DETERMINED: 2012 Ford 6.7L - Blew hose - What is it?

jbeletti

A couple months back, I lost turbo power coming up a hill on the way home, while towing the RV. Dropped off the RV and took the truck out on the highway - still, no turbo.

Took it to Ford the next day and the turbo "was working" on the drive there. Ford ran diags and test drove twice - no trouble found.

Took the truck home, took it on an RV trip - all was well, until yesterday. Towing the RV on flat ground in 100 degree heat for about 4 hours and I started to hear a sucking or wind rushing sound. I thought it was FM radio static but I could still hear the music well. Turned the radio off and heard the sound still, then bam, lost turbo power and engine got real noisy.

Babied it for the next 60 miles, watching the oil temp and pulling over once to allow the oil to cool. Got to the CG, popped the hood and saw the issue right away. It's a short plastic hose/pipe and the collar of it is snapped at the inlet to something. The something is a cast metal housing and there is a vane inside.

The end of the hose/tube where it broke at it's molded collar was jagged. My fear is that the engine ingested some bits of plastic. I stuck my finger inside the round inlet where the metal vane is to see if there was anything chunky in there. I pulled out the blackest, oily fingers you've ever seen.

I found a roll of metal foil tape and using short sections of it, got the hose "mended". I have not pulled the RV yet to see if my turbo power has been restored. We shall see. We'll on our way to the Springfield, IL area for the North Central Region Rally. I spoke to Jon Holbert by phone the morning about my truck and he told me there's a large Ford dealer in Springfield. My plan is to make it there (250 miles), purchase and install a new hose.

Question: What is it that this hose is connected to? Is it the Turbo? The Intercooler? I am not well versed in the components of my diesel engine.

Turbo Issue - Broken Turbo Hose - 01.jpg IMG_8676.jpg IMG_8677.jpg

SNOKING

Re: 2012 Ford 6.7L - Blew hose - What is it?

Don't drive it more! Get it fixed. I hope you purchased an extended warranty or that it is still in warranty. Time for the hook and a tow to a dealer. Chris

DougS

Doug S

Jim, I hate to say it but welcome to the turbo tube club. Your the third person I know. I was got last summer climbing a hill north of Franklin, NC but was able to coast into a Ford dealer. I was told it is not covered. Dealer had to send a driver 60 miles away to get replacement part, 5 hours later I was on my way. I now carry a spare tube in my truck which I found on Amazon for about $45 cheaper then dealer. Mine broke in the same spot as yours. Good luck.

SNOKING

"I pulled out the blackest, oily fingers you've ever seen." That sounds like a problem worse than the broken turbo tube? Sounds like a bad seal in the turbo which sends oil into the intercooler and onto any down stream sensors.

Why would this not be a warranty item?

Chris

nander

Texas North Chapter Leaders-retired

Turbo hose. Happened to us last summer on our way to Colorado. Dave installed the part. Luckily the dealer had one part in inventory. Our check engine light stayed on and when we got to CO, had those checked. They said the repair should have been under warranty (2012 Truck) and gave us another hose. The blown turbo also burned up the def sensors in the tailpipe. These were replaced under warranty.

avvidclif

The output of the turbo shouldn't have any oil at all. It should be clean air. That would be my concern. Something is leaking oil into the turbo or it's leaking.

jbeletti

Okay - this mystery is solved and the broken part has been replaced. I will be towing again tomorrow and hope the part holds :)

I was having trouble with the 2 closest Ford dealers in them understanding exactly which part I needed. Club member Jason Moses emailed me, then I called him. He knew what it was. With that info, I was able to speak to the dealer parts departments more intelligently and found the dealer the furthest distance had 2 in stock where the closeby one had none.

Drove 30 minutes (bobtailing and taking it real easy), bought the part, spoke to Jason one more time on the install, found a parking lot and installed the part in 8 minutes. It took longer than that to tape up the broken part two different times (both failed).

So the part from Ford is BC3Z6F073A and cost me $133.65 + tax. It's called an 6.7L Powerstroke Turbo Diesel Intercooler Outlet Tube w/ Intake Air Temp Sensor. It's a 3 piece item. I needed only one piece but will carry the other two with me and possibly replace them if time allows and if I can fit my ham-hands down near the intercooler.

Ford Part BC3Z6F073A - Turbo Diesel Intercooler Outlet Tube with Intake Air Temp Sensor.jpg

SNOKING

You really need to follow up and see why there was oil in the turbo outlet area. That is a sign of a failed oil seal in the turbo. Chris

jbeletti

What is the likely cause for that to break? Vibration? Defect? Heat?

Terry,

My guess is High Pressure and Heat. This is an injection molded plastic part. When the turbo kicks in, there is a lot of pressure put on this part. Maybe it should be made of metal or silicone instead.

Last edited:

MTPockets

Terry,

My guess is High Pressure and Heat. This is an injection molded plastic part. With the turbo kicks in, there is a lot of pressure put on this part. Maybe it should be made of metal or silicone instead.
. My guess... Thanks for the info... I printed a pic of your post and the part number/description... Hope I never need it, but who knows..

MCTalley

And this is a part that has not changed over the years. Looked under the hood of our '16 and it is still plastic.

Sniper

This does sound like a nice upgrade, but $600 compared to $135...?? Not real sure I would.
Consider the upgrade kit isn't just replacing that one part, it's replacing ALL the inter-cooler pipes, boots, and clamps with metal pipes, and lifetime boots. Four (4) of their lifetime boots alone (for my application) are $230.00. Still not for everyone though. :)

This goes to your intercooler it is known you do that on these truck .. H&S Motorsports sell a aftermarket one that will fix you problem for ever and never have to worry about it doing it again

https://hs-motorsports.com/misc-pro...oem.html?SID=d7742e58e64940204a37a882d9c4345b

It's worth the price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the best fix for the problem you had .. Is you broke the stock one , you will probably break it again so why not put a part that fixes it and don't void warranty's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbeletti

This is the best fix for the problem you had .. Is you broke the stock one , you will probably break it again so why not put a part that fixes it and don't void warranty's

Of the tens of thousands of these motors sold, "most" owners do not experience this issue. It happened to me at 99,000 miles. For $133, if the replacement part lasts me another 99,000 miles - this was the right fix "for me". The $600 part option is "bulletproofing" it to be sure. Nothing wrong with that at all. And that fix will be the best one for some.

That all said, I do expensive mods and even repairs on my RV that others feel are nuts. Each must make decisions they feel are the "best for them". And while the $600 part is not for me, I am appreciative to the person who posted it as it opens the eyes of all readers that there are better repair options.

It all good friends :)