Cracked Skylight

bigbird272

The other half was having a shower today and noticed water dripping from a screw in the skylight. I took the inside cover off and found a crack in one corner of the skylight which is letting water in. I live in a wet climate especially at this time of year. I can only assume that it has been that way since shipping. I have had it a month after it sat at the dealership for almost a year . I will be taking it in to the dealer for replacement asap. My only concern is roof damage. From what I can tell it is ok. It is amazing to me what is hidden during manufacturing. I can see screws in the roof through cracks in the ceiling that are screwed into absolutely nothing. Of course who knows what else is hidden during production.

Rick

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
If you get a dry couple hours, clean it off and slap a piece of eternabond over it. Should hold you until you can get it in to the dealer.

bigbird272

Managed to caulk it yesterday aft. Seems fine for now. I am really surprised as to how much flex there is in the roof. Also very surprised to find out that it will take my dealership 4 weeks to get the replacement skylight shipped in. Seems a ridiculous amount of time. The skylight seems very flimsy.

Rick

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
Bigbird, I also encountered a cracked skylight over the shower, same indication you had when water would drip with rain. My skylight had 3 large (2 to 4 inches long) cracks radiating from the screw fastener inward. I took some pictures and posted them on the forum, and then called Heartland Customer Service. They reviewed the photos, and then OVERNIGHTED a replacement skylight to my home free of charge. I had agreed to replace it myself as I am 4+ hours from my dealer. When I replaced the skylight (easy job), I found at least 8 other cracks that were starting in addition to the big ones visible. It was obvious that the installer at the factory had over-torqued the screws so tight at installation that the stress cracked the plexiglass. I just guess he had too many wheaties for breakfast that morning. Tell your dealer to get moving, that you know the problem is with him, and not with Heartland.

bigbird272

Thanks for the info Flying Dutchman. You would think someone would have seen it during pdi. I was up on the roof a week before checking caulking and did not notice it. I was worried about rot damage to the roof. There are two large cracks. One on the side over the roof that is not penetrating, and the other crack that is leaking. I do hope that there is no rot caused by this. We full time so talk about an inconvenience if major repairs are needed. So far I have not been that impressed with the product offered by Heartland. Loose water fittings, a stripped fitting under sink caused by over tightening, and now the skylight.

Rick

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
Not sure that it was there during your PDI as it most probably developed while on the road with the bumps and shimmies. I also don't think you need to be concerned with damage or rot in the roof, your leak probably fell vertically onto your shower pan as mine did. When I replaced the skylight, I checked the exposed roof edging and there was no problem. As mentioned earlier, it was a quick and easy (with my level of experience yet) job. I can understand your frustrations, but in the whole context your issues are really minor. I would advise you to call and talk to Heartland customer service any time your issues are not properly or timely handled by your dealer. Heartland will support you. That's my experience.

bigbird272

Hi Eric,

I only drove it about 10 miles from the dealership to my residence. I think it may have happened when they washed the roof? Perhaps the young guy who did it was afraid to say anything? I had a good look and no I do not think any damage has been done. I now have all sorts of water leaks from the hoses in the basement. A drop here and there adds up. Waiting for the skylight to come in from factory and then I will get things all fixed at the same time.

Rick

bigbird272

I took the unit into the dealer yesterday. They replaced the skylight with a new one. I also had water leaks from behind the docking station. They pressure tested them and of course were unable to find any leaks. Of course when I got home and hooked up the hose it leaked again exactly at the point I told them where it was leaking. A tech is coming out tomorrow to attempt to fix the leaks. I was so mad that I sent an e-mail to Heartland and vented. Heartland called me and let me vent on the phone, they are great and fully understood my frustration. So one repair down and hopefully after tomorrows meeting with the tech the leaks will be fixed. Garry Randolph from Heartland is great to deal with. So far any parts I required have been sent right out. The water lines behind the docking station do seem to have issues with leaks however.

tmcran

I just noticed a crack in my out sky light. Water was leaking from a screw as well. I put some eternabond and seemed fix it. Strage ther would be a rsh of these.