Couple of Issues

Seren

8.5 amps times 120 volts is 1020 watts

1000 watt inverter running at 85 % efficiency (typical is 850 watts). Even at 90% you are still 120 watts under.

As much as I would like to put a residential in our current trailer, and will put in in the next trailer, it won't be sized with less then a 2000 watt inverter. And at that it will be a quality inverter, Magnum being among the best made. But, it has to be sized properly.

I have had this same problem intermitently since I got our new Grand Canyon in March. I reset the inverter and it works, although I have mostly had it running on land power.
Those figures seem pretty straight forward, so why would HL set it up this way. Marginal at best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hunter11

All of our warranty issues have been reported to Heartland. Unfortunately we cannot get a mobile tech out until the first week of June so we won't know what it will take to fix the fridge issue until then.

Seren

We definitely have the filters in all the return vents...have cleaned them many times. You definitely have an issue...we use the main unit by itself most of time and it will freeze us out of the living room.

So each return vent is suppose to have a filter? How often should they be cleaned? Does the vent just pop out with clips, or are they screw in? Strange that a S&B AC or heat pump says that the filter should be cleaned every month, but I haven't found any info in the Heartland manual even mentioning filters let alone how often they should be cleaned (I would assume every month or so when in use).
And is the bedroom AC suppose to be connected to the front vents and vice versa?

kseagle

Hi all. We just picked up our 2015 Key Largo on May 2nd and have experienced the same problem with the refrigerator running on the inverter. Could I get a PM with the contact at Heartland for our dealer so he can get a larger inverter coming under warranty? We have a number of small warranty issues so we'll be taking the unit in for service sometime this summer. We've also noticed one of the a/c output vents in the bedroom is not putting out any air, more blockage problems?

Hunter11

And is the bedroom AC suppose to be connected to the front vents and vice versa?

Seren, I was under the impression they are suppose to be but in our unit if the main AC is on and the one in the bedroom is off we get no air flow from the bedroom vents and vice versa.

Could I get a PM with the contact at Heartland for our dealer so he can get a larger inverter coming under warranty?

David, I was told by the person I talked to at Heartland yesterday that they are not going to send out larger inverters for this issue. We will not get ours looked at until the first week of June so we will see what happens. It would appear the AC air flow issue and residential fridge not working with the inverter are a couple of issues are appearing on the 2015 models. This makes me wonder what has changed over previous years.

kseagle

Just an FYI, our dealer talked to Heartland and they reiterated that they would not send out larger inverters--at least until our dealer has run an number of other checks on the unit (wiring, voltage, etc) as they claim most problems in this area have been caused by faulty/loose wiring, not an inadequate inverter. We'll be taking the unit in for several warranty items in June so will know more then.

I agree that it appears these two issues are common to several units off the assembly line in Mid-March (our build date). I wonder if there are any more?

travlingman

Seren, I was under the impression they are suppose to be but in our unit if the main AC is on and the one in the bedroom is off we get no air flow from the bedroom vents and vice versa.

David, I was told by the person I talked to at Heartland yesterday that they are not going to send out larger inverters for this issue. We will not get ours looked at until the first week of June so we will see what happens. It would appear the AC air flow issue and residential fridge not working with the inverter are a couple of issues are appearing on the 2015 models. This makes me wonder what has changed over previous years.

Have a 2014 and tried it just using inverter and batteries not hooked to shore yesterday. Fridge was at outside temp, about 60. I started it up and let it run for close to 1 hour, no problems.

Seren

Tried it yesterday, same as you. No flow to opposite side of RV when either AC came on even after I blocked the outflow vents. I did partially block the vent in the bathroom (opps, shower room), so I get more outflow in the living area. Also, my intake vents have filters, so that is not a problem.

Hunter11

Seren, I think I might have fixed our low air flow issue myself yesterday. I pulled the last vent in the kitchen area (last vent before it goes to the bathroom vent) and made an dam out of aluminum and installed in the duct. I made it a little larger in size as the duct (I believe it was 9" X 2 1/2") and taped in place with aluminum AC/heating tape. Before I installed it I cut 1" off of one side which would allow enough air to get past to cool the bathroom. So far it works much better than it did when we got back home with the trailer.

I would also like to add that I just got off the phone with Heartland about our bedroom slide seal issue and brought up the residential fridge inverter issue since I spoke to someone different this time and he told me they are having issues with them on the new models. So all of us having the issues need to hang in there and stay on them for a fix.

Seren

Seren, I think I might have fixed our low air flow issue myself yesterday. I pulled the last vent in the kitchen area (last vent before it goes to the bathroom vent) and made an dam out of aluminum and installed in the duct. I made it a little larger in size as the duct (I believe it was 9" X 2 1/2") and taped in place with aluminum AC/heating tape. Before I installed it I cut 1" off of one side which would allow enough air to get past to cool the bathroom. So far it works much better than it did when we got back home with the trailer.

Thanks, sounds like a good idea, will try it in our RV.

MrRvGypsy

Our Savannah was built as a 2014 the first week of February and we have made 3 multiple day trips so far in it and our residential fridge inverter system has worked flawlessly. So it would seem HL must have made some small change that has had unexpected negative consequences. Hopefully you guys with the 2015's get it straightened out as soon as possible.

Last edited: