Did I mess Up? (or not)

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
I think there are a few folks pulling 3670's and Augusta's with 2500 series trucks. Might be stretching it doing so, but they claim no problems. Might all depend on where you plan to haul your rig and how much excess baggage you're carrying. And as mentioned frequently, it's not so much the pulling but the stopping that you need to be concerned about.

As far as being able to stop. The part numbers for the brake system on 2500 vs 3500 are indentical. The brake system on the two trucks are exactly the same. The only advantage is the fact that you have 6 wheels on the ground instead of 4. Truth be known, as the chart says, a vast majority of the 3500/350 towers are also overweight and exceeding their GCWR. I guess it is all a matter of how far overweight you are comfortable with.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The GMC 3500HD does a bit better with only the 3:73 available with the Duramax/Allison.

nemo45

And, the only difference in the suspension is the overload springs. Anyway on my Dodge that is the only difference. I have added Firestone Ride Rites on my 3500, but I really don't need them, except that the rear lowers a couple of inches before it hits the overloads.

2010augusta

A Truth be known, as the chart says, a vast majority of the 3500/350 towers are also overweight and exceeding their GCWR. I guess it is all a matter of how far overweight you are comfortable with.

BINGO: and that is why we tow with a 450. I wanted a Dodge but there was not a 4:10 geared one in the state of Colorado, and we would still have been close to the GCVW limit, Even with the F-450 we are within a couple hundred pounds.

As far as people getting pulled over for being over-weight, I think that it is a lot of "I heard about this one guy... and This friend I know said..." but the real issue in towing over-weight is IF you are in an accident, your insurance will in most cases reject your claim, and that is a lot bigger cost than a ticket from the Highway Patrol

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
BINGO: and that is why we tow with a 450. I wanted a Dodge but there was not a 4:10 geared one in the state of Colorado, and we would still have been close to the GCVW limit, Even with the F-450 we are within a couple hundred pounds.

As far as people getting pulled over for being over-weight, I think that it is a lot of "I heard about this one guy... and This friend I know said..." but the real issue in towing over-weight is IF you are in an accident, your insurance will in most cases reject your claim, and that is a lot bigger cost than a ticket from the Highway Patrol

Not to be too contrary here, but that is another one that I have never heard a personal experience about. I would love to meet someone that personally has had their insurance refuse to pay a claim based on the trailer being overweight. If that has happened to anyone on the forum would sure like to hear about it.
Fred

mregister

I am going to be looking at f450s for sure, but if I have to buy new, I can probably get a better deal (by far) on a Dodge. I do not have a good Ford dealer anywhere near me, the dealerships here are like a throwback to the 70s- high pressure, 4-square deal sheets, polyester slacks, bad hair etc.

I have purchased from that large Dodge dealer in Idaho (Dave Smith) and have been pleased, so that is prubably what I will do again.

mike

Northern Virginia
I tow our Augusta with an 08 GMC 2500 Duramax. I have full coverage on the truck and a separate policy with full coverage on the Landmark with the same insurance company. So they know what I am towing and with what truck. It would seem very slippery for them to deny a claim based on the weight when they know what I am towing and what is pulling it.

jpjulian

We are towing a 3370RL with an F250 with 9800 lb. gvwr. We are slightly over the gvwr, but not over on either axle weights of the truck or trailer, nor are we over on the gcwr. Talked to our dealer before either unit was purchased and he said we'd be fine. Coming up on 36,000 miles since July, 07, and all is well. We may sag an inch or two in the rear but the dealer, who sells both air bags and Timbrens, said not to bother with either in our application. FWIW we have a standard bed opposed to a long bed. Your combo will be heavier and a long bed with a helper spring should handle the load, barely. A dually will definitely be better yet. We went with a 250 because a 350 wouldn't fit in the garage. In our case, all is well and I have no concerns at all. Enjoy the new truck.

Joe

:confused:Just bought us a brand spanking new Dodge Ram 2500 Big Horn Quad cab with the 6.7 cummins. Then went out and bought a 3670 Big Horn fifth wheel (my wife fell in love with it). Now after reading all of the posts about this, that and t'other I am wondering if I screwed up with the 2500. If I did I will just have to pull light and stock up when we get to where we are going. Anyone have any thoughts? Someone put my mind at ease.... Anything that I can do to make things better?

