Top slide gasket sliding out (Bighorn)

dennych1

I have a problem where the top gasket on slides(D shaped) travels out while going down the road. Some time it's 2 inches some time it 4 ft. I tried putting screw and washer on each end but it rips out of screw. The gasket has been replaced 2 times once by me and once by an RV place. Also the up right gasket has a 2'ft slice in it. This was replaced by heartland at the goshen rally. There seems to be small pieces of rubber on the side wall of slide. I could us help since this has been going on since day 1. You think it's fixed then 1000 miles down the road and it happens again or even 500 miles. I attached end photo,s.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 77
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 78
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 82

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Re: ATF: Bighorn - Top slide gasket sliding out

Just thinking out loud here, but my thoughts are that there is a chance that the slide needs adjustment.
The reason I say that is because of the slit in the side gasket and the pieces of rubber on the slide where it would be making contact.
This could also affect the top gasket.
Just my thoughts.

Peace
Dave

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

Might be something sticky on the slide top where it meets the seal. The seal sticking to the slide when you put it out might just be whats happening.

Bones

Just thinking out loud here, but my thoughts are that there is a chance that the slide needs adjustment.
The reason I say that is because of the slit in the side gasket and the pieces of rubber on the slide where it would be making contact.
This could also affect the top gasket.
Just my thoughts.

Peace
Dave
I agree somewhere along the line I think contact is being made. You could take measurements to see how the slide sits in the opening. Maybe it is sitting too close to the one side of the slide. last resort is , I know it could be problematic but I think that you should remove the gasket place a camera or another person and watch the slide go in and out to se where clearance is an issue.

dennych1

I checked there is nothing sticky on the slide .

- - - Updated - - -

I do believe there is something to do with an adjustment. Not sure if it needs to close tighter or be a little looser. I was hoping to hear from someone that might of had the same problem or heartland to get back to me.

texasron

Hi, I had the same problem on our 2012 and also on our new 2015. y top rubber keeps sliding took small tek screw attacked at the very end NO more shifting.

DougS

Doug S

I had the same problem in my HL, screws with washers worked on mine. Is it possible the top of the side is too tight and pushing seal out as you drive.

lindaw

Florida Chapter Leader - Retired

We had that problem with our Landmark right away and fixed it a couple of times, then in Goshen it was replaced.
Linda

texasron

Denny, when I installed the screws it seemed so far that it fixed the D molding from moving, the tear in the D molding is still there but not getting worse. I will keep following you thread hopefully you will get yours figured out and you would so kindly pass what you learn onto the rest of us Heartland owners.
Ron

Oregon_Camper

I just had this happen to our Bighorn last weekend. It is at the shop now getting that looked at as well as a few minor warrant items. I'll be watching this thread for sure!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk