Couple of Issues

Hunter11

That is great news they got you fixed up. Did you speak to someone at Heartland that got this done for you? If so could you give me a name as I intend to call Monday about ours not working. Please let us know how it works on your trip. Plus our main AC unit not blowing enough air is not cutting it today with temps in the low 90's. If I knew where to look for this "foam block" that might be causing it I would try and fix it myself, but without knowing for sure what I am looking for I have no way to know where to start.

Garypowell

Re: AC Low Air Flow

I saw the other thread but have never heard of this foam plug. Might have been one isolated incident.

Get on step stool with thin flat blade screw driver and remove, I think, four screw covers. Remove the screws underneath. The shroud might come down. If not take the lint screen off and there are probably more screws in there.

Once the cover is off you can reach up into the unit all the way to the outlet duct on either side.

OBVIOUSLY TURN OFF THE POWER.

once ce your hands are out you can run the unit in that configuration and see how much air is moved around.....take the shroud off of the bedroom unit and compare it.

jnbhobe

Two things I have done, one is to pull the vent covers and put a flashlight in the duct then put a mirror in the vent to make sure they are clear. Take aluminum tape and make sure all the transisions are smooth. There is also a modification called Timk's or Tink's tent that is a diverter in the air box that works well.

Rickhansen

You should have a look at the Heating/Cooling guide under Tools/Heartland Owners Manuals.

There is no foam block, such as you describe that I am aware of.

My first hunch is that there is a thin foam barrier that separates the A/C supply and return plenums. It is held in place with an adhesive. If it is not properly sealed, the supply air is sucked right back into the return air. This will cause very low airflow, and will quickly freeze up the coil. There is lots of good information there. You might also use the forum search function, you have access to years of experience on every subject that way.

Hunter11

Thanks guys but this unit has the whisper quiet dual AC's so there is no accessing the unit from the inside. I guess when I call Heartland Monday about our other issues I will see about getting this looked at. I did do the same mods to the AC units in our previous unit to the supply and return plenums.

aRAYwego

Hunter11:362277 said:
That is great news they got you fixed up. Did you speak to someone at Heartland that got this done for you? If so could you give me a name as I intend to call Monday about ours not working. Please let us know how it works on your trip. Plus our main AC unit not blowing enough air is not cutting it today with temps in the low 90's. If I knew where to look for this "foam block" that might be causing it I would try and fix it myself, but without knowing for sure what I am looking for I have no way to know where to start.

My dealer took care of contacting heartland for me. I will give him a call monday and see if I can get the name of the person he dealt with so you can talk to somebody who is aware of the issue.

Hunter11

Another issue I found last night while trying to figure out what is causing our low air flow issue is none of the return air vents have any filters. Has anyone else noticed this with there units? They are the same round vents as the outlet side but nothing in them to filter the return air. I can't imagine it would come from the factory with no way to filter the return air going into the AC units.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We definitely have the filters in all the return vents...have cleaned them many times. You definitely have an issue...we use the main unit by itself most of time and it will freeze us out of the living room.

Hunter11

Just an update on the AC air flow problem. I pulled all the "outlet" side vents and to be honest the air flow in the duct work appears to be good. The problem seems to be the first vent in the line at the back of the unit and the last vent in the bathroom is where all the air is coming out. The three other vents in the living room the air is flowing by them so fast it is not coming out of the vents. I am not sure how to remedy this but it is obvious to me that if we could get good air flow out of those three vents in the living area it would cool that area fine. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Second thing I noticed is that it appears the duct work between the bedroom and living areas are not connected. When one or the other is on you only get air flow in that area not out of the other areas vents.

Also I found that all but two (the first ones I pulled and checked yesterday) of the return vents do have filters in them. So I feel like two where missed and I am sure I will be able to get two new ones sent to me to replace those to.

Thanks for all the help trying to get these issues worked out. We really like the new home if we can just get the two major issues worked out (AC and Residential fridge inverter) we would really be happy.

aRAYwego

It appears that the inverter issue is finally solved. The Magnum MS2012 inverter/charger has fixed the problem. Not sure about the a/c issue tho and sure I will be plenty involved in that as well. I noticed the same thing with air flow in mine too. Not gonna cut it in 110 degree heat.

