Coeur d'Alene to Seattle

noobee

I would like to avoid the Snoqualmie Pass on I90. Would it be better to take I90 to Ellensburg, then north on 97 & then take 2 west to the Seattle area.

Thanks

dave10a

Snowqualmie pass is one of 3 major passes at 3000 ft while Stevens Pass Northern Rt 2 is 4000 ft and White pass the Southern rt 12 is 4500ft. I haven't traveled Stevens or White but the altitudes do not sound like they are a better way to go if you are concerned about up and down travel. Snowqualimie seems to be the favorite of the 18 wheelers, judging by the traffic i have seen.

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
I just drove both Stevens and Snoqualmie in Dec. and Snoqualmie is much easier route.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
I agree with the others in that Snoqualmie is the easiest pass to go over. However if you are looking for scenic both Stevens Pass on State Route 2 and White Pass on State Route 12 are very beautiful. They are mostly 2 lane roads that are hilly and windy, but the scenery is definitely "purdy"! Just plan on adding 2 hours to your drive if you choose either of those compared to Snoqualmie. Another thing to consider is that if you are traveling during heavy snow conditions. If so, they you can by pass all of the passes by dropping down to the Tri Cities and taking I-84 up the Columbia River Gorge on the Oregon Side to Portland and then north on Interstate 5. We have had to do that route a couple times when we have had lots of snow pack and avalanche conditions on the pass.

Rod Ditrich

Manzan

Snoqualmie is easier depending on when you are traveling. The worst time to cross is Sunday afternoon. Too many heading to the rainy side at one time and the backups can be horrific. We just simply avoid Sunday PMs. Stevens is steep, but so is the last couple of miles on Snoqualmie, but a nice drive. We have been over both with the trailer and down the Columbia. The last time down, we used more gas than we did going up. Strong West winds in the Gorge but fun watching the Kite boarders and sail boarders.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Ditto on the kite and sail boarders!

Manzan... Are you going to make it down to the Oregon rally this year?

Kristy

Manzan

Kristy not sure but would really like to. Carol has some health issues at the moment and hope all is under control. Will know more in a couple of weeks. We are headed to Cape Lookout State Park tomorrow for a few days.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
We will hope things go well for Carol. Have fun at the Cape and give Carol a hug from us.
Kristy