Correct PSI for Water

rlkubi

We have a Heartland North Trail 2010 and I'm not sure of the max PSI. Right now we have a 45 regulator but showers are not good. Can someone help?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
There are a couple of things that might contribute to your poor water flow in the shower.
You may have a regulator that allows 45 psi, but the flow rate may not be there. The best regulators, which are adjustable, will allow for a higher flow rate than the $10 cheapo regulator.
The shower head may have a flow regulator in it. Many people drill out or remove that flow regulator.
RV shower heads are not known to have good flow. An upgrade to the Oxygenics shower head will help. IMO.

Peace
Dave

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I am not exactly sure, but I think that 45 psi is what is recommended by the manufacturer. That information should be in your owners manual.
I keep mine set at 55 psi.

Peace
Dave

Gaffer

Upgrade to the Oxygenics shower head. You won't believe the difference at the shower. Even at 40 PSI.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
As Dave stated, you need a regulator that has at least 5-6 gallons of flow rate. My regulator is set at 50# and my showers are good.

alaska dodge

We didnt get a manual with ours. Which model of Oxygenics shower head please.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1368457080.698916.jpg

Here is the one I purchased, it work great

Bill & Katherine

2013 Cyclone 4100
2012 Dodge Megacab 3500 Dually, 6.7L max tow

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
X3 on the shower head! Even with the worst water pressure, that head gives it more "umpf".

mikeandconnie

I noticed at Camping World yesterday they now have the simple screw on regulator but a high flow 50 to 55 PSI setting (12 bucks). I bought one and it works very well compaired to the older low flowone . Here a link.. The oxygenics shower came with our LM and works very well and I can take a long shower without running out of hot water. I think this is it here.

evolvingpowercat

I also have the Oxy shower head and it draws no more than 2.5 gallons per minute but it feels like a lot more because of the clever way it mixes air with the water coming out of the shower head. It works fine even with the Heartland OEM Surflo pump which only puts out a max of 3.2 gallons per minute at about 30-35 PSI.

The pressure regulators will need to have more city water pressure than the RV pressure is set to by about 10 PSI or more to be totally happy, That is - there is a minimum pressure drop across them to overcome the mechanical forces of the springs etc inside of them. I would regulate down to the same as what the Surflo puts out or about 35-40 PSI max.

You can buy a dial pressure gauge at Home Depot / Lowes etc. for under $ 10. It just screws on the faucet to check the pressure there. If the water pressure never goes above 50 PSI at your camping space faucet at night then you may want to not use the pressure regulator there. However many places you will need it as the pressure will be over 60 PSI. For example at my home in Overland Park Kansas which is in a lower elevation area of town the pressure coming from the water meter is 120 PSI and as high as 150 PSI at night. I regulate it down to 55 PSI with a high flow regulator with 3/4' inlet and outlets. These cost about $50 at Home Depot / Lowes etc. Some people use these for their 5th wheels too, in series with a house style water filter.

danemayer

If the water pressure never goes above 50 PSI at your camping space faucet at night then you may want to not use the pressure regulator there.
I think it would be hard to know that the water pressure never goes above the reading you take one time. You might find that water pressure varies considerably at different times of day.

evolvingpowercat

My point is if you put a pressure regulator in series with a water tap that is low pressure at the times of day or night when everyone in the campground is using water it will just make things work inside the camper in terms of water flow at those times of day because you lose another 10 psi more across the pressure regulator when there is any flow going thru it. That said I have not yet camped anywhere with low enough water pressure where this would be a problem.