Cyclone 3950 Residential Refrigerator

HornedToad

I like the idea of an extra fridge in the garage of the Cyclone 3950. I'm going to assume from the photos it is a 110V Residential Refrigerator. I've read some other post on the topic that these are run by an inverter when you are off the grid and you can get about 14 hours out of two batteries.

My questions...
Is the inverter stock on the 3950?
Is it wired to the house or direct to the appliance?
(in other words can you also watch television off the inverter)
If it's wired to the house does it run thru the Automatic Transfer Switch?
(can go from shore power, to generator, to inverter without flippin' breakers and switches)
When your on the road does it run off the tow vehicle?
(so the battery life does not matter)

HornedToad

Does this post about a retrofit of a residential fridge answer my questions???

"Originally Posted by jbeletti //heartlandowners.org/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png John,

Yes, 110 VAC only. Note that on the factory Residential Refer option, a second battery and dedicated inverter and transfer switch is included. So on travel days, the refer stays powered. Not good for boondocking but great for travel days
."

Factory = Stock
Dedicated = wired direct to the appliance
Stays powered on travel days??? Does the tow vehicle recharge the second battery while driving???

scottyb

I run a wine fridge full time off of an inverter. I have a dedicated recepticle fed by the inverter. I have yet to let it run w/o charging for any length of time to see how long it will go on my two 6V GC-2's.

danemayer

I like the idea of an extra fridge in the garage of the Cyclone 3950. I'm going to assume from the photos it is a 110V Residential Refrigerator.
Mike, I'm not sure why you'd assume an extra refrigerator in the garage is a 110V Residential unit. Heartland only recently started making a Residential frig option available; first on the Landmark, and it's now finding it's way into other models. I might have missed it, but I don't think I've heard yet that it's offered in the Cyclone kitchen, much less in the garage. The unit being used on other models is a 22 cu ft frig which I'm guessing would be a pretty big choice for an extra fridge in the garage.

I'd suggest you call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030 to find out if what you're assuming is actually being offered.

HornedToad

There is no mention on the heartland website about the garage fridge as an option. In the photos on the the dealer websites every new unit I've seen has an extra fridge in the garage... that looks like the fridge in my garage at home.
Maybe it's a dealer option, I'll give them a call to check.
garagefridge.JPGgarage fridge.jpg

AJJONES

Senior GM for Cyclone, Torque, Gateway & Sundance
The 3950 comes with a residential 11 cu ft. referigerator in the garage area standard. This fridge does not have an inverter nor a second battery set up for it. However we are starting to look at possibly adding an option for the same 23 cuft refer that Big Horn / Big Country / Landmark uses with the inverter and 2nd battery.

HornedToad

Thanks for the reply.

OK...
So to tide you over on the road
you would rig an aftermarket inverter
with a second battery dedicated to the fridge,
(like scottyb)
and recharge the battery while on shore power/generator.

I still like the idea of an extra fridge in the garage...
if you just use it for your drinks, it doesn't matter if it goes out,
and you can forget about hauling coolers and buying ice!!!

scottyb

The batteries are being charged by the TV as you drive as well. My truck has dual alternators, but I have not found how many amps it sends through the plug while driving. My inverter runs off the house batteries. No dedicated battery. I carry a booster battery pack in case I need to jump start the generator, or other toys.