Cracked Frame

sdrubrecht

Been ckecking my frame closely since I first saw this thread. Found cracks in the welds at the rear gussets where the gusset meets the bottom web of the I beam. I'm thinking of just grinding them out and rewelding. Im not real sure if a lot of welding or larger gussets will do more harm than good. Don't want to ruin the temper of the I beam.
Any thoughts?
Be nice to know how Drivers fix has held up.

Attachments

• New clone stuff 008e.jpg
    New clone stuff 008e.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 195

ParkIt

This is why I've been looking at various ways to strengthen the frame before we hit the road. My MH was on a Spartan chassis and they are solid as a rock, I want to make sure this will hold up just the same. Thanks for the pictures and fixes.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Sdrubrecth, I am not a welder, but if it were my trailer I would grind the old weld off the flange and just re-weld it. I have seen the web crack in that area because of flange movement, so I would not wait too long to repair it. That was on a rig with a different brand suspension.
Yours does not look too bad.

Peace
Dave

CrazyCooter

I have yet to get under any Heartland products, but have repaired many other brands. This is a common fracture point as well as right at the x-member in the general vicinity of the spring hangers.

I have been tying the hangers together side to side with 2x2 .120 tube to complete the box. I'm no engineer, but I can see I-beam frames are terrible with lateral forces. The same forces that occur when cornering and flexing the tires, axles, springs, hangers, and then the frame itself.

The tube frames usually break right at the hanger weld.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Been ckecking my frame closely since I first saw this thread. Found cracks in the welds at the rear gussets where the gusset meets the bottom web of the I beam. I'm thinking of just grinding them out and rewelding. Im not real sure if a lot of welding or larger gussets will do more harm than good. Don't want to ruin the temper of the I beam.
Any thoughts?
Be nice to know how Drivers fix has held up.

I would contact Lippert if your frame is still in warranty. They have been very responsive to repairing frame issues.

CrazyCooter

I would contact Lippert if your frame is still in warranty. They have been very responsive to repairing frame issues.

I agree completely. If it's under warranty, have "Limp-ert" fix it. If not, find yourself a welder and strengthen it so it doesn't happen again.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Just need to make something clear. I agree that Lippert should stand behind their stuff better. HL owners can be mad all they want a HL and Lippert and call HL and Lippert names. They say I will never buy a HL again.

Well rest assured that the next SOB you buy will have a 75% chance of having a Lippert frame under it. Just some words for thought.

CrazyCooter

I have nothing against Lippert. If they built these things to take a serious beating, the coach would weigh 500+lbs more. Then people would complain about less cargo capacity and dry weights.

My current TT is on a Zieman frame and would have had the same failure had I not known how to prevent it. In fact whoever flame "Gouged" out the the huge holes in my x-members to install the propane piping, Komfort, took away a very important piece of steel in that area. The use of a hole saw would have been the correct way to do it, but the torch was faster I guess. Neither Zieman nor Komfort could tell me who's idea this was. I ended up fixing it myself after Komfort's sad failed attempt at scabbing on some angle iron with a stick welder and burning some more holes in the x-members. Ultimately just costing me more time to make it right......

I went to the dealer and had a look at all the Trailblazer products on the lot....they were all defective! Wonder how many got fixed after I brought it to their attention? Just mine I bet.....I even offered my shop to give them estimates to repair all of them in the area to save transport costs! lol!

Funny I told a HL rep last week that I would never buy another Thor owned product after dealing with Komfort on that issue. What are we about to do?:D

There are only so many choices in any industry to choose from. Need something for your computer at 1am.....Walmart it is! What other choice do you have? lol!

Assuming this new 5th has a similar potential issue on par with what I have seen in the industry, I'm undecided as to void the frame warranty and fix it before it fatigues or let it do it's thing and hope for the best. Then mod it after the warranty is up.

I understated that if you want an industrial strength RV, you gotta spend the big bucks! Double what HL has to offer. Then use a class 8 truck to pull it!:cool:

Tony

Last edited: