Costly Milk Shakes

dlw930

5bc147231fab281ff7aca6ef9523d0c6.jpg

Yesterday afternoon, on our way from Fredericksburg, TX to a campground south of Fort Worth, the DW commented she was hungry for ice cream if I could find a place. Knowing there was a local burger and ice cream place in the town we were approaching, I prepared to look for a place to pull over after making a right turn a side street. All seemed fine until I pulled over and attempted to park off the street and felt some resistance, but thought it was due to a slight hump in the shoulder. I pulled forward a few more feet to get the rear of the trailer off the road.

It was not until getting back in the TV with two shakes and a "pup" cup and putting the TV in gear that I knew something was amiss. I got out, walked around the truck and saw the front door side tire. I don't remember saying anything, but I know what I was thinking.

I then walked around on the driver's side of the TV and saw the loose breakaway cable with the pin laying on the bed of the truck. After looking at the rubber laid on the asphalt, my explanation of what happened is this: As I was making the right turn, slack was at least partially removed as the hitch locking bar moved farther away from the breakaway pin. I had some wire pet fence panels in the truck bed behind the hitch. I think the cable caught on the corner of one of the panels and pulled the pin as the turn was made.

I'm at Discount Tire getting a new Goodyear G614 mounted as I type this. I'm going to be more mindful of what I carry in the pickup while towing from now on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
So David....You never said how the Ice Cream was????
Your post is a great reminder for all of us.
Safe Travels.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Ouch
Hope the ice cream was good but what a great reminder about the break-away cable and the importance of checking it.

jimtoo

You might want to check the brakes on the other wheels. I would be concerned as to why only 1 locked up when the pin was pulled. All 4 should have had voltage applied and caused the brakes to be applied.

Jim M

Bones

that definitely was an expensive milk shake. Did the DW get the blame for that one.:cool:

farside291

I just bought a set of those portable pet fences and was considering transporting it in the same location. Now I believe I will keep them in the front storage bay. Sorry for your troubles, but a lesson for the rest of us. Safe travels.

dlw930

You might want to check the brakes on the other wheels. I would be concerned as to why only 1 locked up when the pin was pulled. All 4 should have had voltage applied and caused the brakes to be applied.

Jim M

Jim,

That bothered me too. Will definitely check it out before we head out on the road again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I've been carrying a portable porch w/steps and after it caught my breakaway cable- twice -while we were in Mission, luckily in grass and sand, no damage done. I have put the offending item in storage at my daughter's house.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

pegmikef

David, sorry about the tire and brake situation, but at least the shake was good. I just had my annual (12,000 miles) running gear maintenance and inspection which included repacking my bearings and they found one malfunctioning brake which they fixed so be sure to check those other brakes as Jim M. suggested.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I'm stopping at CW today to get a couple of things for our trip to Tucson tomorrow.

I think I'll add one of those to my list of things to get.