Garypowell

I have a 2013 so things might be different in your outlets but Home Depot has a round outlet that fits perfectly in the hole in the ceiling. You have to remove their ring but once done fits perfectly. It is adjustable so you can throttle back on those outlets that have the most air coming out.

I only put them in the bedroom and bath. This way on cooler days I shut off the bedroom vents but use the bedroom A/C to cool the whole coach. We work out of our unit and this saves the noise of the main unit when we are working or watching TV.

At night we do the reverse....but let the air out everywhere.

I hear what you say about the ducts not being connected which certainly could be but it also could just low air flow.

Another thing I noticed about my coach was loss of air out the end of the ductwork. I took what I call silver A/C tape and built a false wall on the dead end side of the last hole on both runs. Gained a fair amount of air flow this way.

Some complained when I posted this that in theory there was supposed to be this long dead end for air systems to work correctly. I'll take more air flow (and cooling) over theory any day.

Hunter11

Gary, thanks for the info on the vents. Do you remember what part of the store you found them in?I also noticed when I opened the vent in the bathroom that they cut the duct work where a 2X4 runs up there and there is a big hole right there which is losing air. I think sealing the end of the duct work is a good idea. I did that on our last unit and increased our air flow a bunch by doing so. We have owned it 7 years with no issues with it.

Garypowell

They are with the heating ductwork and registers. Just found them on the HOme Depot site as:

Speedi-Products 6 in. Round White Plastic Adjustable Diffuser
Not Yet Rated

Said they were $15 each I remember them as closer to $20. You have to take the backing ring off and depending on your duct depth you might have to remove some plastic that goes up in the duct (from the vent itself) so it will fit and does not block the cross flow.

I had to double nut the shaft as when moving some would vibrate, spin and unscrew the adjustable part and would find them laying on the bed or about to drop off the fixture.

It it also seems when I would find them they would only have 3 so I'd have to wait until the next town to buy the rest.

Hunter11

I tried an experiment after the main AC unit has run for 4 straight hours with the outside temp at 90* and the thermostat set at 75*. I pulled the last AC vent in the living room before it goes to the bathroom and put a rolled up hand towel in the duct and blocked any air from going to the bathroom. We instantly felt a lot more air out of the living room vents and the AC went off within 5 minutes. I was actually able to bring the temp down to 73* and have it shutdown within 15 minutes of doing so. The problem with this is no air flow to the bathroom. I don't know how Heartland will fix this problem and still have airflow to the bathroom. If the bathroom vent was tied into the bedroom AC duct work we would not have this problem. I will be calling Heartland in the morning to see what they suggest.

aRAYwego

Hunter11:362461 said:
I tried an experiment after the main AC unit has run for 4 straight hours with the outside temp at 90* and the thermostat set at 75*. I pulled the last AC vent in the living room before it goes to the bathroom and put a rolled up hand towel in the duct and blocked any air from going to the bathroom. We instantly felt a lot more air out of the living room vents and the AC went off within 5 minutes. I was actually able to bring the temp down to 73* and have it shutdown within 15 minutes of doing so. The problem with this is no air flow to the bathroom. I don't know how Heartland will fix this problem and still have airflow to the bathroom. If the bathroom vent was tied into the bedroom AC duct work we would not have this problem. I will be calling Heartland in the morning to see what they suggest.

Keep us posted Hunter11 please. This may just be my next issue to tackle.

Hunter11

Well I called Heartland this morning and talked to them about our issues. The residential fridge inverter issue is evidently a known issue but I was told Heartland has not sent any 2000 watt inverters out as a fix for this issue. I guess we will see what they come up with as a fix for ours. Also having the AC issue addressed when I get a tech out.

aRAYwego

Hunter11:362521 said:
Well I called Heartland this morning and talked to them about our issues. The residential fridge inverter issue is evidently a known issue but I was told Heartland has not sent any 2000 watt inverters out as a fix for this issue. I guess we will see what they come up with as a fix for ours. Also having the AC issue addressed when I get a tech out.

Hunter11, give me a couple hours til they open at home and I will call the service dept at home and find out who they dealt with. Its funny how its a known issue but they really "know" nothing about it and we have to find out about it when the items just dont work.

Hunter11

If you don't mind PM any information you get. I would prefer not to us any names here on the forum and take a chance on getting someone in trouble.

aRAYwego

Thats what I was thinking too. Dont want anyone in trouble but want everyone to get their issues corrected. Sounds like maybe just a communication problem in their office.