Concealed carry permits

Interesting to read your comments on this - we are not used to having to 'arm' ourselves in our country (NZ), however as we will be spending a few months touring the USA we think it wise to do so. We do own firearms that we use for hunting, and have a Firearms Licence. Will it be a problem for us to purchase a gun in the States on our NZ Gun Licence? Also if we wanted to get a hand gun and concealed carry permit issued for the length of our stay in America, and we are not residents, will that be easy enough? We would bring the firearms back to NZ with us when we head home at the end of our journey.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Interesting to read your comments on this - we are not used to having to 'arm' ourselves in our country (NZ), however as we will be spending a few months touring the USA we think it wise to do so. We do own firearms that we use for hunting, and have a Firearms Licence. Will it be a problem for us to purchase a gun in the States on our NZ Gun Licence? Also if we wanted to get a hand gun and concealed carry permit issued for the length of our stay in America, and we are not residents, will that be easy enough? We would bring the firearms back to NZ with us when we head home at the end of our journey.

First let me say this: I don't want anyone coming here from NZ or anywhere else with the impression that it is unsafe to travel the United States. I do not believe that anyone on this discussion intended that. The fact that we are armed is what makes us safe. The "bad guys" don't know who has a gun and who doesn't. The power of the unknown is a great defense.

The chances of something actually happening is comparable to the chances of getting hit by lightning.

As far as getting a permit; in Oklahoma you have to go to a class, to the range, finger prints, FBI/OSBI investigation, and then a couple hundred dollars and minimum 90 day wait you might get your permit.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I agree with Rex about the "need" to go armed. Its a shame that any of us must, but unfortunately its a fact.

In Texas, you must be a resident of the state and I believe that most of the states with CHL's require citizenship but I'm not completely certain. In today's Homeland Security society, I think it would be dificult to justify how someone from another country that is not friendly to the United States was allowed to have a concealed handgun license.

SilverRhino

I also agree with Scott. Having retired from the Zoo business, I had to deal with the possibility of highly dangerous animals escaping into a park full of visitors. We always had emergency teams set up that trained for this possibility. One member would be armed with a dart gun loaded with a fast acting tranquilizer, with a back up person protecting them. The weapon of choice for back up was a 12ga shotgun, loaded with O buckshot. You had a much better chance of hitting your target and the impact of the shot had a greater effect on the animal than a misplaced rifle slug. Of course there were situations and animals that only a high powered rifle would be able to stop.

The key to any of these was to constantly train in the use of each of the possible weapons so that in a tense situation, and individual was familiar enough to be able to be perform the required task.

thanks all for comments......u can be sure we will be carrying a gun with us as we full time travel around our own country. Seems there are more and more nutters around and its better to be prepared and never have to use a firearm than wish u had one if a situation arose. Just the way of the world. :rolleyes:

TXBobcat

Fulltime
When I know I am not going to go into Canada I carry a 12gage double barrel carriage shotgun. However in the last 4 years I have only carried it once, I keep going to Canada. I have never had to even think about using the shotgun.

If you do not stay all night at highway rest stops, or boondock, like me you probably will never have any need for a weapon.

Some time ago on the Escapees Forum a lady had asked if she should carry a hand gun. Of course many said yes and many said no. One person said if you're in a campground just open the door and yell help you will have a dozen people come to your aid with their weapons.

For Greenstonekiwis, come on over and have a great time. Stay the night in our campgrounds and maybe some of the boondocking places if that is your desire. You should have no problems. I have visited with many folks from other countries and none of them had any problems. No place is absolutely safe. Who knows maybe you will be visited by a bear, cougar, wolf or one of our many friendly wildlife creatures. Just don't bring any Croc's we have plenty... :eek:

BC

porthole

Retired
One person said if you're in a campground just open the door and yell help you will have a dozen people come to your aid with their weapons.

Yeah - like a car alarm.........

Reminds of thread where someone mentioned watching an individual go around to all the trailers trying the compartment doors, looking for an unlocked unit, but she didn't call anyone :eek:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Yeah - like a car alarm.........

Reminds of thread where someone mentioned watching an individual go around to all the trailers trying the compartment doors, looking for an unlocked unit, but she didn't call anyone :eek:

Kind of hard to scream out the door for help if the intruder is standing in it with a weapon. Depending on their mental (and pharmaceutical) condition, they might not give a crap if you scream. And there's no guarantee that the senior citizen camped next to you can or will arrive in time after hearing your last blood-curdling scream. As the old saw goes, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

k6fn

K6FN
Good info for us concerned carriers.. Please, everyone, checkout Alan Korwins books from Bloomfield press.. the 2 main ones are "gun laws in all 50 states" and I think the most important one is "after you shoot" this book has many important items that may help you from being a convicted felon if you ever had to shoot, God forbid if any of us ever have to but God speed to us that can save someone else's life!!
both books are in the $15 range and every carrier should read them..
good luck to all of us..

jerry

TTEDGEM21

As a Marine, I was trained "to kill". As a civilian I do have a concealed handgun permit. I would rather stay alive and possibly be wrong (concerning abiding with all laws while traveling across state lines, as laws will vary...) than "dead" an in compliance with all state laws. An unloaded handgun is of no use to you when someone threatens your life.

