Decision Time: LM San Antonio vs Savannah

CrossWay

We are at that point! Getting ready to order a new Landmark. We have this one dilemma going on in our heads. How do we handle laptop computer activities in these units mentioned in the post Title. I often work at home on my company laptop and my wife uses our personal laptop for finances, etc.
The San Antonio has a nifty little work nook next to the living room TV....but....we really like the Savannah. Can anyone help us with laptop work station recommendations in a Savannah?
We have seen the pull out desk, above the fireplace, in the Savannah, but that just seems so "in the middle of everything".
The San Antonio also has some counterspace that could be used, as well.
The Savannah has a little closet, or something, to the right of the refrigerator. Can that me made into a little, open door, work area?
We have been able to see a San Antonio "in the flesh", but not a Savannah.
Any perspectives would be appreciated....and not just the computer thing, but any other perspectives, as well
New to this forum and really look forward to becoming an active member, with either a San Antonio or a Savannah.
Thanks, Gene

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
My suggestion would be order it without recliners and then get theater seating with detachable trays....this has turned out great for us! We can both use our laptops while sitting side by side! They pivot out of the way when not in use and are great for meals or snacks also.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Although we're not looking right now, I think we'd probably go for the Savanna. We both do some work from the trailer, me using my recliner and my wife using the dining table. We both have wireless access to the printer which sits on the table and a combination of park wifi and our own Verizon card for Internet service.

Wife likes the Savanna floorplan but would hate to lose counter space. We have a Grand Canyon with the L-shaped counter which gives her much more cooking space but the island is a more open design. When the time comes, I guess I'll have to learn to live with the split bath.

jbeletti

Hi Gene,

Wow - tough decision. I've had both floor plans and many others. Each had things I really liked.

In my San Antonio, I used the dedicated desk space occasionally. However, in all the Landmark floor plans I've had, I find myself working on my laptop on my lap in my recliner/theater seat most often. The exception is when I'm preparing expense reports and need room to spread the papers out and to set out my little HP 100 printer. For this, I use the pull-out desk above the fireplace.

Jay mentioned that he uses his laptop from his recliner and that Stella uses her's from the dinette table. Point being, we all know what works best for ourselves in terms of a work space - and you'll just need to work through that.

Other considerations to think about with these floor plans:

San Antonio
  • First floor laundry (we really liked it)
  • L-shaped island (was a bit small for me who loves to prep and cook a lot)
  • Dedicated desk space that's not in front of the TV (works great if the space is right-sized for you and you're not in front of the TV, which may be appreciated by your mate)
  • Our longest Landmark - about a foot and a half longer than the Savannah. Really nice to have the extra space in the bedroom and have the first floor laundry
Savannah
  • Hall laundry (we like this too)
  • Free-standing island (I prefer the space)
  • Pull-out desk. Great for hiding it. Not so great if others want to watch TV while you are working at the desk
  • Pantry (big space for food and such - one of our favorite features)
Both great floor plans, like the rest of the Landmark lineup. Wish you all the best in your decision and looking forward to you becoming a Heartland owner yet this year!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
After having a 5th wheel with a desk area, I don't know that I/we could do without it. If we were in the market, the desk area would be a "must have".

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
After having a 5th wheel with a desk area, I don't know that I/we could do without it. If we were in the market, the desk area would be a "must have".

Same here. We like the idea of the front bath models (currently Bighorn, BigCountry) where the second half bath is instead a hobby room/ office.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seren

Wife likes the Savanna floorplan but would hate to lose counter space. We have a Grand Canyon with the L-shaped counter which gives her much more cooking space but the island is a more open design. When the time comes, I guess I'll have to learn to live with the split bath.

The 2014 Grand Canyon's now have an island instead of the "L" shaped counter top. We just got our GC a few weeks ago since we preferred the island and the single bath/shower and TV opposite the theater seating.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
We have a 2014 San Antonio. We love it!! The counter space in the kitchen (or lack thereof) is terrible, but I absolutely love the entry way closet (Carol doesn't want a washer/dryer in the rig) and I'm not sure I could live without the dedicated computer space. I have my laptop sitting there 100% of the time, even when we travel, and I have the wireless printer in the cabinet above the computer. When we get ready to move, I just shut everything down and pull in the slide. We looked at the new Savanna, but did not like the pull out computer desk for reasons others have mentioned here.

To each his own, but the San Antonio sure works well for us.