I have the exact same camper and the exact same truck, and so does two other friends of mine who tow with a comparable model camper with trailer GVW over 12,500 lbs. We go everywhere! The trucks aren't even in a strain and I can actually pass folks on the highway running 80. We swear by them now as the Cummins diesel apparently don't play. I was reluctant and doubtfull at first as I towed it for a brief period with my farm truck (Ford F-250) and it was a little slugish. So, when I hooked to the Cummins, it was a night and day difference in what I thought would have been comparable to my Ford 2500. It works for us well, but you will get mixed opinions, so only you can decide what will work, what you're comfortable with, and what best suits your needs. But, hey, I'd give the Dodge a chance, first! ;) Hope this helps!

imchud

:confused:Just bought us a brand spanking new Dodge Ram 2500 Big Horn Quad cab with the 6.7 cummins. Then went out and bought a 3670 Big Horn fifth wheel (my wife fell in love with it). Now after reading all of the posts about this, that and t'other I am wondering if I screwed up with the 2500. If I did I will just have to pull light and stock up when we get to where we are going. Anyone have any thoughts? Someone put my mind at ease.... Anything that I can do to make things better?

No you didn't mess up.... I got a 2005 dodge 6.7 cummins, and I pull my 3385 likes it not even behind me. My problem is not to follow someone to close, i keep my distance so if I got to stop i got plenty of room... The only thing I ever though of doing is to add air bags to the truck, which i never did, It will sag the bed a few inches but nothing to bad. I have pulled it up and down Jericho mountain, in Tennessee.. and have passed plenty of GMC's and Fords;)

rick_debbie_gallant

:DTHANK YOU ALL, for both the types of reviews, both pro and con. IMHO it dont matter what you are driving or towing with or what you are towing. If you are driving too fast for conditions (weather, traffic, your own ability, fools on the road) or are driving tired, distracted or have had a few too many to drink etc, you could be pulling with a semi tractor rig and still mess up:eek:. Anyone ever see some of the horrific accidents of people pulling with some big truck or whatever and have a disaster? My dodge 2500 pulls great and stops great:D. That IS my story and I will stick to it.

nemo45

No you didn't mess up.... I got a 2005 dodge 6.7 cummins, and I pull my 3385 likes it not even behind me. My problem is not to follow someone to close, i keep my distance so if I got to stop i got plenty of room... The only thing I ever though of doing is to add air bags to the truck, which i never did, It will sag the bed a few inches but nothing to bad. I have pulled it up and down Jericho mountain, in Tennessee.. and have passed plenty of GMC's and Fords;)

Get the airbags. You might think you don't sag much. But, did you ever drive it at night and have others flash their highbeams at you when you have them on low? I just bought a set for $245 delivered. Not much for the amount of safety you'd gain.

Drew

Drew, I noticed in you pic that you have the new style mirrors on your Ford. Are they the newer factory mirrors or a knock off? Where did you get them? I don't like the mirrors on our '05 and if I'm going to learn to haul the BH I want to be comfortable.

They are 2008 Ford mirrors and they are much better than the older style. Much bigger glass. They will bolt right on to your truck with no problems. The only thing you may have to change is the plug for the wire harness. Drew....

Drew

Going back to the weight police. How could they know if you had your rear end changed to .410 gears. How would they even know what gears your running stock. They would have to run your vin with a dealer. As far as pulling all these trucks can pull huge weights. The Cummins with the e brake can stop them very well even. The main reason I am pro dually is four tires are better than two...........

rick_debbie_gallant

Get the airbags. You might think you don't sag much. But, did you ever drive it at night and have others flash their highbeams at you when you have them on low? I just bought a set for $245 delivered. Not much for the amount of safety you'd gain.
Oh yes, did I also mention that I have the airbags installed? Man what a difference.

sgtbigb

2500 HD Dodge

Rick,
I agree, I also have a 2500 Dodge HD with 6.7 and it pulls my 3619RE as well as the 3400RE with was lighter and the air bags makes a whole lot of difference;)

wyleyrabbit

For anyone that thinks that highway patrol will never pull someone over or give a ticket based on being overweight, I think it greatly matters where you are. See this thread:

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?p=68423