Crack in AC housing, is this a problem?

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Sorry I do not have any pics right now but I have a crack on the top portion of my AC shroud. Looks like a branch or something fell on it pretty hard. What will happen if I don't fix it? Will water eventually get into the trailer?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Mark, maybe you will get water intrusion....but probably not. It could however, come apart while driving. I would suggest replace it ASAP.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We had a branch punch a golf ball sized hole in the front of our AC shroud. Drove 350 miles before we noticed and could duct tape over it. Took another 7 months before we ordered a replacement shroud. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Mark, I don't know that water getting in will hurt anything but if it's doable, eternabond would be a good alternative to a new shroud.

danemayer

We had a branch punch a golf ball sized hole in the front of our AC shroud.
I've hit some golf balls into the trees, but this is the first time I've heard of them hitting them back.:rolleyes:

mobilcastle

There is a great product called Lexel-you will find it on Amazon.dries clear but extremely flexible-I used it on a cracked skylight one time and never replaced it !!! I would seal it with that and forget it. If hairline crack drill it to stop the cracking first.apply about an inch out on both sides of the crack-liberally. Good luck

TravelTiger

I've hit some golf balls into the trees, but this is the first time I've heard of them hitting them back.:rolleyes:

holeinAC.jpg

OK, maybe it was bigger than a golf ball. I had to go back and find the pic. This was taken at our first rest stop, I cropped to show the hole. We didn't see it until we got 2/3 of the way to our destination. So we determined it was probably a low-hanging branch in our home town that did it. We remembered hearing a thump. (BTW, we don't go that way through town any more.)

Erika

porthole

Retired
Mark, I lost a cover coming back from Goshen in 2011.

No idea why, but I assume a branch hit the cover in one of the campgrounds we stayed at on the way back.
The cover is kind of thin. If it is cracked and and wind can get under it, you will lose a good portion of it.

Got mine online, camping world, delivered for 106.99 (2011)

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Thank you all for the help and ideas. For now I am leaning towards the Gorilla tape too. I have that already. Maybe if I do it right it will ook like it belongs on there. Pics to follow.

Thanks again and hope you all have safe travels,
Mark

TravelTiger

We used white duct tape. Good luck, I think it'll work fine until you get it replaced.