 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-03-31 at 1.29.29 PM.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 186
  • Screen Shot 2016-03-31 at 1.29.45 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-03-31 at 1.29.45 PM.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 178

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
It looks to me like there is a possibility that you have frame flex. I don't have a Cyclone but that's the way my Bighorn looked when I had the flex.
Try hitching up and take a look at the wall. See if it moves back to where it is suppose to be. Mine moved about a half inch when hitched to unhitched.

Peace
Dave

oscar

Were you still under warrantee?

And yes, I went out and lowered the landing gear and took the weight off the hitch. Better "fit" on the wall, and no more sideways movement when I "dance".

oscar

OK, just got a call from Heartland regarding an other issue which I will not discuss yet and give them a chance to make it right. Starting a process, will lump this one in with that.

I will report back. Hopefully HL will do the right thing. I know they do on occasion.

wehavefun

I am hopeful of a good outcome, you have been a big supporter of Heartland. I am sure we will hear in time how things work out for you.

mlpeloquin

There are two frames fastened together. The main Lippert that the king pin fastens to and a second frame that is attached supporting the front floor. If the fasteners snap it will flex. The sub frame on my Big Horn had fasteners snap. It did not get as bad as yours because I noticed it when I set the kin pin on the truck. This is what I saw:

DSCF1442.jpg

This moved back into place when the weight was removed from the King Pin. That is why I did not notice it perhaps sooner. You could feel the frame move by putting your hand under the overhang as you put weight on and off the king pin. Now that it has been repaired, it has not moved. I also decided to lessen the road shock on the front frame by installing a Trail Air Flexair king pin. The front just floats and the chucking has been reduced one heck of a lot. The ride in the truck has improved so much I found myself driving with one hand on the wheel. Got to remind myself not to.

oscar

I've noticed the moving of the trim on the doors......

Tomorrow I have to take specific pictures of things and email them to HL. Then they will decide if they are going to get involved and to what extent. If they don't "get" the pictures I MAY just drive the 900 miles to Elkhart and show them "live".......

FWIW..... the "other" issue is the water intrusion into the bedroom slide outside wall....... As some of you will know it's possible to open the DS slam door on the pass through and have it touch the bedroom slide while extended. 99 times I checked..... the 100th time I retracted the bedroom slide with the slam door open..... crunching noise...... Bad design, but I was aware of it so, let's say my bad. Facia trim on slide bent.

Took it home and removed the trim to straighten and re-install. Well.......... turns out it was installed with not enough goop in all the wrong places. MAJOR water intrusion, for YEARS, and delamination of the outside wall on the slide. An engineering failure of the first order.

If yours is put together the same way it is rotting out right now, and you can't tell from the outside or the inside...... until it falls apart.....

Extend the slide, and remove a few of the screws from the underside that hold the flanged facia on...... if you see major rust on the screw, you'll know.

The saga continues.

- - - Updated - - -

I also decided to lessen the road shock on the front frame by installing a Trail Air Flexair king pin. The front just floats and the chucking has been reduced one heck of a lot. The ride in the truck has improved so much I found myself driving with one hand on the wheel. Got to remind myself not to.

Have a TS-3 for that very reason. Drive with one hand all the time..... ;-)

mlpeloquin

Marc, did you notice any unevenness in your bedroom floor also.

I didn't notice any unevenness on the bedroom floor. My sub-frame only was loose up from the the bottom and on one the left side, but not the front or right side. The slide functioned perfectly. I believe the the problem was on going from the time I purchased it. Gaps in the front storage area on the bottom left side 1/2" got up to the top 1/4". The screws kept backing out from the inside of the front storage area. By the time I noticed the movement the gap increased to about one inch at the bottom and a half inch at the top when the weight was on the king pin. Now that the problem was repaired, it is a tight as a drum everywhere. The bedroom slide now shifts slightly towards the bedroom door the last inch or so of travel. It did not do this before. It isn't much, but it is noticeable. If I had continued to pull the 5er, I think the front frame fasteners would have continued to fail one or two at a time. Then with enough of the floor frame loose the floor would have become uneven.

Last edited:

oscar

OK, sent many pictures. Got a request for more pictures.....Man's out of the office until 11th.

Meanwhile, I took a video of the closet wall. This is with the trailer hooked up to the truck. I am "dancing" on the bedroom floor. I have a TS3 hitch, so there's some "give" in the movement, but it clearly show's something's not right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU3TvhncOTU&feature=youtu.be

oscar

Update: After some back and forth Heartland has agreed to fix it at their Elkhart plant, provided none if it is due to water damage, which I doubt. So, we'll be trucking the 1000 miles out there soon.

They did not commit to owning the delamination issue, said they would look at it when I got there.

Keep you posted.

ray587

I have a 2012 Road warrior with upper frame flex. Just got authorization from Heartland to bring it to the factory for repairs.

oscar

Hitting the road for the 633 mile trip to Elkhart tomorrow. Will keep you posted.

oscar

An uneventful road trip to Elkhart. Quiet Saturday traffic, a pleasant night at a Flying J while the rains went over my head, and a sunny Sunday with equally quiet roads. Couldn't ask for better. If you ever come down I-80 through PA, there's a Taco truck at exit 256 that is AWESOME.

Guess I'm here on time for tomorrow 8am, LOL. The facility looks like a new one, and they put 5 parking spots in the back with full hookups, one with my name on it. VERY VERY nice reception! I am optimistic.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-08 at 4.35.57 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-05-08 at 4.35.57 PM.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 42

Bones

An uneventful road trip to Elkhart. Quiet Saturday traffic, a pleasant night at a Flying J while the rains went over my head, and a sunny Sunday with equally quiet roads. Couldn't ask for better. If you ever come down I-80 through PA, there's a Taco truck at exit 256 that is AWESOME.

Guess I'm here on time for tomorrow 8am, LOL. The facility looks like a new one, and they put 5 parking spots in the back with full hookups, one with my name on it. VERY VERY nice reception! I am optimistic.

Good luck with the repairs. Take pictures if you can.

- - - Updated - - -

While your there go see the college and have dinner there. Check out Legends of Notre Dame. Not a bad place to eat.