Colorado Front Range Quick Trips

jbj

Hey folks. It seems like there are quite a few Colorado folks on here, so I thought I'd ask. Can you recommend some good spots on the front range or close to it for a two or three day trip. My wife has a job, so she would probably have to drive the car and meet us somewhere, so I'd like to keep it semi close to Elizabeth.

Any suggestions on where to go for a quick trip? Preferably away from an interstate.

Thanks everybody.

EPaulikonis

You didn't mention, do you want an RV park or some boondocking locations? If you want to be off the grid, I'd take a weekend drive along county road 67 (off US 85 near Castle Rock) through Pike National Forest. I always used to take my pop-up into the forest areas and found many locations to just pull off the road and enjoy the solitude. Favorite sites were back toward the Collegiate Mts. near Buena Vista. Especially liked the area on TX Creek on 742C near Taylor Park Reservoir. Rough trekking, so check it without a camper attached regardless of where you go.

jbj

Boondocking is cool with me. We have a 28 BRS. So not a huge camper. We certainly don't need plug ins. Just a little get away with the family. The Deckers campground looks pretty good. That kind of area if anybody is familiar. This whole reservation thing ticks me off. Having grown up here, it was always first come first serve. Kinda frustrating to see all the good spots booked months in advance. I just need to adapt and get on it. I have never thought about the fact I will be towing an TT until now. I just need to adjust my thinking a bit.

Thanks for the ideas. Sometimes the most obvious are not so obvious since I haven't been thinking about a having a trailer for the past 20 years.

olcoon

If you are up to it, Mueller State Park (LINK) outside of Divide, is an excellent park. Plenty of hiking & depending on the campsite, it's got some great views of Pike's Peak.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Our favorite close-by get away is the St. Vrain State Park at I-25 and Hwy 119 at the Longmont exit.

It is by the highway, but you really can't hear it.

Great place to bike, hike, fish and take photos.

jbj

Thanks guys. We just did a shake down one nighter trip to Chatfield. My son and I had a blast. Of course there were three of us with campers and we had a good time. I'd go back there since they had a nice playground for the six year old.