Cold draft by your head due to windows?

Natesi

For those of you who have their headboard in a slide-out with windows on each side of the bed, does your head get chilled and drafty (when the windows are shut)? Just wondering -- I've noticed my feet get cold if they are by a window in a normal stick-built house. Having windows right by your head seems like it might be drafty.

rick_debbie_gallant

Guess it depends on the direction of the prevailing wind, speed, placement of your rig. Guess if it were to drafty you could use the head board as the foot board.:cool:

lwmcguir

Get the double pane windows if you are going to be a full timer. Stops a lot of the cold / heat transfer that would make you think it is drafty.

2010augusta

We got the double panes and have NO draft from the windows. It has been cool (20 F) here for the past week and no cold heads for us.

cjbearden

Visitor
We have dual pane windows and I notice the cold on the bed side facing the refrigerator slide. The entire corner radiates cold air. The 'nose side' window doesn't seem to be as 'drafty'.

After looking at all the corners in the rest of the RV, I notice they have corner trim pieces stapled in. The two corners of the bedroom slide do not have trim pieces. Doubt that would make this much of a difference but it is one idea?????

When we first got the RV, we had one instance of dripping window frame on the cold side of the bedroom slide but nothing since then. I keep the window covered with large towel and I have placed a towel under the small side table inside the slide to cut some of the drafty feeling.

About a month ago, we switched mattresses to a sleep number bed and no longer have the extra 5" of foam topper we had with the original mattress. The foam topper allowed the mattress to fit snugly under the side table. Now there is a 5" gap between mattress top and table. Now the draft is definitely more noticeable. When first getting into bed, the pillow and cover are freezing in that corner until I turn on the warming blanket. I don't like my head being that cold. Doesn't do much for the sinus problems.

If anyone else has thoughts on what we might do to stop the cold air, appreciate a post to this thread or a PM. Thanks.

C.J.

grizzlygiant

we put a piece of 1" foam-board insulation between the blinds and window. It makes a BIG difference. The insulation is available at Lowes.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We don't have dual pane windows and have not noticed any cold issues. Our slides seal very well so far.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We don't have dual pane windows and have not noticed any cold issues. Our slides seal very well so far.

Same here, although we've not camped in winter with it. Northern Michigan summers can have cold and windy nights (and days) that require the furnace be run.

caissiel

We use nice Canada Blankets, cover our ears and sleep. We to have Double thick windows that seam to keep glass temperature only 10 Deg F colder then the trailer inside temperature.

Two Hands

I have been thinking about this post ever since I read it and I should have make my thoughts known much sooner. I hate the idea of a bedroom slide with no windows because it is so claustrophobic. We do feel cold air from the windows, but we'll take that over a solid wall any time. And during the summer you just have to have that breeze from the cross ventilation of the two side windows.

Natesi

I think I'd rather have no windows, but that's just me. I prefer my sleeping quarters to be as dark as a cave and I'm not into breezes.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We are the same as Natesi. We took the silver bubble insulation and put between the single pane windows and the day/night shade in the bedroom. Put the same insulation above the plastic dome of the shower to stop light and stop cold air from coming in. We put an insulated thing from camping world in the bathroom vent.

We don't want to have the light come in, in the morning. We keep a small electric heater in the bedroom and close the pocket door. It keeps pretty warm when it was down to 20* the other day. No drafts or cold air coming in around the head board...

BC

An observation about a different thread...
at this point about 50% have locations....