Considering a new Big Horn

cmckeever

craig j mckeever
if your bighorn has the 3 door shower, check the lock on the door,they ten to loosen up, your door door will slide back and fourth
and then shatter like ours did 3 mo after we bought it and the foctory wont back it up 385.00 we use a shower curtian good luck

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I don't own a Big Horn, I own a Landmark, I have had my share of issues but as I see it, there are problems with everything we own. I have had Water Leaks and a few other issues. The big thing to remember here is that Heartland has stood by me and fixed everything that has needed work. That reason alone was a big reason I went with a Heartland Product.

MTPockets

We got the Propane Generator and are glad to have it for the convenience. Had one in our MH prior to the 5vr. We don't use it a lot, but it's always there when we want it at the push of a button...for us it's 'well' worth every penny!

caissiel

We installed a w/d unit model 2100, by Spledid in 2005 (Minimum Size I recommend) and I can count on one hand the time we have used park washers. The other day I washed the king size flannel sheets set in the washer and I dryed the set in the camper dryer for $.25 of dryuing time. It only uses 1/2 the closet and above we use the closet for our jackets. Thats why we choose the Big Country model with the washer in the hall and not stuck behind the bed. Our washing basket is kept in the shower and has max 2 loads of washing, one whites and colored. With the w/d next to the shower, it's a non event to do washings.

brianharrison

Options I have asked for include the 6 pint leveling system, dual pane windows, Goodyear G-rated tires, and 12.75 X 3.75 brakes with EZ lube axles.

I would like to hear the experience others have had with the BH leveling system. Also, does anyone recommend ordering the MorRyde hitch? We want a camper that we can use for travel as well as extended stays (up to a couple of months). Any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

After 6 pints nothing seems level to me anymore.....

Sorry could not resist.....

That being said, this is the one option I wish I would have paid the extra $$ and had installed on my unit. I plan to buy it on the next unit; retro fitting it is quite troublesome (and expensive).

Brian

Speedy

With a washer/dryer in the bedroom and possibly a generator that 3/4 truck is going to maxed out pretty quick. I would put a hold on the purchase of the truck until you have the trailer all spec'd out and then calculate the weights and truck required tow those weights. As others have said, long box 4x4. The 4x2 does not save you much in capacity and is harder to find on a dealer lot.

DW_Gray

We are about to buy a 2012 Big Horn 3610 RE. We really like the extra large shower because we are big people ;-) What is the difference between a Big Horn and Landmark? Are they about the same? We are also test driving all the available diesel 3/4 ton trucks out there. Any advice??? Thanks, Red

The BH 3610 RE's GVWR is 14,000 pounds which is the lowest rating of any of the BHs and the GVWR goes up to 16,250 for the Landmarks (LM). There are a few 3/4 ton model trucks that have a maximum trailer weight reaching a little above 14,000 pounds. So technically, you could tow the 3610 RE with some of the correctly equipped 3/4 ton trucks safely. It appears a few Ford F250 models have the best maximum trailer weight reaching a little over 16,000 pounds. But if you decide on a LM, then anything less than a 1 ton will be too light.

MTPockets

As Speedy said .... Any Options add weight to catalog spec. the 3070 hitch weight is already listed at 2300 lbs. Generator, Washer/Dryer, dual pane windows, 2nd A/C, high gloss gel coat,.. these all add up to a bit of weight. Our 3055RL "Dry Weight" increased 750 lbs with 2nd A/C, Generator, Dual panes, Mor-Ryde, and Hi Gloss Exterior.... Didn't get it but Washer & Dryer would have been even more.... These options cut into your payload capacity for all your other stuff (clothes, kitchen ware, adult beverages)

tmcran

I have a Sundance. Can't speak on BH. However, neighbor got a used (2010 I believe) Cameo recently. WOW! what a unit. All the wiring,plumbing and etc.. very well done. Very impressed. Perhaps because its a much higher end unit than my Sundance. But QC looks outstanding. He is going out very soon so I will be interested in his report.

I have had my problems with my Sundance and HL has been easy to contact and deal with. Good Luck.

aatauses

You will enjoy your BH--since you have air on your truck the mor ride will just add to a smoother ride. We have a BH 3670 wiht a mor ride pin and an air hitch from Husky---you want all the air you can get to smooth and level the ride
Welcome to a great bunch of people who will help you a lot
al

FordMan1966

I see where you are from and I live in Maryville and have a Landmark Grand Canyon full body paint ordered from rvsforless now. Should be here in about 2 or 3 more weeks. They are great people to deal with. We considered the Bighorn partial body paint and finally decided on the Landmark. Good Luck

I have a new F350 DRW PSD to tow with.

The Key to your new BigHorn is a good dealer. I made a big mistake. It is a fantastic product unfortunately mine wasn't predelivered and part of the options I paid for didn't work from the git go. I am convinced after 4 new RVs this is one of the finest on the market but the dealer can turn the Dream into a nightmare!

jimtoo

Hi BigDavinNC,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

Yes, the PDI is a very important part of the purchase. You are so right about the dealer, he is a major factor in making you happy with your purchase.

The Heartland family is here to help.

Jim M

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
As to the reliability of the 6-point Level-Up...we were the first Heartland product to have it retrofitted to our '08 Bighorn back in July of '09...have used it continuously for three years, as we fulltime, and have had ZERO problems with it. Even had the fully automatic upgrade done in June of last year...LOVE IT! Willl never be without it again!!!

macjj

We recently bought a 2012 3070RL - Love it. I too considered a 6 point Level Up system - have it scheduled to be installed in the next month. Worth the extra $ - hydraulic is the way to go. Have worked with the electric in the past, got spoiled with our Class A - never go back. If you are considering (have not bought yet) - I would check out RVOutletUSA out of Danvelle (Ringhold) VA. We live in California, RV Outlet saved us over $20K (brand new) and had just the options the wife wanted. However they were unable to install the Level Up system or a generator. Their service department is limited, but their attention to detail and customer interaction was great. We spent about a year looking local and within the surrounding states. Happened to find this through RV Trader - thought it was a come on - but it wasn't. As a matter of fact, the owner lowered the price. Spent about $2K to go see ($500 deposite), and well worth the trip. They even held it on site until we could return to pick it up. No pressure sales - salesman was Mr. Bill GalYean, owner Mr John Merrics (888-532-0901) http://rv007.com/ (I guess he is a renegade). John provided the MSRP and it was clearly $20K cheaper than suggested.

I had them install strut supports on the cabinets above the sofa and chairs - primarly as these were difficult to keep open when storing stuff. But also noted it kept from pushing the doors out of thier hinger (as noted by others).

We have now been living in it for about a month - love it but anxious to get home. I will say it is not as insullated as described, but no worse than other coaches I have had. Going through a lot of propane in this cold winter weather (in Virginia). But the fire place works great. Other minor things to look into after yours.

Take care and be carefull of sharp turns.