Day night shade broke, now what ?

Westwind

I've made up my mind that if any of my large window D/N shades fail I'm replacing them with the MCD shades, no strings and everyone that has them are very satisfied. I'm sure they are a little pricey but I intend to keep our Bighorn for a long time so I'm sure I'll get my money back on them. Restringing D/N shades do not lower the stress levels in my book. Their MCD Gold series is the least expensive and if you go with just a night shade it's even more reasonable.

http://www.mcdinnovations.com/

wyleyrabbit

I have had to restring several of ours. The toughest part is finding the proper cord. One might think one could buy that at places like Home Depot, Walmart, craft stores, etc. Not a chance. They'll all sell blinds, but not the cord. We finally found a repair kit at camping world that included a bunch of cord.

Doing the restring is actually really easy, but is a bit tedious. Put on some tunes, take your time.

Chris

supernan1414

We just restrung two of our shades, ugg. The first was a little one, the second was the big rear window. What a job. The screws were difficult to find as other had told us, two were in such a way couldn't just screw them out. I don't think we could have done it in the 5er, waited till we were home and used dining room table. I think if the big one breaks again we will go the route JohnDar did and go with vertical blinds, send it back to factory or go with something else.
We are summer weekender plus one month in Fl last year, I really don't think we have used them that much that they should be breaking.

pegmikef

I have had to restring several of ours. The toughest part is finding the proper cord. One might think one could buy that at places like Home Depot, Walmart, craft stores, etc. Not a chance. They'll all sell blinds, but not the cord. We finally found a repair kit at camping world that included a bunch of cord.

Doing the restring is actually really easy, but is a bit tedious. Put on some tunes, take your time.

Chris

I just use 80 pound test fish line. Easy to thread and you only have to do it once. . . plus it is clear so you don't see it.

MTPockets

I've made up my mind that if any of my large window D/N shades fail I'm replacing them with the MCD shades, no strings and everyone that has them are very satisfied. I'm sure they are a little pricey but I intend to keep our Bighorn for a long time so I'm sure I'll get my money back on them. Restringing D/N shades do not lower the stress levels in my book. Their MCD Gold series is the least expensive and if you go with just a night shade it's even more reasonable.

http://www.mcdinnovations.com/
. I'm hoping ours breaks soon. MCD is the way we're going.

Birchwood

I have replaced every sting on every shade in our Landmark.Its not a big deal just time consuming. If you don't use the dark inside shade the stings will last longer.

bobday55

Replacing strings that are frayed will just lead to more frayed strings unless the grommets are replaced correctly. I wrote an article for Highways magazine, Feb 2011 issue explaining the problem. The manufacturer of the blinds puts the grommet in the wrong way allowing the string to rub on bare metal. Highways magazine says to check out www.dirtyblindman.com for all the parts needed to fix them. Be sure to check that new grommets are included.