Diesel Aux and main tanks

ncc1701e

That certainly is a positive customer service experience for Titan.

Is it true that the "skid plate" is a piece of thick poly that attaches to the bottom of the tank? How much further does it hang down than the OEM tank?

The skid plate is more of a full lenght tray with a small lip the tank sits in and the brackets then go under the skid plate. It actually adds support for the full lenght of the tank.

The Titan tank is about 5 to 6 inches taller than the stock Ford tank.

porthole

Retired
Is it true that the "skid plate" is a piece of thick poly that attaches to the bottom of the tank? How much further does it hang down than the OEM tank?

The skid plate is a material similar to the tank, if not the same.
The tank sits into the skid plate as if it was molded to the tank.
It is nothing more then plastic, so I don't believe it adds any additional strength or support.
Overall the plate may add an extra 1/2" less clearence.
The tank sits about 2" or so lower then stock and is much longer.
I have never hit bottom with either this truck or the GMC, about 9 years of trouble free use between the two trucks.

With or without the plate, if you were to hit something, I would guess the tank would do OK. These tanks are tough, and poly tanks have been in vehicles since the late 70's. I would guess anything you were to hit that could damage the tank will damage a lot of other stuff on the truck as well.

Between the Transfer Flow and Titan, my opinion the Titan is a better option. For a given application the Titan is larger and I prefer the plastic over the aluminized steel.

Lynn1130

I noticed that someone mentioned that their Titan stopped filling 5 or 6 gals before full. Mine is about a gal so when my DIC tells me that I have used 35 gals I actually have used 36-37. I also found that my dash fuel warning goes off with about 10 gals left. I do have an EFI Live correction to the truck's computer to correct for the 52 gal over the 26 gal tank.

I had the shield added because I am on some pretty nasty roads during hunting season and while I have bounced the skid plate up front a time or two I have never hit anything in the back of the truck.

ncc1701e

That certainly is a positive customer service experience for Titan.

Here are a couple pics of the tank and skid plate. In the end, it is up to you as to what works for you.

Attachments

• Fuel Tank 1.jpg
    Fuel Tank 1.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 68
  • Fuel Tank 2.jpg
    Fuel Tank 2.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 64

Power-Stroke

Just got the Dually Depot 115 gallon tank installed yesterday. Our trip to Destin, FL (from NC) finally convinced me... stopping at truck stops added about 4 hours to the total trip.
On the drive home last night, it was nice to be able to flip a switch and keep driving. Next week will be the first trip towing... will be camping near Hilton Head, SC for Thanksgiving.
Jay

Last edited:

maddog

Huhmina ! Huhmina!
u gotta love that...........
Just got the Dually Depot 115 gallon tank installed yesterday. Our trip to Destin, FL (from NC) finally convinced me... stopping at truck stops added about 4 hours to the total trip.
On the drive home last night, it was nice to be able to flip a switch and keep driving. Next week will be the first trip towing... will be camping near Hilton Head, SC for Thanksgiving.
Jay

MTPockets

Transfer Flow fuel tanks, according to their web site, are all DOT, Department of Transportation certified in all 50 states. They go on to suggest that not all manufacturers tanks are legal. This for me is an important detail to check into. FYI.

yport

Auxiliary Fuel Tank For Truck Bed

I have been researching a good auxiliary fuel tank for the back of our short bed truck ... and one that is not permanent so I can remove when not hauling and use the full bed as needed. Ran across this company with what looks like a great solution ... several sizes, extremely portable, no installation required, and ease of use to transfer fuel. Anyone seen or heard of the Enduraplas Fuel Transfer System? Check out their product and easy use video.

http://enduraplas.com/product-category/endura-refueling-management/diesel-transfer-tanks/

RoadJunkie

From Titan site: "Passing and surpassing the DOT (Department of Transportation) standards test to prove the quality of fuel tanks".

