Diesel Aux and main tanks

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I am always ready for a break by the time I've gone 250 miles.

Oh we still stop about every 2 hours or so, but it's for a 10 min relaxing rest stop, not a 20-30 min ordeal at the truck stop because you have to fuel. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
Oh we still stop about every 2 hours or so, but it's for a 10 min relaxing rest stop, not a 20-30 min ordeal at the truck stop because you have to fuel. ;)

X2. We have a 40 gal gravity flow tank and always fill after we are unhooked and set up for the day. No worries looking for a station that we can fit into with the 5ver.

Lynn1130

I replaced the small 26 gal tank with the 52 gal Titan and love it. Unloaded I get close to 1200 miles before I would have to refuel (my bladder won't go nearly that long) and 500 to 600 with the trailer on. I can pick my station to refuel rather than be limited to what is available (at some high price) when the tank gets low. I don't have to stop as often which is a savings in time and fuel if you figure starts and stops. Other than the Banks Brake the Titan is the best add-on that I have done.

MikeR

In my 2008 Silverado it too only had the 26 gallon tank. Bought a 41 gallon gravity feed tank from Pickup Specialties, http://www.pickupspecialties.com/Delta/delta_liquid_transfer_tanks.htm
Easy install and cost about $550 and worth every dollar. It is actually for sale since it won't fit under the new retrax cover on the new pickup. PM if interested

I didn't notice a new truck in your signature. I'm sure you have upgraded to a 3500, just preparing for your new Landmark!

rjr6150

I have a 36 gallon gas tank and get roughly 400 miles per tank when towing . . . 500+ when not towing!

I don't think there is anywhere in the US that is more than 400 miles away from a gas station.

Not too mention that I like to stop and stretch every two hours or so . . .

Try dragging. 40' unit with a crewcab. Then see how easy it is to get into non truck stop facilities that don't have a dedicated lane.

SilverRhino

Our situation is different than most of those posting. We have a range of anywhere between 1400 and 1900 miles depending upon the grade, wind, etc. Having the ability to plan a trip around 200 gallons of fuel does take some of the stress out of things. I do have to be even more careful of where I fuel up, but we have plenty of time to plan for it.

We still stop every couple of hours....I use the excuse that the dogs need to exercise :rolleyes: Any extra fuel that you are able to carry will definitely give you and advantage in planning your trip.

Travel Safe!

IronJ

Try dragging. 40' unit with a crewcab. Then see how easy it is to get into non truck stop facilities that don't have a dedicated lane.
Amen...I've been in off Highway situations where I had to drop the trailer to fuel...

On a side note, one of our travel buddies took the baffle out of his stock f350 26 gal tank...says he can fit 38 gal now??..

Titan tanks are super slick....but pricy compared to a steel or aluminum transfer tank...

And then there is the payload issue if your carting an extra 40 gal (about 350 lbs easy) tank

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

Probably not that much different from dragging around a 34-foot 5th-wheeler . . .

Although since my truck has a gas engine I do have more gas stations to choose from.

RoadJunkie

And then there is the payload issue if your carting an extra 40 gal (about 350 lbs easy) tank

If your truck is anything like mine, this payload isn't with the truck for very long! I think I'm going to go with the replacement tank on my ford. Yes, it's more expensive, but I just don't want the complexity of using my bed space with a removable system. One more thing to deal with when I want to use the truck.

porthole

Retired
Has anyone done a replacement stock tank before? Do you like it? What are your opinions?

AH yup - twice now.

2006 shortbed GMC with a 26 gallon factory tank.
Was fine until we bought the Cyclone and started traveling more. 200 mile fill ups were a real pain. Titan 52 gallon replacement tank, 400+miles towing was a real nice treat. It is not necessarily about being able to drive 400+ miles non stop, it is about the convenience of getting fuel on my schedule, not the trucks.

2011 F-350 long bed with a factory 37 gallon tank. Just not big enough for traveling. I replaced that tank with a Titan 65 gallon tank.

I realize you asked for specfics on in frame replacments, but I digress. I also added a bed mounted 45 gallon tank. I did some math and over the years most of our trips would have us out and back home with one tank of 65 gallons. But, we did at least one trip every year where we would average 1100 miles every year. That trip always had us buying fuel in pricey, not convenient areas. We live in New Jersey and about the only advantage to living here is the price of fuel. We typically have the lowest priced fuel within 500 miles. Buying 80-100 gallons at a time at 30-50 cents a gallon cheaper is a bonus. So my real advantage is filling up a day or 2 before we leave and re-filling sometime after we get home.

