Denver to Durango Route

JPo

We are planning our first trip with the new trailer I a few weeks and was interested in any advise on a route from Denver to Durango. I had planned on I25, but 285 is shorter. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

I regularly travel from Fairplay to Pagosa Springs, which is mostly a pretty easy tow. Wolf Creek Pass on 160 is demanding, both up and down. A good engine brake comes in pretty handy going down the west side of the pass. You must keep your speed under control and brakes alone won't do the job. Once you get down the hill, 160 to Durango is easy.

I don't know about 285 from Denver to Fairplay.

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
I would take 285 as it is both shorter and faster. You will not be able to tow at interstate speeds with your trailer so it should be a more comfortable drive. It also is a more scenic drive.

Gary521

Depends on time of year and weather. I would not want to pull a trailer over Wolf Creek, Monarch or Red Mountain passes in crummy weather.

Mrsfish

We just did this route last summer. 285 out of Denver is beautiful and easy. 4 lane road most of the way. I'm with everyone else- depends on the time of the year, but it is a very nice, pretty trip.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We travel 285 west to Buena Vista, then take 24 south to 50 and west frequently during the camping season from Denver to Gunnison.

Monarch Pass is not too bad . . .

Once past Gunnison you can follow 50 to Montrose, then south on 550 to Durango.

This will bypass Wolf Creek Pass.

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
We travel 285 west to Buena Vista, then take 24 south to 50 and west frequently during the camping season from Denver to Gunnison.

Monarch Pass is not too bad . . .

Once past Gunnison you can follow 50 to Montrose, then south on 550 to Durango.

This will bypass Wolf Creek Pass.

This route will take you through Ouray and the Million Dollar Highway which some don't like to drive.

TedS

Take 285, no problem. Get more comfortable with your rig before driving the Million Dollar Highway.

Mrsfish

Here's the difference , imho, you have a north trail- the million dollar highway will be okay to drive. I have a bighorn- I would rather go over wolf creek pass.

dave10a

Weather is the issue. I have traveled everyway imaginable and only depends what you want to see and do.

JPo

Wow I'm impressed with all the responses, thank you! I guess we will see how the weather is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JPo

Sorry for the delayed response. The trip was great and the route was perfect! Thank you all for your input!