The statement doesn't seem to clearly state DOT approved/certified. Probably best to clarify.

yport

Interesting timing ... as I was just researching this very thing and posted a similar question. I am looking for a more convenient way to carry extra fuel also, other than some extra 5 gallon cans that I have been. Want it portable so I can take out of bed when not using, and don't want to pay big $$ for a Titan replacement. Just came across this product which looks great for my purposes .... portable ... comes in multiple gallon sizes (I'm just looking at 25 gallon size), no installation needed, and ease of fuel transfer. Anyone seen this product?

http://enduraplas.com/product-category/endura-refueling-management/diesel-transfer-tanks/

Check out the video too ...

Last edited by a moderator:

Bigburd

Interesting timing ... as I was just researching this very thing and posted a similar question. I am looking for a more convenient way to carry extra fuel also, other than some extra 5 gallon cans that I have been. Want it portable so I can take out of bed when not using, and don't want to pay big $$ for a Titan replacement. Just came across this product which looks great for my purposes .... portable ... comes in multiple gallon sizes (I'm just looking at 25 gallon size), no installation needed, and ease of fuel transfer. Anyone seen this product?

Check out the video too ...

A lot like mine, self contained and removable. What kind of price?

yport

A lot like mine, self contained and removable. What kind of price?

At Northern Tool I see these prices:
25 gallon $609
55 gallon $669
55 gallon $679 (low profile)
75 gallon $719
100 gal $769

25 gallon will do me just fine ... giving me 51 gallons total.

RoadJunkie

Dang...25 gallon is about 1 1/2" too high to fit under my Pace Arrow roll top cover. Great solution, if it fits. Less than half the price of exchanging stock tank for the same fuel advantage.

Cabindoc

Re: Auxiliary Fuel Tank For Truck Bed

I am in the camp of aux transfer tank in the back of the truck. a lot less $$ and can move to the next truck. Also, can be removed easily if I need the room and not traveling. I bought my from the Fuel box. Really nice people, good product options. They use a low velocity pump very similar to Transfer flow. I went with a low profile tank as I have a bed cover.

Attachments

• Diamondback-New Measures-03.jpg
    Diamondback-New Measures-03.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 76

Bigburd

Re: Auxiliary Fuel Tank For Truck Bed

My cover rolls up. Have to do this for my 5th wheel anyway. Standard tank plus aux fuel tank gives me a range of 1000 miles before refill. And it can be removed when not needed. Stopping whenever I want do not need to.

Capt7383

What means do you guys employ to get the fuel from the aux. tank to the trucks tank? Such as gravity, pump,etc

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

busted2341

What a neat product. All in one transfer tank. I wonder if it would be possible to rig a strap or little box attachment to attach it to the bed to prevent any theft...Also did anyone notice the 55 gallon sizes appear to be different? If the 55 gallon is more flat, that would be the way to go....Has anyone purchased one yet? I emailed the company to inquire about pricing....

scottyb

Our situation is different than most of those posting. We have a range of anywhere between 1400 and 1900 miles depending upon the grade, wind, etc. Having the ability to plan a trip around 200 gallons of fuel does take some of the stress out of things. I do have to be even more careful of where I fuel up, but we have plenty of time to plan for it.

We still stop every couple of hours....I use the excuse that the dogs need to exercise :rolleyes: Any extra fuel that you are able to carry will definitely give you and advantage in planning your trip.

Wow! I didn't know the MDT's carried that much fuel. My range is only 900-1100 miles @ 150 gal. I rarely go over 500-600 because of the generator.

I have had an RDS gravity tank in my 07 Chevy and the 65 gal Titan replacement in my 2013 F350 . Titan replacement wins hands down, but at a cost. As someone mentioned earlier, it's a matter of whether you are willing to pay for that convenience. I purchased my F350 DRW with the Titan in the deal, so it softened the blow. There were some upfitter incentives available at the time. Unfortunately it went with the F350 when I sold it after 2 years. Now I am driving DW's former F250 SB with 26 gal tank. Seems like only around 22 gal are actually usable. I went from filling every 8-10 days to filling every other day, for work. Since I don't tow with it, the $1800 for a Titan is a hard pill to swallow.

RoadJunkie

If anyone has had their stock tank replaced by their Ford dealership with either the Titan or Transferflow, do you recall what you were charged?