Cooling issue with Norcold refer (off-centered vents)

RB2012

After looking at the refridgeration posts problems i think a rep from norcold and dometic would be highly appreciated among the members including myself with issues on poor cooling on our units and what we need to do to improve them.

Thanks rb2012

jbeletti

Re: Need a norcold rep at rally

After looking at the refridgeration posts problems i think a rep from norcold and dometic would be highly appreciated among the members including myself with issues on poor cooling on our units and what we need to do to improve them.

Thanks rb2012

Waiting for confirm back from Thetford/Norcold but I want them there. Richard - did you sit through the seminar put on by Norcold in Urbanna? He did a great job. Trying to get the same guy back for Goshen.

Last edited:

RB2012

yes jim the rep at urbana was great. hope he comes with a bag of tricks

RB2012

Well Jim if I can"t get this fridge below 44 degrees I guess I will have to go residential goodbye, norcold they need to come up with a game plan to solve the problems the refridge section on the forum is huge

jbeletti

Well Jim if I can"t get this fridge below 44 degrees I guess I will have to go residential goodbye, norcold they need to come up with a game plan to solve the problems the refridge section on the forum is huge

Understood Richard - 44 degrees in the refer is higher than I like too. Coming to the seminar won't likely solve your refer issue though. I'd have this worked on by qualified personnel yet this month. Get it fixed so you can roll into Goshen and not have to worry about it.

Last edited:

RB2012

Understood Walt - 44 degrees in the refer is higher than I like too. Coming to the seminar won't likely solve your refer issue though. I'd have this worked on by qualified personnel yet this month. Get it fixed so you can roll into Goshen and not have to worry about it.

Well Jim I hate to post this but here goes I had a reputable service rep in florida come to the unit 3 times and he said heartland keeps him in business because they do not center the upper and lower outside vents on the fridge they are off to the side therefore a hot spot is created on that side making the fridge inefficient. I checked three cedarcreeks in the park and he is right there vents are centered and they are larger. He said it is what it is

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)

Well Jim I hate to post this but here goes I had a reputable service rep in florida come to the unit 3 times and he said heartland keeps him in business because they do not center the upper and lower outside vents on the fridge they are off to the side therefore a hot spot is created on that side making the fridge inefficient. I checked three cedarcreeks in the park and he is right there vents are centered and they are larger. He said it is what it is

Interesting. My vents are centered on the back of the refrigerator compartment. Also, Did the Cedar Creeks you looked at have the bigger 4 door refrigerator? Mine has the bigger vents because of the larger reefer. A big issue with high temps in reefers in slide outs is the lack of airflow over the cooling find on the back of the reefer. I forced an existing baffle to flow the air thru the fins. That helped quite a bit. Also added a dual fan that blows air over the internal fins and that helped a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Re: 2015 Goshen Rally - Tour Tickets Still Available

Yes there are a lot of other things that would make a frig not cool as good, other than just that the vents are not centered. Sounds to me like a repair guy is blaming Heartland for not being able to fix something that is working on a lot of other unit. But this is JMHO. Also this seems to not really be the right location for this issue!

jbeletti

Richard - if this "off-center vent" is contributing to your refer not cooling properly, then this is Heartland's, not Norcold's issue.

I'm moving all these refer posts to the Appliances sub-forum as it will be more helpful there to those most interested in your outcome - as it may help others.

danemayer

Airflow through the vents is a key factor to effective cooling, and it's possible that left-to-right alignment could contribute to problems. But service rep observations like this always leave me wondering why the failure rate isn't much higher than what we see on the forum. Given that the overall
number of posts about refrigerator problems is relatively low (compared to the 2010-2012 time frame), I'm wondering how significant the centering observation actually is. Your rep made it sound like it's very common, but we're not seeing posts that reflect that observation.

Did your Florida service rep suggested adding a fan in the back to force more airflow. That was a very common approach for years with Dometic RM1350 4-door refrigerators. It's inexpensive and easy. In fact Dometic even provided a fan kit with thermostatic control. Not sure if Norcold does.

And as previously mentioned, correct baffle installation is pretty important to effective cooling and heat transfer.

