Cracked Frame

SilverRhino

Yea, it would be nice if Heartland stepped up and fixed there problem. But, they flat out said that it is not there frame so it is not there problem and that I would have to call Lippert to get it fixed. I have not said a thing for the last four months that I have been dealing with this problem. Now, since everybody is turning there back on this problem I am now letting everyone know that they need to check there frames since it was built wrong and there is a problem here that needs to be checked.

Sorry if I missed it, but........what has Lippert's response been?? It seems to me that HL should be assisting you in dealing with Lippert. Granted it is not a HL frame.....but they choose to use Lippert products.

If in fact the frame can be plated and strengthened......seems reasonable for Lippert to pick up the tab.

Just my opinion for what that's worth!

Travel Safe!

Driver

Sorry if I missed it, but........what has Lippert's response been?? It seems to me that HL should be assisting you in dealing with Lippert. Granted it is not a HL frame.....but they choose to use Lippert products.

If in fact the frame can be plated and strengthened......seems reasonable for Lippert to pick up the tab.

Just my opinion for what that's worth!

Travel Safe!

Lippert, they said out of warranty (Trailer was manufactured in 06) They have a two year warranty and will not cover it. On a side note they did say they would pay for half. Using there tech to come fix the trailer and my half was $1000.00. This is to fix there frame that has only been used maybe 10 times. Do the math new frame used 10 times then, you find a checked frame , not very good numbers.
Alos, I have never overloaded this trailer. Trailer rated for 18,000 pounds. I one time at the most had 16,435 pounds total weight

Rmcgrath53

I think if it was me and my half would be 1000.00. I would call up a mobile welder and get a price from him to come out and give an estimate. It still would be out of warranty if Libert came out anyway.It would probably cost less then the 1000.
If you know how to weld you could rent a portable welder and do the job yourself. and really save some money.
Ron

Rickhansen

I noticed in the pictures that the tread pattern on your tires is vastly different than the tires that came from the factory on my rig. Nor do they resemble any common trailer tire that I've seen. I can't help but wonder if a difference in tire tread or sidewall flexibility may have added to the lateral stresses on the that area of the frame when you are turning or backing. I wouldn't suggest that that is the whole issue, but the pictures leave me wondering....

Driver

I noticed in the pictures that the tread pattern on your tires is vastly different than the tires that came from the factory on my rig. Nor do they resemble any common trailer tire that I've seen. I can't help but wonder if a difference in tire tread or sidewall flexibility may have added to the lateral stresses on the that area of the frame when you are turning or backing. I wouldn't suggest that that is the whole issue, but the pictures leave me wondering....

Yes, the tread is different. The tires that came with the trailer were "D" rated max 65psi and I replace them with "E" rated tire 80 psi and high load rating. And yes, they are a trailer tire not any thing else you may think they are. So, no the tires have not a thing to do with what is going on.

Northern Virginia
Yes, I have a good idea. The hangers on the trailer has adjustable holes, I put mine in the last hole to raise the trailer up for my truck. Now what happens is you lengthen the pivot point plus with the tall frame that is thin causing the frame to flix. Also, add the wieght of the trailer. They also have real short guesits that does no good when you do this.

How high do you think it raised it? 2 inches?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
If you purchased a car used it 10-15 times and then were deployed overseas for 3 years, came back and you warranty is expired would you expect the car manufacturer to pay for an out of warranty repair? I think not. Be reasonable and meet them halfway. IMHO

Driver

If you purchased a car used it 10-15 times and then were deployed overseas for 3 years, came back and you warranty is expired would you expect the car manufacturer to pay for an out of warranty repair? I think not. Be reasonable and meet them halfway. IMHO

Mite be true if I owned it about four years from what you are saying but, I bought this trailer and a one and 1/2 years later this happens. Lippert has a two year warranty on the frame and there using date of manufacture. So, trailer is built sits on Heartlands lot for X amont of months then, goes to California sits on dealers lot X amount of months then, I buy the trailer. By this time there so called date of manufacture is about done. Of course you are not told this. As with all warrantys it is from date of purchase. If you read my post you will see this happened a year and half after I bought the trailer not, 3 plus years you are saying. So, I think so. DA

