Common tow vechiles

Rogdog

I'm looking at my manual right now for my '05 2500HD. In that year of GMC the GCWR of the 2500HD and 3500HD SRW is exactly the same. 22,000. The dually configuration of the one ton is 23,500 but the truck itself uses up 800 pounds of that. The max trailer weight is the same across the board at 12,000 pounds. I believe that is for the pull type trailer. You only get an extra 500 pounds of pin weight for the 3500.

I believe the brakes and axles are the same in all the SRW models from GM and probably the dually too. I know the engine and trans are identical and will pull your house right off the foundation if you want.

The dually might give you some advantages but the only differences between a 2500HD and 3500SRW are the cab and bed configurations available and many of them overlap. If you want a really big trailer, both trucks are technically too small though you can see them pulling really big trailers everywhere you look. I didn't say its kosher, just common.

Uncle Rog

Rogdog, you are right all around, we have the same truck. Last time out we ran the horn over the scales and max'd out at 22,820, oops. Trying to get rid of some ballast to legal 'er up.......UR

While a 3/4 ton truck will handle the trailer you describe, a 1 ton truck will serve you better in the long run. You may someday want a bigger trailer. Also, I've never heard anyone complain about having too much truck. My TV is a 2005 Ford F-350 with single rear wheels (I didn't want duals). It only cost about $300.00 more than an F-250, I gained about 1,100 pounds capacity and I can't tell any difference in the ride.
If you order your new truck instead of buying off the lot there may be some other things you will want. I chose the "Camper Package" when ordering my Ford because it came with a HUGE rear anti-sway bar and some other more minor things. I figured it couldn't hurt and would probably help with a heavy king pin weight. It only cost $55.00 so I thought it was a good deal. Look for options like that when ordering.
There are rabid Ford guys, Chevy guys & Dodge guys out there, but in truth, these are all excellent tow vehicles so it's just a matter of preference. I chose the Ford at the time because I got an X Plan discount through my employer (not available at the time on Chrysler products) and because Ford had the largest rear seat at the time. The really great thing about having a fifth wheel is that you also get to have a really cool truck. To me, that's a "testerone festival".
In closing, I am somewhat of a freelance writer and several of my articles have been published on the internet. You can find my current article on European RVs at www.sherrodrvcenter.com . I have also written articles on safety & tow vehicles as well as other topics. if you would like me to send some or all (7) of them in a MS Word format then just PM or email me & I'll get it to you.
Good lukk!
Warren