"D" shaped gasket creeps forward out of channel when traveling

Chippendale

The "D" shaped gasket in the channel at the top of my main slide creeps "forward" :confused: when towing the trailer on the highway. Have tried to slide it back into the channel several times and hold it in place with a screw and large flat washer over the edge of the "flat" side of the gasket, also have tried duct tape but nothing has worked.

Am planning on pulling it completely out of the channel, scraping all the old caulk off the top of the channel and replacing the gasket with a liberal amount of silicone adhesive along the length of the slide. Reinserting the gasket, screws and washers and then caulking the top of the channel.

Does anyone have any better idea as to how to permanently fix this problem?

Thanks,
George

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I have a similar problem and now mine has popped out of the track in the center. I'm going to replace several screws this weekend and hope that works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lance & Jo

Strongly suggest you don't use the adhesive. These gaskets eventually wear out (I just had to replace all mine this year) and with the adhesive it would be difficult to get it back off again. The screws you mention should be placed inside the gasket approx 3/4 inch from the end. If you are doing it this way and the screws are actually tearing through the gasket material as you travel it would suggest the slide is moving back and forth, not staying closed tightly and indicating a slide adjustment.

wdk450

I had a problem with the securing screws pulling through the rubber, even with washers on the heads. I finally came up with an idea for a giant, rectangular-shaped washer - I used a steel mending plate as a washer. No more problems!
mending plate.jpg

dennych1

I'm having same problem, tried everything. Seems like slide needs to be adjusted but is it o tight or to loose. I'm not sure.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
I had that problem with our Bighorn before we traded it and we caulked the D seal with sealant and put a screw in on both ends of the D seal coating the screws with silicone and then covering the screw heads with caulk to prevent all water intrusion and never had a problem for the remaining 19 months we owned it. Just remember that if you do put a screw in, that the screw heads and the screw shafts must be sealed to prevent water intrusion which will result in far worse problems than a loose D seal.

Rod

DaveTyler

For Bill Knight, when using what you did, did you put two screws in or just the one? Mine has one screw on each end. I do understand the silicone to stop the moisture. Thanks. Dave

wdk450

For Bill Knight, when using what you did, did you put two screws in or just the one? Mine has one screw on each end. I do understand the silicone to stop the moisture. Thanks. Dave

I'm pretty sure I used 2 screws, but didn't think to water seal them. Being in dry California I don't think/worry about water intrusion that much.