RoadJunkie

The warranty information you have provided is interesting. It implies that Lippert considers Heartland as the party of purchase and not the end user. I have certainly understood that all second-sourced appliances and equipment on my BH were warrantied from the date of my purchase and not from the date HL purchased them. Hummmm.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
So the meter's running on the warranty even if the frame sits at HL for however long until it's mated with a trailer? And it's also ticking if the rig sits on a dealer's lot until it's sold? With that logic, you could buy a "new" rig and already have an expired warranty. Something seriously wrong with that. I don't know of anything that you buy with a warranty that can pull that stunt. Maybe Lippert's CEO needs to take a seat next to BP's at the Congressional Pillory Block. There's plenty of tar and oily feathers to go around. Use their frames for the rails.

wdk450

Gang:
Just pulling it out of my head from previous postings on the forum, I believe that the Lippert warranty policy of starting from date of frame manufacture changed a year or so ago to a current policy of warranty starting from date of sale. As I recall, they set a firm date for the changeover of this policy. Best bet is to confer with Heartland Service.

Tankie

Is there a support welded on the inside of the frame?
It makes no sense that it would crack like that unless it was welded in that area. I understand the crack on the plate welded to the frame, it is most likely cracked in the heat affected zone.
Have you had it fixed yet? You can't just weld it because it will crack again.
If there is no weld in that area then it is likely a mill flaw.

Driver

Yes, I had to fix this my self, As no one would stand behind anything. This is a sad thing since there is a real problem here with the frame. Poorly made, no support and not thought out when designed. But hay, You buy the trailer and get bent over when a real problem comes up. Meaning the best fix for this is to replace the frame, you think they will step up and fix "THERE PROBLEM THEY MADE" looks like "NO". They were not pulling the trailer I was so that makes it my fault. You think I am a little upset, Yes I am. I hate seeing people getting bent over when there is a real safety problem here and they look the other way.

Driver

Is there a support welded on the inside of the frame?
It makes no sense that it would crack like that unless it was welded in that area. I understand the crack on the plate welded to the frame, it is most likely cracked in the heat affected zone.
Have you had it fixed yet? You can't just weld it because it will crack again.
If there is no weld in that area then it is likely a mill flaw.
There was no support welded on the inside. The crack was two inchs up from the bottom of the frame where the hangs are located above all of them on both sides. This happens when you make turns or go into corners while driving down roads. If all roads were a staight line this would never happen.
The flaw, like I said when you make a turn or curve in the road the axles hooked to the hanger then to the frame which flexes and puts to much stress on the frame. They made the frame too thin for how tall the fame is. Very POOR DESIGN.

Last edited:

Driver

Just curious how did u fix it?
I welded the cracks up then grided smooth. Then, cut the tiny supports they had over the handers off. Had a sheet of steel cut to fit inside the frame I beam from top to bottm. It was best to cut the sheet into 1 1/2' to 2' sections to get them in. Welded top, bottom, and sides of these sections in. Then, you measure your hanger width were it meets the frame and add 1" to each side. (This is the VERY important part now.) The height of these you measure your frame height and make them go up 3/4 of the frame height. Why so high, this is what is causing the frame to crack (plus, too thin of steel used). The factory way is way too short and puts the stress on the lower part of the frame and letting the frame flex which makes cracks in the frame. If you do not have any cracks I would at the very least cut out the tiny supports and add the taller ones in to keep your frame from flexing.

Driver

Oh, to add to these frame cracks, when I had my trailer at the place that found the cracks there was another trailer that came in that had cracks that were ten times worse then mine. He got his fixed as he was just under warrenty, how I don't know. So, there is a real problem out there and people are now getting bent over because, they are out of warrenty. Your loss there gain.