Considering a 2008 3400RL.

TimnJo

Just came back from looking at the above rig at a local dealer and we are considering accepting their offer. It will, of course, be dependent upon a full PDI in the spring, and we've already noticed an issue with the Thermopane window in the rear.

So, what, beyond the basics, should I be looking for on a rig of this model/vintage?

Just so you know, we currently own a 2002 Glendale Titanium 32E37 which is our second fifth wheel; we started with a '96 Glendale Golden Falcon 29RG over ten years ago, then trading up the the Titanium in '06 or so.

A superficial looking over didn't show anything to be concerned about and we really like some of the features on the Bighorn. I'm thinking the quality of construction, materials and design are on a par with the Titanium, would I be correct?

One thing does bother me and that is having the bathroom "in" the bedroom. I am an early riser and like the ability to completely close off the bedroom while I perform my morning ablutions, leaving SWMBO to have her beauty sleep. For those who are like me and already have this arrangement, is it an issue?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Tim and JoAnn

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Tim and JoAnn, welcome to the forum. This is a great place to find information on Heartland products.
You should get some feedback from 2008 owners.
In fact we used to own a 2008 3400RL.
You mentioned the bathroom in the bedroom. We don't have that now but really would rather have it. We like the roominess.
There should be an accordion divider wall attached near the dresser. That could give you some separation and privacy if needed.
Be sure to look at the springs. In some of the early years there were a few problems there, so check them out.
If the tires are original, Mission or Unicorn Express, it is time to change them out.
An already being an RV owner you know about caulking. Check it out.
Come back and let us know if you get the rig.

Peace
Dave

TimnJo

Thanks for your quick reply Dave.

I hadn't thought of the advantage of that extra room, you're probably right, getting dressed can be a bit tricky in our existing rig.

What was the nature of the issue with the springs?

I took a picture of the undercarriage, well as much as I could get considering the s**w (some consider that white stuff on the ground a dirty word), I'll be looking especially hard at that one.

T

TimnJo

Well we pulled the trigger and are now the proud owners of a Heartland product.

C'mon spring, can't wait to get the new rig on the road!

I had a good look at the springs, comparing them with some pictures from this site, as well as new rigs on the dealer's lot, and I think they must have been replaced already. The U bolts look brand new, are they galvanized? The springs themselves are somewhat rusty.

The tires are original so as part of the deal the dealer is going to replace them and install a wet bolt kit so it will be worry-free vacationing, at least this year <g>.