Crack in Body and Interior above Master Bed Slde

We have a 2014 Gateway 3650 BH - and we took it out this weekend and noticed a crack on the outside, and all the way to the inside on the master bedroom main wall above the slide for the bed. Anyone else have this happen?

You will need to make another post or two for the system to let you post a picture.

So replies won't do, correct? Heartland said I have to take it to a dealer to see if it is frame issue or something else. So I will get that appointment. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue with their 5th wheel, no matter if Gateway or not.

jimtoo

You should be able to post pictures now. Just click on the pic logo at top of reply window and you can upload.

I do not know of any post describing your problem lately.

Jim M

You should be able to post pictures now. Just click on the pic logo at top of reply window and you can upload.

I do not know of any post describing your problem lately.

Jim M

Here is a picture of inside and outside

20170409_105218.jpg20170409_105123.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Pictures:

Inside: 20170409_105218.jpg

Outside: 20170409_105123.jpg

Garypowell

At a minimum you have some cracked wall studs/members. They will need to determine the cause and see if it originates with a frame problem.

Not it sure if you are the original owner or not but it seems you are out of warranty. HL might still fix the frame and sidewall if you take it back to the factory.

Bones

Definitely not good. When you are hooked up what does the crack look like? Take a look in your propane compartment and you can see some bracing and welding on the frame from this area. Also look from your front storage compartment up towards the frame and you can see main framing members and the upright frame sections that weld to the top of the I beam.

Update is the RV Repair thinks its a cracked weld, but has not torn into it to verify. Heartland said that since it is one year out of warranty, tough luck unless we want to drive it to IN and then they would repair it for free. 1800 miles from AZ, so the expense of that, the expense of finding a place to stay or fly home and back depending on how long they keep it, which I am sure it would not be a priority, and then the expense of driving back. This insures that they do not have to fix it. I could see if the unit was 4+ years old, but just literally 1 year out of warranty, purchased on 3/16/15. Not sure we will buy a Heartland RV again.

We are now going to the Extended warranty as it covers frame and welds. If they will pay for some of it the repair, we may have to pay for the interior crack ourselves.

danemayer

depending on how long they keep it, which I am sure it would not be a priority

Actually, unlike dealers, the Heartland Service Center will set up a schedule and will start work on that date. The work will proceed without delay until completed. Best I recall, people who have taken their rigs in for frame flex repairs (which are probably more extensive than a broken weld on the side), usually report that the repair takes 4-5 days.

The evening of your arrival, and the evening after you get the rig back, you'll be able to stay in a full-hookup site behind the Service Center. So you may only have a couple of days in a hotel.

The travel expense is nothing to sneeze at, but you should also consider that your best shot at getting it fixed correctly the first time is at the Heartland Service Center.

rhodies1

Actually, unlike dealers, the Heartland Service Center will set up a schedule and will start work on that date. The work will proceed without delay until completed. Best I recall, people who have taken their rigs in for frame flex repairs (which are probably more extensive than a broken weld on the side), usually report that the repair takes 4-5 days.

The evening of your arrival, and the evening after you get the rig back, you'll be able to stay in a full-hookup site behind the Service Center. So you may only have a couple of days in a hotel.

The travel expense is nothing to sneeze at, but you should also consider that your best shot at getting it fixed correctly the first time is at the Heartland Service Center.

I agree with you ,if this was my unit then it would definitely go to Heartland Service Center,they have the tools and knowledge to fix it correctly. l have a friend you went to the center from Nova Scotia and he said it was definitely the right choice.

Mrsfish

We have friends who went to the service center this past fall for frame flex and were amazed at not only the job well done, but the extra things that were done without them asking. They gave it an a+.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Been there, done that from Texas. 1035 miles one way. Was definitely worth it, they took good care of us. We had many little things taken care of, including a damaged roller on the bedroom slide we didn't even know about. We "booked" our repair in October, for March, during my husband's spring break. We were dropping it off first thing Monday and picked it up Friday morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garypowell

If your extended warranty covers this work ask them to pay for the trip rather than more money for the repair. Or ask them what cash value they would give you.....

As previously stated I have benefitted from the factory fixing my frame and several other "fixes" as others have stated and highly recommend that route as they will probably fix the inside as well as the outside.

BusManRG

Hopefully the answer to this question will never be needed but...since Heartland has opened a plant in, I believe, Nampa Idaho, could all makes of Heartland be taken care of there or as a Big Horn owner would we have to go to Indiana?

Sandy

danemayer

Hopefully the answer to this question will never be needed but...since Heartland has opened a plant in, I believe, Nampa Idaho, could all makes of Heartland be taken care of there or as a Big Horn owner would we have to go to Indiana?

Sandy
Sandy,

I think the Idaho manufacturing facility builds travel trailers, but not 5th wheels. So they may not have the same expertise. Also, I haven't heard anything about Heartland opening a Service Center in Idaho. So at the moment I wouldn't expect them to take on service work.

coram8

I had a crack form on the bottom corner of the bedroom slide on our 2015 Gateway last year. Heartland told me the same thing, we will fix it, but only at the manufacturing facility in Indiana. After finding out our extended warranty wouldn't cover it, I decided to take it to Heartland. We live in West Texas so it is a hike to northern Indiana.
I drove up on a Saturday and Sunday. Stayed at the repair facility Sunday night. My appointment was for 6am Monday. At 5:50am my trailer was being moved into the work bay. By the time I left at 10:30 to catch a flight from Chicago back home, they were going to town getting it fixed.
I flew back on Thursday, toured the factory Thursday evening, trailer was ready to go Friday morning for the drive home.
They welded supports both on the aluminum sub-frame and the main steel frame on both sides of the trailer, took a sample of the part they had to cut out and had an exact match paint made, and even went through the rest of the trailer looking for anything wrong. (My steps to the bedroom no longer squeak like they did.) Darrell and all the employees I came into contact with were all very nice to deal with.
I will say I was not fond of the idea of going that far to have a repair on our Gateway done. Once it was all complete though, I would easily make the decision to do it again if need be.

ray587

Took my 2012 Roadwarrior up to the service center last June for frame flex repair. As previously posted, very go people working there. Fixed my frame flex and some other things I didn't even ask them to. Well worth the 900 mile trip.