Harry1

Richard, I just went through the same issues you are having and was told the same thing. I had to have the cooling unit replaced after 12 months on a new BH3010 where the Norcold 2 door fridge is in the slide. The bottom and top vents are not centered over the backside of the unit. Looking from the outside the vents are too far to the right (most likely because of structural framing inside the wall). This does not allow for optimal movement of hot air even with the 2 condenser temperature controlled fans on the top side. Our mobile tech service said the same thing about Heartland units with these outside vents not being centered and creating a hot spot to the left side. Baffles are installed so that does not seem to be the issue. That said, our new cooling unit is now running great with excellent temps inside the freezer and fridge and we are still in Florida with high 80 degree temps. Not sure if over time, that I will experience the same cooling unit problems. This backside venting discussion/possible issue, seems to be with units that are in the slides with top and bottom venting. Heartland should investigate these failures as it could be a design flaw on their part.

RB2012

Richard, I just went through the same issues you are having and was told the same thing. I had to have the cooling unit replaced after 12 months on a new BH3010 where the Norcold 2 door fridge is in the slide. The bottom and top vents are not centered over the backside of the unit. Looking from the outside the vents are too far to the right (most likely because of structural framing inside the wall). This does not allow for optimal movement of hot air even with the 2 condenser temperature controlled fans on the top side. Our mobile tech service said the same thing about Heartland units with these outside vents not being centered and creating a hot spot to the left side. Baffles are installed so that does not seem to be the issue. That said, our new cooling unit is now running great with excellent temps inside the freezer and fridge and we are still in Florida with high 80 degree temps. Not sure if over time, that I will experience the same cooling unit problems. This backside venting discussion/possible issue, seems to be with units that are in the slides with top and bottom venting. Heartland should investigate these failures as it could be a design flaw on their part.

No problem in moving thread. I know everyone has there own remedies but I just wish there could be some sort of test to get to the bottom of these problems whether its an addition of a fan, or a bad thermistor, sucking air, door seals, location of outside vents an so on. Now just to add a tid bit of info I have been sitting for 6 mos in Fl and will be heading to the rally shortly and there was a thread stating that when you start moving again all problems will go away because of an liquid blockage. Seems strange to cure the problem that way but if it works so be it.

Garypowell

We have a 3010 with double door frig and we have trouble keeping it above freezing in the refrigerator section. So this problem might not be universal.

I doubt that the issue is "not centered outside vents". If that were the case, every Heartland unit with this configuration and this Norcold model would have the same problem. It is also interesting that another post stated they had the same problem, had the Norcold refrigerator replaced and now the refrigerator is working fine. If the problem was a Heartland design problem, replacing the refrigerator would not solve the problem. There might be an obstruction between the upper and lower vents or more likely an issue with the Norcold refrigerator. Based on my past experience with Norcolds, I'd bet your problem is with the refrigerator. It would be interesting to have both a Norcold and a Heartland rep discuss this issue at the rally.

mslater

mine failed this year for same reason (explained by mobile tech) bad air flow in the slide ….lasted only 8 months of use just out of factory 1 year warranty …luckily extended warranty covered it ….mobile tech said mine was the 5th one he had changed out this year in our park alone …. also said he is replacing a lot of the residential ones also because people are putting in cheap chinese replacements

jbeletti

mine failed this year for same reason (explained by mobile tech) bad air flow in the slide ….lasted only 8 months of use just out of factory 1 year warranty …luckily extended warranty covered it ….mobile tech said mine was the 5th one he had changed out this year in our park alone …. also said he is replacing a lot of the residential ones also because people are putting in cheap chinese replacements

Did the technician that replaced your refer, also do something to improve the airflow that he felt was the failure cause? And if so, how did he improve the flow (vent relocation, baffling, fans etc.?) Thanks for sharing as this could be helpful to others.

Harry1

Jim, in my case no. The cooling unit was replaced but the baffling was correct and the Norcold double door fridge already has 2 condenser fans thermostatically controlled. There must be framing in the wall (vertical stud) that prevents the vent covers from being centered with the fridge being in the corner of the slide.