corps of engineers parks

jtjt

Has any one camp at any of the corps of engineers parks and what do you think of them. I want to try they out when we start full timing. I have my senior pass for the national parks.:)
jtjt

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I enjoy the COE parks whenever we can. The senior pass gets you half price. They have a max 14 day stay but some attendants let you move sites to get around that. The sites are usually large and level.

Gizzy

We always try to stay at COE parks when we can. They are the best bang for your buck and I can't remember staying at a bad one. Be aware that they are now cutting back on the times they are open. Often they completely close some of them during off seasons. Remember, they are run by the Army and I'm sure they are at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to the priority of receiving money, gotta fight the wars first. Check out recreation.gov for info and reservations.

GOTTOYS

We stay at one in central KS every year. It cost $11.00 for 50 amp and water with a dump station during the normal season with our Sr. pass. We store our trailer near there in the Fall and pick it up again toward the end of January when we head south. In January it cost us $3.00 a night as the water system had been shut off. Stiil had the 50 amp power. We brought a couple 5 gal jugs for road water so we were fine for a night or 2. There were a couple places we could get water if needed. 58 degrees and we had the place to ourselves...On a reservoir with concrete pads, covered concrete patios, paved roads..Could have spent the whole Winter there at that rate..One of the best places we stay at!...Don

pegmikef

They are great and really plentiful here in Texas. They are our park of choice, half price with the senior pass. always clean and well maintained, most have covered tables at each site, all have power and water, and some have sewer for a couple of extra bucks (Copperas Creek on Proctor Lake for example). In Texas there is at least one, and sometimes several COE parks on most lakes. Recreation.gov is their web site and I always carry the book "Camping with the Corps of Engineers" available from Amazon. com for a few bucks. It is a concise guide, by state, to all the parks and lists all of the amenities. We have never been disappointed. As said earlier, in the winter months some parks are closed and in others parts of the parks are closed. Also some of normally reservable sites become FIFS in the winter. It is best to check the prospective park on line before going there unless you are familar with them. I don't think I have ever paid more than 12 bucks a night . . . and they are always on a body of water and normally have boat ramps and fishing docks. Enjoy!

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
The COE campgrounds that I've stayed are very nice. Many have very wide open sites and usually well patrolled to prevent trouble on the weekends.
Usually they are located on a resevoir or on the Missisppi river.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We like the CoE parks. We are staying in one now. Willow Beach CoE in Scott, AR. Never been to this park but it is a small but very nice park. We have stayed at Maumelle CoE park northwest of Little Rock but it was busy this time so we checked this one out now and are very happy.

If you want to find a CoE park try these websites.
Corp Lakes Gateway
Recreation Gov

As stated above the sites are ususally $20 a night or less and with a Golden Age Passport you get half off. We stayed outside of Nashville for a week while I went to my Navy Ship's 50yr reunion and it cost us $70. That was one night at a KOA..

Go for it you will enjoy the parks.

One note... They do not have the same childrens playgrounds but they do have some and then the entire lake...

BC

Wharton

I had heard it is difficult to get into COE CGs. Many of these parks are have a reservation system and people reserve them for the entire season(different names, many reservations). I have also heard that, due to the economy, there are many "permanents" in the COE parks. Has anyone encountered this??

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
about have of the sites are reservable in the COE campgrounds. I have yet to encounter a completely full COE campground on a thursday but by saturday they can be full for the weekend. holiday or local event weekends can be a different matter so you do need to plan ahead somewhat. I have not seen "permanents" at the COE parks but some of the county parks have that problem since they do not have a regular CG host on site.

wdk450

My couple of stays at 2 COE lakes in Northern California (in off season - Pre month of June) have been in nearly empty campgrounds (1 night with only 1 other camper). The regular sites are no hookups with showers, water spigots and dumpstaions available.

I might add, that I have encountered WorkCampers at both lakes, so I assume that is the COE standard. Not a bad stint, to stay at a beautiful lake with full hookups, free (or even paid a small amount). The one here in Orland even had overhead shelter roofs for the RV's.

bobber

We have been working as Gate Attendants in the summer and volunteering at Corp Parks for the last 7 years. We have had very good experiences with the parks and would recommend them to anyone. Some of the campgrounds are open year round. If you are in NC or VA near Kerr Lake there will be one loop at North Bend Park open all winter. The charge is $10 including electric (water is at dump station) or $5.00 with Golden Age/America the Beautiful. We enjoy winter camping more than summer and look forward to it. You are only supposed to stay 14 days at a time in 1 park but can change parks. (if the attendant lets you move sites and change the name he he is definately not going by the rules). It is first come first serve but has never been full in winter. Almost every campground has walk in sites that you dont have to make reservations. There are no permanents in the corp. parks. They have been upgrading the playgrounds and have super setups.

wildwolfproducts

Also don;t overlook the TVA campgrounds along the Tn river systems if your around Ky,Tn or AL. These are also for the most part half price with your card. http://www.tva.gov/river/recreation/camping.htm Plus if you or anyone else is looking for Camp Host deal. TVA has openings for a lot of there campgrounds next season . I Know the one here below Pickwick Dam in South West Tn is.
Pete

lwmcguir

We live next to Harlan County Lake in Nebraska. Great place to camp with numerous campgrounds available. Several of the parks are Corp maintained. Two full service marinas and several restaurants nearby. If you are traveling on I80 or I70 it is about an hour from either.

olcoon

Another good one in MO is Indian Point. It's close to Silver Dollar City & Branson. The only drawback that we've seen is that it isn't FHU, may only have elec., but I think they also have water, and if I remember right they are all back in. It can also handle big rigs & is on Table Rock.

Paul & Nan

We just got home today from Rocky Point COE on Ft Gibson Lake in OK. It was very nice, not all sites very good for our bigger rigs. It was $9/night W/E. Was full last Sat when we got there, had to move sites on Sun, pretty much empty all week and when we left today. Beautiful park.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I think all of the CoE's parks are Electric and Water with a Sewer dump. All of the sites I have stayed in are paved, quite long and have a lot of room between them. And as said earlier the price is right.

BC

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Corp parks here in Il have some full hook ups and some W/E. We stay at Carlye lake every year for 2 weeks I think it was 12.00 for full hookups the sites are large and paved very nice parks!!