Never considered a bed tank for the GMC, the bed was short enough already.

I find the real advandtage in being to buy able fuel on my terms, usually serching for the best price.
Only real disadvantage is the $75-$125 credit card limits, and the "two swipe" use. I do have 3 local stations where I run the pump until full and then pay.

I only have one regret. With the GMC I sent the original tank to recycling. When I listed the truck on Craig's List I offered it with or without all the updates. I had several requests for the Titan if I would take it out.

The Ford's OEM tank is in the basment, ready to go back in when the current truck gets replaced.

Domi

The one thing we have noticed with both the Titan tanks that we have had was that it tends to stop filling 4 to 5 gallons from true full. Not a big issue but if you do not fill it until it gergels in the tube (in our case we fill it all the way up until we can see it) you might be cutting your self a few gallons.

We were coming back to Denver from Salina this fall battling a head wind all the way and actually had the low fuel light come on which I was not sure even worked any more (We had not seen it since we had the stock tank and pulling a trailer 10 years ago). A little to close for comfort for both of us so now at 1/4 we will fill, but it is nicer to be able to choose where to fill then just having to pull over and do it every 200 miles.

Love the Titan and the extra range it gives us.

Domi

Bones

Thanks all. Sounds like for me the Titan is a winner just to give a few extra miles. Sometimes I would like to just keep going if everyone is good and not stop. Right now I have to stop every few hundred miles and those stops usually turn into 30 to 40 min stops. I don't think I've had a stop less than 25 minutes. Now to figure out how to talk the wife into letting me get the tank It's not cheap.

whp4262

I have an aux tank in the bed made by Attatank.com, think it was about $1000.00 give or take with the auto fill setup. It uses a transfer pump bolted to the frame and a computer tied into the trucks tank sending unit. When the truck tank gets to about 1/2 tank the computer turns on the transfer pump until the truck tank gets to 3/4 then shuts off. The aux tank also has its own level gauge and switch mounted in the cab so I can see what's left in the tank and turn the system on and off. Gives me a 600 to 700 mile range when towing before I need to think about gassing up.

pegmikef

Both my replacement tank and my current in bed aux tanks are transferflo and are metal. No problems with either one of them. I think some models of the Titan replacement tank needed some kind of metal guard underneath it on certain trucks (or it was recommended). I only used the transferflo because that's what my particular dealer installs.

Last edited:

Lynn1130

There is a tank shield for the titans if you do a lot of off roading. It is not necessary otherwise.

There were two important reasons for my installing the Titan. 1. Longer runs without having to deal with frequent fuel stops this also included back country hunting/quading trips where I did not want to worry about running out of fuel in the desert far from the nearest diesel station. 2. I use the bed of my truck for carrying a quad, and various projects and did not want it full of fuel tank.

ncc1701e

You are set with this system, interesting concept and very informational web site.

I've been reading reviews on Titan and their tech support. Hummm.

I put in the titan 50 gal tank. Replaced the stock 26 gallon tank. I did not want to have a second tank using up bed space in the truck. Computer in the truck was reprogrammed and everything works fine.

You mentioned Titan's customet service. If any says they never have a tank failure tell them that it has happened. My first tank suffered an internal failure. Yes internal, what Titan finally concluded was that the tank did not cure correctly in the manufacturing process. A lot of pictures and several phone calls, but in the end it was their problem. Once we got to that point they paid for the new tank and for my local Ford dealer to install the tank. May sound like it took a long time to resolve, but it was only about a week for them to accept responsibility. Another week in shipping and installation. All in all they were very good about the whole ordeal. Of course at first it was, "We have never had a tank like yours fail, can not be our our problem." First tank failed at months. The replacement is two yeas old and I am very pleased with Tiatan.

I installed the extra road guard on the tank. I do not off road. The tank is taller than the stock tank and hangs lower. With all the road hazards on our extremely well maintained roads today i though it a cheap insurance policy.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
One thing I like about the in bed tank, is that when I trade the truck, it can easily come out and installed into the next on. It doesn't matter what model or make of truck. Just drop it in and tap the line and done.

Not to concerned about bed space as much. I have a 7'x12' tandem axle trailer that really makes it nice to haul stuff.

One thing that is bad about any of these larger capacity tanks, it filling the up. $$$$$ haha. Pulled to the pump yesterday to fill both. 60gal @ $2.63/gal. OUCH!! Oh well.

RoadJunkie

That certainly is a positive customer service experience for Titan.

Is it true that the "skid plate" is a piece of thick poly that attaches to the bottom of the tank? How much further does it hang down than the OEM tank?