Customizing

cherylbrv

My husband and I both need working office space. At first we thought a floorplan with a desk would work, but that's only for 1 of us (the laptops will be set up full time and I don't want the place to look cluttered, so working at the kitchen table is not an option). My thoughts were perhaps buying a unit with a 2nd bedroom -- usually set up as bunks -- and having the bunks replaced by desks.

Is this something that's at all doable in the Landmark/Big Horn/Big Country models, and if so, is it something I would request from the dealer or ordered from the manufacturer?

Thanks,

Garypowell

Cheryl,

linda and I are Independent sales reps and when we travel (our 10 states) we need a full time office. We have had the second bedroom idea but could never make it work because those kinds of units where more family oriented and did not seem to have the features we wanted. So we always modify a full time type unit. I am sure I'll take some heat from those with second bedroom units but.....

For example our current unit is a 2013 Bighorn 3010RE. We removed one recliner and then installed a drop leaf table in the rear corner of the slide. With one recliner gone there is plenty of room to move around.

This table is where Linda works. I either take the dinning table or use a lap board she uses in the truck and sit on the couch.

we put the wireless printer beside the TV.

unfortunately she works a lot more than I do so I try and give her the more conventional way to work.

Over the last 10 days I have installed a dishwasher in the unit......so you can make this unit very comfy.

As to asking for special things we did this in our first unit in 1996 but I am not sure how it works now.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Cheryl,

You could always look at a toy hauler and opt out the bunks and add two desks. I will actually be building a folding desk that when closed will sit only 7 inches out from the wall in my 3010 garage. It will have a fold down work surface and will hold two 22 in LDC monitors. This has been in the planning phase for two summers now - I just never seem to find the time to get it done in the winter/spring. I'm hoping that this year will be the year for this mod now that I got all the plumbing done last spring.

The Advantage of going with the Toy Hauler is with the new three season doors and the Patio option your office will have a rocking view too ...

Good luck with your hunt.

pegmikef

Cheryl, I ran into a couple of fulltimer ladies who were camping at a COE park in Texas and had a Cyclone. They told me that they had converted the garage into a workshop and were actually running some kind of business out of it. They told me what the business was, but I just don't remember. They said it was perfect and it separated their workspace from the living area. I didn't notice the size of the rig, but they were towing with a Ram 3500.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Kevin's idea sounds like a winner. Or, you could use small folding tables, like I'm using in my den (until I build a credenza) for my computer and printer, etc. There are two of them, each 24x48. Recently pulled the ratty carpet out and put down hardwood floor.

Our 3670 has the original desk in the entertainment slide, but they've turned it into a cubby hole by moving the TV down and putting cabinets above it. I use the desk and the wife either uses the dining table or an oversized TV tray table I made for her laptop. We also use a wireless printer in the rig. We don't work or full-time, but do use our laptops. Occasionally, there is a heated discussion over squatter's rights on the desk.

View attachment 22700View attachment 22701

rick_debbie_gallant

We have taken out the couch and swivel chairs and installed Two electric leather theater seating unit's. we will be removing the table and putting in a convertible table. Where the table used to be is now a chest freezer and a 36" kitchen base unit an a 60" counter top that goes covers the base unit and goes over the top of the freezer. My wife makes lots of quilts and knits so the extra storage is for her material. In the rear is a sewing cabinet. It all works for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TXTiger

I have a Cyclone with garage that has two drop down beds. One bed doubles as dinette when the table is set up in the garage. This set up could very easily be used as an office without any modifications. When you don't need the office you can still use the beds, dinette or use the garage as a garage. Also as mentioned, with the patio option you will have plenty of fresh air and a great view or heat/ac when needed.

jimtoo

I was at the San Antonio RV Super sale and show the last few days and there was a Silverado on display that has a completely seperate rear bedroom that could be converted very easy I think. This is link to page on Heartland RV's site with floor plan.

Also the Cyclone TwoToes recommends would work good. With the glass sliding door in the rear you could have a nice view with the ramp down or just leave it up. The beds on each side are electric operated, so you could remove mattress and make desk any height you would want it and even leave everything on the desk and raise it up out of the way.

Jim M

jayc

Legendary Member
We are full timers. My wife does accounting services and uses the dining table to do her work, as well as holding our wireless multi-purpose printer that I can access from my recliner where I use my laptop computer. This works for us but might not for others. We have some friends that replaced their dining table and chairs with a roll top desk that held all of their office equipment. That might be something to consider.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Jim's suggestion reminds me of the Campers that I met several years ago in a S.O.B toy hauler (some other brand ) and they also had the same type of beds we have - except he had replaced the lower bed with a solid platform that contained his wife's Quilting setup - Not being a Quilter I had no idea what that setup was worth - but I have since met several others who either do quilting or the SO does. It was a very expensive setup from Germany. She Quilted and when the platform was up there was still room for the Golf Cart. She did her self a good mail order business I guess all from the road. I believe they were FT at that point. The point is the Garage is a clean slate and can be a multi purpose room.

Cheryl,

Good luck in determining what rig to get and how to maximize the function through customizations.

Kevin

Last edited: