Cyclone 4200 Inverter

bsackettkc

Well I finally worked all the little bugs out of my 2013 BigHorn and was bored so I traded it in and got a 2016 Cyclone 4200. ;)

Picked it up from Camping World in Rossford, OH. Getting ready for the shake down trip to the FL Keys here in a few weeks. Having a problem with the residential fridge though. Works fine off of the generator and shore power. Not so much off of the inverter. The inverter is a Nature Power 1000W. It has the microwave and fridge plugged into it. The microwave will come on but not the fridge. I have tested both outlets and they are both supplying power. I have opened the junction box and the wires are all connected. Problem seems to be with the transfer switch but it's not in the compartment. Does anyone know the location of it? Or have any idea as to what else might be causing the problem? Thanks in advance.

Picture of us making it home with the new project.

Brad

Attachments

• 11713796_10205458057623963_5438260815729190146_o.jpg
    11713796_10205458057623963_5438260815729190146_o.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 62

danemayer

Hi bsackettkc,

Is this a factory setup? First time I've heard of the microwave being powered from the Residential Refrigerator's inverter and transfer switch.

bsackettkc

Yes, bought it off the lot. Nothing custom. The lights came on the microwave, didn't try actually using it though.

danemayer

On all the Residential Refrigerator rigs I've seen, which includes Landmark, Bighorn, and Big Country, the key electrical components are in the front storage area. Here's a picture from a Landmark. The 12V goes into the top of the inverter and the transfer switch is plugged into the bottom. The 110V wiring goes into a junction box where it then continues to an outlet behind the refrigerator.

If your microwave is wired into the inverter output, it would get it's power after the transfer switch so it could run on both shore power/generator and from the batteries. So if the microwave is getting power from the inverter and transfer switch, I would think the refrigerator would also get power.

Since the refrigerator is getting power through the transfer switch when on shore power, and the microwave is getting power through the transfer switch when on batteries, it would seem like the transfer switch is operating. But perhaps only partially.

I would check the voltage at the junction box to see if the refrigerator wiring is powered there when on batteries.

Attachments

• 2014-04-09 11.51.39-4.jpg
    2014-04-09 11.51.39-4.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 89

bsackettkc

Thanks, i'll go check and see if that pig tail they have wired in is indeed supplying power to that leg. Here's how mine is setup. Right from the inverter to the junction box, then in a wire loom down and into the bottom of the camper. No transfer switch that I can see.

Attachments

• 20150717_072353.jpg
    20150717_072353.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 193

bsackettkc

Well problem fixed. Checked for power at the junction box and had good voltage, decided to check the breaker box.............15amp was tripped. Now I'm just more confused though, how was I getting power while on generator and where is the transfer switch located???

danemayer

You might need to call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. Ask them where the residential refrigerator's transfer switch is located. Make sure they understand you aren't asking about the main transfer switch that handles shore power and generator power.

danemayer

Well problem fixed. Checked for power at the junction box and had good voltage, decided to check the breaker box.............15amp was tripped. Now I'm just more confused though, how was I getting power while on generator and where is the transfer switch located???

The attached diagram from the Residential Refrigerator Guide shows how the Landmark is wired. Shore power/generator power goes through the circuit breaker in the main panel, and into the transfer switch. So if your breaker was tripped in the main circuit breaker panel, that would have blocked shore power/generator power.

Attachments

• Residential Refrig Wiring v1 Landscape.pdf
    65.8 KB · Views: 42

bsackettkc

I must of got a good one. So to test this........I started the generator (inverter off).....no power to fridge. Turned on inverter.....pop......gfci tripped. No power to fridge. Turned off generator.....reset gfci...........fridge is on. Shouldn't I be able to run the inverter and just leave it on while hooked up to shore power or while on generator? Have a call in with Heartland and am waiting a response.

bsackettkc

While waiting on Heartland to get back with me found out some more interesting things. While on battery and inverter on.......I have power to my microwave, refrigerator, bedroom tv, and the garage tv. Isn't that a bit much for a 1000w inverter?

danemayer

While waiting on Heartland to get back with me found out some more interesting things. While on battery and inverter on.......I have power to my microwave, refrigerator, bedroom tv, and the garage tv. Isn't that a bit much for a 1000w inverter?

Sounds like you're plugged into shore power

bsackettkc

Well what fun would a new rig be if everything worked? Was able to pull the "microwave" pigtail from the inverter. That had the microwave and both tv's on it......after I did that. All works as I would expect on inverter then on generator and then back on inverter.

danemayer

Well what fun would a new rig be if everything worked? Was able to pull the "microwave" pigtail from the inverter. That had the microwave and both tv's on it......after I did that. All works as I would expect on inverter then on generator and then back on inverter.

Do the microwave and TVs still work on generator power?

Hopefully Heartland will be able to shed some light on this. If not, you might want to call your dealer and see if they had anything to do with this configuration.

bsackettkc

Yes, all works on the generator.

Waiting to hear from AJ Jones....have an email in with him. Bought from Camping World, supposedly no changes were made by them.

We have owned the rig for less than a week.
BUT the Wife really wants things fixed so I can enjoy/relax when we travel to the Florida Keys! :-D

porthole

Retired
Why would a micro be on the same circuit as the fridge? Maybe RV's should follow some of the residential codes.
Why are the micro or fridge on a GFI?
Have the micros been reduced in size (AKA cost) that they operate at only 800-900 watts?

Nature Power, another"upgrade" over Magnum?
Not surprisingly, the specs do no not list the efficiency or offer a input voltage/temperature/load/output chart.