"CURT" Fifth Wheel Hitches ?

Cjackg

I have been reading far and wide toward getting a high quality hitch for my 2015 Silverado at a reasonable price. I have read many discussions about the B&W, Reese, and other top brands, but I rarely see "CURT" mentioned here.

Now, I am finding that "CURT" may be rated higher than most hitches in several categories, ranging from Quality to Customer Service.

What I read and hear is: CURT rails are heavier than Reese and often used by Reese hitch owners instead, CURT outboard frame brackets are far stronger than most rail attachment brackets, cost of buying a CURT hitch is much less than most brands because they are widely stocked and the prices are very competitive, CURT offers a 10-yr warranty vs a 5-year for most brands, CURT base 5th wheel hitch can be upgraded to a sliding (Roller) hitch later if you decide you need one, and CURT Customer Service is superior to most...

After checking around it sure appears you can put together a complete CURT for much less $$ than most other major brands.

To check out their Customer Service, I called CURT's published Tel no, and did have to wait a couple of minutes, but, there were no idiot voice menus and the person that answered was helpful and able to discuss all my technical questions.

So, am I missing something? Sure would like to hear from those who have some experience with CURT hitches...

Thanks,
Jack

Last edited:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
What I can say about Curt is that I have had one for nearly 7 years.
I do my annual maintenance, cleaning, greasing a couple of zerks and a little spray lube.
I can't say anything about their customer service, as I have never needed them.
On edit, I should say that I have the Q-5 20K non slider.

Peace
Dave

pokypa

I have a Curt 20,000 lb hitch in my F350 dually. I find it very easy to hitch and unhitch. Customer service is very kind and helpful when you call. I have own Reese and Haynes and I like the Curt better and feel it is more secure towing.

MaryandSteve

Past Indiana Chapter Leader (Founding)
I also have a Curt 20,000 lb hitch. It has a slider. Have had no problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

alex00

I have a Curt Q24 because my old B&W Companion wouldn't work with the 5th wheel prep on my new Ram. I have been very happy with the Curt. I can't really say the Curt is better or worse than the Companion. They both hitch up easily, come out of the truck in multiple parts and appear very solid. Unhitching is much easier with the Curt over the B&W. With the B&W the trailer kingpin couldn't be too high or too low or the release handle wouldn't engage. With the Curt, the handle releases the jaws as soon as the feet are on the ground. Both were great hitches. The one time I called B&W I was really impressed. I messed up a part, and asked where to buy a new one. They sent me one free because of the lifetime warranty, despite me telling them it was my fault. I have not had any reason to call Curt, so I don't have a comparison. You won't go wrong with either.

Last edited:

Rob_Fla

We bought a Curt Q24 from Amazon a couple of months ago, replaced a 10 yea old 16K Husky hitch.

Amazon had the best price we could find and they had free shipping.

Went with the Q24 instead of the Q20 since the price difference was only about $20.

Towed about 2000 miles so far, love our new Curt Hitch, very solid and smooth towing.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Jack.... Check out www.chuxtrux.com
They used to have incredible prices. Q20 for $450 free ship and no tax. Their website leaves a little to be desired but you can call them direct (number is on website).

Speedy

Curt Q20 owner for three years and no issues. Love the way it works and ease of maintenance. The other big plus I the way the Blue Ox Bedsaver attaches taking as little bed space as possible.

Garypowell

I have had Reese and Curt. Both 20k versions and I would be hard pressed to tell the difference between them except Curt was about half the price.

Had no trouble with the Reese but after 4 years the Curt jaws loosened up for some reason. 2 - 3 pictures and a couple phone calls and they over nighted.....yes over nighted a whole new head assembly and then waited for me to pass through Atlanta to drop the bad head off. You can't beat service like that with a 10 year warranty.

Got mine in 2008 when I bought my first HL and my dealer said they were new to the market. My take on that as I have had one is they might have started out with ball hitches and then moved into 5th wheel kind....but that is just a guess.

GWRam

I have had the Q24 with the roller kit for a year now. First 5th wheel hitch. Easy to use Hitching and Unhitching. Towing is great. Solid and smooth. Had the roller kit installed also. Have not needed it yet, just wanted to have the option if the situation ever came up.
Hope that helps,
Dave

shurack24

Also have a Q20 here and have had no issues at all. Price point was good and reviews were positive when we purchased ours.

ncc1701e

This is the second F250 my Curt 20K has been installed in. I moved it from the first truck. The only issue I ever had was a lost rubber bushing. Called Curt and they sent a complete set of bushings and pins FREE. F250 Hitch.jpg

Cjackg

CURT Customer Service...

To get a few more technical questions answered before I order a hitch, I called CURT again today to get their recommendation on Slider vs Non, and on Q20 vs Q24...

Again, the person that answered was able to discuss and answer all my questions without delay. Pretty amazing customer service in these days!

wonka

Re: CURT Customer Service...

Q20 slider, was the same price so figured it was better to have and not need, than to need and not have. Have never used the slide feature as the pin cover hits my tailgate.
I really like the fact that I can leave the hitch in and still close my box cover, the handle stays reachable yet below box rail height.

Cjackg

I finally decided to go with a Curt Q24, non slider and bought it at a great price on the Internet and it was drop shipped from Curt in just a couple of days.
I really did not need the 24k but it was only a few $ more. Very nice looking gear!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

happykraut

To get a few more technical questions answered before I order a hitch, I called CURT again today to get their recommendation on Slider vs Non, and on Q20 vs Q24...
Again, the person that answered was able to discuss and answer all my questions without delay. Pretty amazing customer service in these days!
I would be interested knowing what the factory had to say. Thanks.

Cjackg

I would be interested knowing what the factory had to say. Thanks.
They said the Q24 has stronger side supports and for the small increase is good insurance. The Slider weighs about 100 lbs more than the non and the need depends on the TV and trailer fit and specs.

With my combination, I have not missed the slider at all so far and if I do get into a tight situation, a little backing & pulling forward will get me by it. When I see how those trailer tires try to roll off the rims on extreme backing it reconfirms that anything even near 88 degrees is best avoided!