Cyclone 3010 Electrical Feed Issue

SMEE

Hi. I have a 2010 Cyclone 3010 that is giving me trouble when I try to pug it into a 50amp 220vac recepticle. I have used it at various campsites as 50 amp and with the use of different adapters as 30 or at home with cheater cords plugged into a 110 outlet.
I decided to use a proper 50amp service at home and wired one up. Its a 4wire 50 amp with 220 across the two hot legs. It is not tied to the same feed leg as some seem to feel is RV correct. It is a properly installed 220v 50amp 4pin recepticle that matches the service plug from the trailer.

Trailer works fine with a cheater cord that ties both sides of the ac feed in the trailer to the same feed leg but will trip the 60amp feed breaker when used with trailer 50 amp cord. I found the schematic for the power converter [Progressive Dynamics PD5500 panel] and its showing two separate legs capable of using 220 feed. I haven't found and checked the transfer switch yet but suspect it ties both sides together although I don't know why.

Any suggestions? Thanks Pat

DocFather

How long does it take to trip the 60 amp breaker? Do you have the 50 amp receptacle protected with a 50 amp breaker as well?

It should be a simple connection at the receptacle.

branson4020

Icantre Member
Do I understand this correctly? You plug into 50A service at an RV park and everything works fine. You plug into the 50A service you installed at home and the 50A breaker on that receptacle trips?

danemayer

The transfer switch has L1, L2, neutral and ground coming in from the pedestal. Output goes to the circuit breaker panel. The breaker panel has some breakers tied to L1 and others tied to L2. L1 and L2 are not tied together at either the transfer switch or the circuit breaker panel.

The trailer wiring can pull 50 amps on L1 and another 50 amps on L2. Total 100 amps/12,000 watts.

I'm wondering how your 60 amp feed breaker is set up.

SMEE

The breaker trips as soon as the cord is plugged in. I measured the cord and it is ok either side to grd or neutral however at the trailer entrance there is a short from one side to neutral. I'll have to open both breakers at the power panel to see which way the short is and determine if the transfer switch is at fault or if there is something on one leg that is very high resistance. Its starting to snow now so may end the hunt for a bit. Whatever the issue it must be on the leg that is not being fed with the cheater cord as it works on 110v.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If everything is working correctly up too the point of plugging it into your new receptacle, that's where I would be looking.
And why do you have a 60 amp breaker protecting wires rated for 50 amp?

Peace
Dave

Sent from my awesome Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk