Cyclone A/C Question.

Tbarnes

I have a Cyclone 4200 HD that has 3 air conditioners. I was told I could only use two at a time is this true? I would love to be able to use all 3 as it gets hot in the room you are not running it>

OEFVET

You can't use all three because it exceeds 50 amps. Even if you ran an additional circuit you would blow fuses when running all three.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Re: Question?

It is my understanding the new coaches with 3 air conditioners have a power management system that will shut down one AC if you are drawing too many amps. It does this automatically.

OEFVET

Not on the toy haulers. I just toured the Heartland factory that builds toy haulers. They are not yet using the power management system found on landmark 365s.

avvidclif

AFAIK only the Landmark comes with a power management system. The Cyclone's have a manual system. IE: the switch that lets you select which 2 A/Cs you want to run. By rewiring the setup you can run all 3 if connected to 50A. If connected to 30A you have to manage it yourself and limit the number of ACs running. The mod to change it over has been discussed here several times. Basically, as wired, all 3 ACs are on the same 50A leg and that's too much therefore a limit. By moving 1 AC to the other 50A leg all three can be run.

OEFVET

50 amps is just not enough to run 3 AC units. Even if you rewire and run a unit on the separate leg. The ACs draw from 20-30amps when turning on and 15-20 while cooling. The first time any additional amps are required for anything the circuit will blow. Most Cyclone owners are rewiring the switch to configure it so they can run the two ACs they prefer to run such as the garage and bedroom, or living room and garage, or living room and bedroom.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

50 amps is just not enough to run 3 AC units. Even if you rewire and run a unit on the separate leg. The ACs draw from 20-30amps when turning on and 15-20 while cooling. The first time any additional amps are required for anything the circuit will blow. Most Cyclone owners are rewiring the switch to configure it so they can run the two ACs they prefer to run such as the garage and bedroom, or living room and garage, or living room and bedroom.

What would be nice if there were a toggle switch to select which one(s) you desire to run.

OEFVET

The toggle switch mod is exactly what I have done. This way I can choose which two ACs to run. Many other Cyclone owners have done the same.

dewwood

I believe you can run all three like an earlier poster said. 50 amp service on an RV is actually two 50 amp lines for a total of 100 amps. Each leg of 50 goes into separate bars in your main box. Just rewire one air conditioner to pull off of the opposite bar that the other two are pulling off of and you will be able to run all three.

Az_Ernie

I believe you can run all three like an earlier poster said. 50 amp service on an RV is actually two 50 amp lines for a total of 100 amps. Each leg of 50 goes into separate bars in your main box. Just rewire one air conditioner to pull off of the opposite bar that the other two are pulling off of and you will be able to run all three.
Why would Heartland put all three A/C's on the same leg/bar? I'm completely ignorant on this subject, just curious.

dewwood

I don't know if all three AC's are on one leg, they may not be. I do not have a Cylcone with three AC's. The OP stated he could not run all three AC's at once so I was just saying that it is possible to run three with the available 100 amps he would just have to figure out how they are wired in his coach and make sure they were not all on one leg.

Az_Ernie

I don't know if all three AC's are on one leg, they may not be. I do not have a Cylcone with three AC's. The OP stated he could not run all three AC's at once so I was just saying that it is possible to run three with the available 100 amps he would just have to figure out how they are wired in his coach and make sure they were not all on one leg.
Understand. Again, just curious.

BLHFUN

Correct. I run all three when plugged in to 50 amp service. Garage and bedroom on one leg and the living room on the other. Each AC unit is wired to its own 20 amp breaker

porthole

Retired

Those trying to run all 3 AC units would be wise to check your loads at the breaker panel.

My panel was not balanced well at all, main AC, converter, hot water heater and all the outlets were on one leg (which included the coffee maker, micro and W/D).
Cyclones are equipped with 80 amp converters, so it is not unusual for me to see 12 amps or more at times, with nothing else on.

I don't see why all three AC's could not run at the same time - if you balance the panel.
My guess is they are set to only run any 2 of 3 units because of either RIVA codes - or more likely, because the available generators are only 5500 watts. Two circuits at 30 amps each, and that is under ideal conditions (temperature, altitude etc).

Park supply voltage is something we have to concern ourselves with as well.

"If" our trailer had the 3 AC units I would balance my 100 amp (50 x 2 = 12,000 watts) panel that:
a) indeed balances it
b) balance it based on our use.

I would then have some simple to use method of isolating one of the three AC's when using the genny.

Our home generator has load shedding built into the the main control unit. It sheds the AC simply be disconnecting the T-stat call for the compressor.
So, perhaps a simple mini on/off switch on the T-stat to the compressor circuit will work.

Onan

Ambient conditions for rated power output with muffler and RV enclosure, per ISO 8528-1:-
Temperature: 77° F (25° C)
Altitude: 500 ft (152.4 m), (99 kPa dry)
Typical power output change based on ambient conditions:
Temperature: Power output decreases 1% for every 10° F (5.5° C) increase
Altitude: Power output decreases 3.5% for every 1000 ft (305 m) increaseRatings represent minimums. Actual performance may be significantly higher based on installation and operatingconditions.

The gasoline versions are more efficient then the LP's. So non toy hauler types have an additional loss of power available.

Using the above info, "if" we were camping in the Smoky Mountains back in August 2008 during the drought and heat wave, our 45.8 amp actual output Onan 5500, at a temperature of 106 degrees and elevation of 6500', would have had an output of only 35.9 amps.

Randor

On my 4150 I can run the garage AC and either the bedroom or living room AC. I don't really care to rewire the AC's since I am not an electrician and a close relative to Tim the Toolman Taylor. On a really hot day I will run run the Bedroom and Garage AC's with the doors open between them and the living room. I don't use the garage a lot so I don't usually run the garage AC - instead, if I am in the living room I will run the bedroom AC (with bathroom pocket door closed) and a tower fan in the doorway to the living room blowing air into it. If I am in the bedroom, I will reverse it and run the living room AC. I do it that way because the AC units are really loud and I prefer to have the noise in the other room which reduces the direct noise level.

I have a Cyclone 4200 HD that has 3 air conditioners. I was told I could only use two at a time is this true? I would love to be able to use all 3 as it gets hot in the room you are not running it>