Considering Sundance 298BH LXT 5th Wheel

pdmon

I am looking to purchase the Sundance 298BH LXT and would like some real owner feedback on Pro/Con's of this model.

Thanks

jimtoo

Hi pdmon,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'm sure you will get some replies from our other members soon.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

BobX2

Not familiar with that particular model, but I am extremely pleased with my Sundance XLT 245RL. Seems to be a great value for the money compared to similar, far more expensive 5th wheels. I've upgraded the tires, and put a MOR/ryde pin box on it and we are happy campers.

clight027

Hi pdmon,

I just purchased this model about a month and half ago (I'm a fulltimer). I love it, except for a few minor things...

- I knew this when I purchased that the bedroom ceiling was low. I'm 6'3", and I have to bend over more than I have in my last 5th wheel (I'm tall, I'm in the minority).
- In the master, there's about a foot of gap, then the floor rises about 4 - 6" (can't remember exactly), I suppose for additional storage space below.
- Same for the bathroom mirror, I have to nearly squat to look in the mirror (I have this problem any where I go).
- The master bedroom door opens out against the bathroom door, so they keep hitting each other. I've flipped the bedroom door around and shaved the bottom, so its good.
- my exterior door had a slight warp to it, letting in warm air and escaping cool air (factory warranty is replacing)
- on the interior, some of the molding is coming away (either the staples werent big enough or they weren't stapled in the right place.
- behind the master (queen) bed, is a space. I find that when I'm sleeping and sit up or spin around or get up, I bang my head on the top of that area...(I really don't know what its for)
- the TV is cheap and can't hear it well, even with the AC off (I suppose because the speakers are behind it). I bought a sound bar to fix my sound problem.
- it's annoying to have the water heater, lights, awning switches behind a cabinet door (with the TV in front of it). Anytime I want to turn on the hotwater, light, or awning, I've got to do a dance with my TV and cabinet.
- my kitchen sink came loose (away from the cabinet) and reseal/recaulk, but that was only because I tried to break loose a bag of ice on it....dumb, I know. I bought some clamps to re-tighten, but can't get to it very well and will have to reseal (I used a hydraulic jack to hold up until the sealant/caulk and clamp held it in place well.
- would've liked a little more counter space (but it is a camper)

The pluses:

- theres a ton of storage/cabinet space inside (of course I'm by myself), and usually can't find what I'm looking for because I've forgotten about the cabinets that I had.
- the camper is pretty stable during storms. We had severe thunderstorms last night and I didn't feel the camper move. I was in between two campers, but my previous 5th wheel, I felt every movement
- the single AC cools the entire camper very well on 95degree plus days
- the 2nd bedroom has plenty of space (I did remember the bench in that room, because it didn't really serve a purpose. If I needed more storage I would've kept it there.
- the bathroom is spacious
- the water heater is spitting out hotwater in about 3 minutes. I can turn off in 3 minutes and have a good 5 minutes shower.
- the master closet space is small, but decent. If I had someone else living with me, I'd probably be fighting for space (isn't wide enough).
- appreciate the bathroom cabinet/drawers.

Overall, I like it well. Honestly, I've only pulled it from Camping World to the campground that I'm staying at, and that's it. Hope this helps.

thanks
Chad
-

pdmon

Well, i took the jump and purchased the Sundance 298BH 5th wheel. I have been out in it once and love it. Planning several more trips in the near future. Thank you for all your input and advice.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Well, i took the jump and purchased the Sundance 298BH 5th wheel. I have been out in it once and love it. Planning several more trips in the near future. Thank you for all your input and advice.

Awesome!!

We we had a 2011 29 BHS XLT and loved it. Great trailer.

Enjoy!!