Coby Surround sound / DVD problem

Sundance_kid

Well only 1 day to get a new Coby (DANGIT!) so will give this one a try. Seems the dealer has 3 on stock. If this one goes away I'm going to call Heartland and see if they will cover part of the cost of a different unit.

Niles

We had the problem of DVD's freezing up also, called the dealer and no problem, got the new one yesterday. It has fixed the problem of freezing up now it just won't load the disc at all oh well. Going to take the trailer back this winter and get the quick winter shut-offs put in anyway, and I'll let them play with it.

newman

I don't mind the quality of sound out of the speakers, and I don't want to go through the hassle of trying to replace them anyways. I think I will buy a new DVD player, but I can't seem to find just the player with 5.1 capabilities. I don't need the extra speakers that would come with a whole system, and figure for the same money, I could buy a higher quality player only.

Sundance_kid

When I went to install the new Coby DVD player the dealer gave me, I noticed it was a different model # than the bad one. Anyway made it thru 3 movies with no problems. The old one was a model 925 and the new one was a model 937 maybe a bit of an upgrade was all it needed.

red4re

Dvd

These DVD units are made in China. I would avoid any electronics (and for that matter - most other things) made in China. They are just ****. I am going to try and order a unit with no electronics - and put in something better myself. Most of the LCD tvs are made in China too. They just don't last.

Considering a Sundance....

red

geeman53

Coby's are JUNK ! On Ebay-a whole Coby system including 5 speakers w/ subwoofer-$49
plus shipping.We have never owned such a cheap receiver,ever.On long trips,it is important to have a decent entertainment system.On weekend camping trips it would not be such an important issue to us.As with our terrible Mission tires,Coby receiver is being replaced .Heartland's way to keep costs down, costs us more money.
Geeman

seabee

Colby surround sound

:(I would like to know can I get the Colby surround sound system while watching TV,so far I only have SS with only the DVD.
Anyone know about this.None

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
With my system, (Olevia TV and Jensen JDV8035 stereo) - I push the MODE button on my stereo until I get to AV IN 1 - for the television to go thru my stereo speakers. Works great. :)

Jimmyt5

:(I would like to know can I get the Colby surround sound system while watching TV,so far I only have SS with only the DVD.
Anyone know about this.None
You have to run two RCA cables from the output jacks on the back of the TV to the Aux in on the Colby. Then put the Colby in Aux mode.

I don't have a Colby but this is how most of them work.

Jim

Netem

Another Coby suround sound going in the trash. We tried to use it over the 4th and about half way through the movie the sound went out and it sounded like a plane taking off. So far haven't found one with a am/fm built in it. Warrenty out last month but only second time using it.

TRAVELER07

Founding New Mexico Chapter Leader
HI Newman,Our coby DVD system did the same thing from when it was new I took it out and replaced it with a panasonic DVD system ,Have not had a prob since TRAVELER07

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
I just got an email from Circuit City. They have a Sylvania with the AM/FM for 99.00 in their specials page. Has a port for an MP3 player as well. Not the best probably, but we don't live in ours full time so don't want to spend a bunch.

Rookey

Hi Newman. That was the first thing I replaced when we bought our 2900MK. I had a fairly new surround sound system that I replaced it with. Added a DVD player, a sub-woofer, and kept the original speakers. Now we can really rock-out or watch movies in surround. Big improvement over the stock.

geeksrus

Andy,

Sorry to hear about your DVD player issues. Contacting your dealer is absolutely they correct first step.

Note that the factory does not follow most of the forums here except for the Ask The Factory forum. So they won't see your post here. But rather than duplicating it or moving it, let's give your dealer time to do the right thing on this.

Should you find that you need to contact the factory on this or other matters down the road, the number to Customer Service is 574-262-8030. Be sure to have your VIN ready as well as full details of your issue when calling Customer Service.

Best of luck and let us know how you come out on this.

Jim

Jim: As Director Of Owners Interest I feel that you should go to bat for us owners that are stuck with the Coby systems. These have to be the poorest quality system available. If Heartland wants to be recognized as a quality manufacturer why would they put such a poor product in the units? I feel that Hearland should be replacing all Coby systems at Heartland's expense even if the Heartland warranty has expired.

EH!

PS: a similar action should take place with the Apollo 1/2 Ovens.

jbeletti

Hi geeksrus,

Thank you for your input.

I'd like to update you on a few things on this issue.

1. Heartland moved away from using the Coby units a while back. Customer feedback drove this decision.

2. To my knowledge, we have warrantied these for all who had issues with them.

3. I know in many cases, we reached outside the 1 year warranty period on resolution.

Jim

Chickie

Colby DVD-925M Volume Control

I read the issues with this model and brand. I want to know if anyone had an issue with the volume control on this unit.

The surround sound speakers work however, when I try to turn down the volume on the Colby volume goes down. I lowered the volume to 0 and the surround sound speakers did not go down in volume.

It is like the volume is preset and the Colby unit will increase the volume above whatever the speakers are set at.

Anyway, anyone have an suggestions as to why I can't turn the speaker volume down?

I also had problems with the COBY in our Big Country. Dealer replaced it with a Hafler AVR600. Seems to be working OK. TV was not wired for surround sound. Had to wire that myself.