Rodney_M

I would agree. I had rather protect my family or self than to not be prepared with all the home invasions and break ins it seems on the rise.. at least in the city I currently live.. they are in the news daily.. Im sure a camper wouldnt be any different to these people if they felt someone was an easy target. I will gladly deal with whatever consequences of having to use one if it means my family remains safe. I am a life member to the NRA and believe in our rights to own guns.. I do also know there are many people who dont have the sense to handle one properly as well, but all we can do for those is help educate them
As a Marine, I was trained "to kill". As a civilian I do have a concealed handgun permit. I would rather stay alive and possibly be wrong (concerning abiding with all laws while traveling across state lines, as laws will vary...) than "dead" an in compliance with all state laws. An unloaded handgun is of no use to you when someone threatens your life.

Good info for us concerned carriers.. Please, everyone, checkout Alan Korwins books from Bloomfield press.. the 2 main ones are "gun laws in all 50 states" and I think the most important one is "after you shoot" this book has many important items that may help you from being a convicted felon if you ever had to shoot, God forbid if any of us ever have to but God speed to us that can save someone else's life!!
both books are in the $15 range and every carrier should read them..
good luck to all of us..

jerry

I second Jerry on the excellent book by Alan Korwins. While it does contain the legal language covering self-defense laws in all 50 states he highlights the most important sections and shares important case history, interesting commentary in an easy to read, entertaining and sometimes humorous fashion.

A word of caution about bringing a handgun into NYS. The People's Republic of NY has no reciprocity agreement with any other state. While FOPA covers you while traveling through NYS, from a state where you can legally possess a handgun to another state where you can legally possess a handgun, it does not cover a stop and overnight stay in NYS. When traveling through NYS with a handgun the handgun must be unloaded and inaccessible (truck of the car or in the TT). In a situation where there is no separate compartment (motorhome) the firearm must be unloaded in a locked container.

Also, NYS law prohibits carrying a loaded rifle or shotgun in a vehicle. A rifle or shotgun even in the trunk of a vehicle must be unloaded, and I'd have enough concern about this requirement that I wouldn't carry a loaded rifle or shotgun in the TT while traveling through NYS.

Uncle Rog

IMHO, just figured that one out, concealed means just that, concealed.
When I was first issued my CCW it was a pretty straight forward process............
To start now would be a mind-boggling affair..............
As far as having a loaded weapon in the Horn why would you give LE a reason to mess with you at all?
I learned a long time ago that LE has enough people to mess with without bothering law abiding citizens................

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
That is absolutly correct. Concelled is concelled and if the law dosen't have probable cause to search your vehicle you won't ever have a problem. I've carry weapons conceled for years and no one has ever know that I was armed unless I wanted them to.

JohnDar

That is absolutly correct. Concelled is concelled and if the law dosen't have probable cause to search your vehicle you won't ever have a problem. I've carry weapons conceled for years and no one has ever know that I was armed unless I wanted them to.

Don't ask, Don't tell won't work for you in Michigan. When the officer runs your Driver's License in the computer, I'm sure it shows that you have a CPL. Best to not make them ask you about it. This is an excerpt from the Michigan rules for CPL holders:

X. Responsibilities While Carrying
A concealed pistol licensee carrying a concealed pistol must:

Have his or her Concealed Pistol License in possession at all times.

Immediately disclose to a peace officer, if stopped, that he or she is carrying a concealed pistol.

Display his or her Concealed Pistol License to a peace officer upon request.

Display his or her driver license or Michigan personal identification card upon request.

Not carry a concealed pistol while under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance or while having an unlawful bodily alcohol content. However, a licensee who has consumed alcohol can legally transport a pistol if the pistol is in a locked trunk or locked compartment or container that is separated from the ammunition for that pistol.

The licensee must have the Pistol Sales Record (RI-60) in his or her possession for the first 30 days after purchasing the pistol.
For more information on encounters with police, refer to the Michigan State Police’s Web site at www.michigan.gov/msp.

Jimmy

Don't ask, Don't tell won't work for you in Michigan. When the officer runs your Driver's License in the computer, I'm sure it shows that you have a CPL. Best to not make them ask you about it. This is an excerpt from the Michigan rules for CPL holders:

X. Responsibilities While Carrying
A concealed pistol licensee carrying a concealed pistol must:

Have his or her Concealed Pistol License in possession at all times.

Immediately disclose to a peace officer, if stopped, that he or she is carrying a concealed pistol.

Display his or her Concealed Pistol License to a peace officer upon request.

Display his or her driver license or Michigan personal identification card upon request.

Not carry a concealed pistol while under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance or while having an unlawful bodily alcohol content. However, a licensee who has consumed alcohol can legally transport a pistol if the pistol is in a locked trunk or locked compartment or container that is separated from the ammunition for that pistol.

The licensee must have the Pistol Sales Record (RI-60) in his or her possession for the first 30 days after purchasing the pistol.
For more information on encounters with police, refer to the Michigan State Police’s Web site at www.michigan.gov/msp.
The "don't ask, don't tell is not a good idea anywhere. All Officers appreciate you letting them know about your Firearm immediately. Stay safe!

JohnDar

I'd probably tell them I have a CPL even if I don't have a weapon with me. There are occasions where I have to leave it at home.