Diesel Fuel Additive

I am wondering what everyone is using for their diesel trucks as an additive to the diesel fuel. I have a 2006 F-350 Dually with the 6.0 Power Stroke Turbo diesel engine.

dewwood

I also do not add anything except in extreme cold weather. The engine manufacturers spec these units to run on fuel that is available at the pumps so there is no need to use additives. I do know a lot of people however that do run additives.

Lynn1130

Low sulfur diesel came to pumps around 2006-2008 depending upon which country you are in. Most engines today with the exception of the most recent builds are not designed for low sulfur diesel they were designed for #1 diesel. Some lubricity has been added back in to try to counteract any damage but who knows if that helps. Fact is that some engines like the Chevy LB7 have a high rate of injector failure and some speculated that low lubrication, dirt and water are a major part of that problem.

MagnoliaTom

I use two stroke oil from Wally World. Use about 1 oz per gallon.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427482306.513222.jpg

Another great additive is biodiesel. Actually for lubricity, biodiesel is the best

Bobemuzzy

I am wondering what everyone is using for their diesel trucks as an additive to the diesel fuel. I have a 2006 F-350 Dually with the 6.0 Power Stroke Turbo diesel engine.
I use Opti-Lube Summer Blend and have used it for four years. It is a good lubracant for the injectors plus some what better fuel mile and other good things . I also used two cycle outboard motor oil for years until I found out about Opti-Lube. I hope this helps.:)

MagnoliaTom

And then again there are several studies that say that the low sulfur fuel used now lacks lubricants that can cause a number of issues not the least of which is injector wear and premature failure. This topic has been covered several times here and I posted the following in one of those but to save searching.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76.../177728-lubricity-additive-study-results.html

Sorry Lynn. I didn't check the link before I posted. That study pretty much tells you all you need to know.

Bryced15

I use Opti-Lube XPD with every fill up. I can tell that I get longer time between regens when adding it. Adds lubricity to the fuel also.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
I do not know anyone who does not use Stanadyne. I have been using it for about 5 years now and have never gelled up, had a fuel filter clog, or seen any water in the separator. When I am on a trip and only towing I also throw an ounce per gallon of ashless two stroke in it as well.

GMCaddic

I use Power service Diesel Kleen silver bottle summer white bottle winter. You can buy it at wally world.

pegmikef

I use the cetane booster from Ford and recommended to me. I know you can get cheaper stuff, but I figure the Ford stuff is made for their engines and I want it in my vehicle's service record in the event of warranty issues in the future.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
I am still experimenting on which product works best in my 2011. On my old 2004 I only used Stanadyne and it added about 1-2 mpg.
On my 2011, I used diesel Kleen for about 1,000 miles didn't think It was doing much, but then went on a long trip and pulled 24 mpg one way and 23.7 on the way home. Then at the recommendation of the Dodge dealer, I tried the Mopar. I saw nothing from this product and my mpg actually went down to 18.5 on a similar trip that I got 24 on diesel Kleen. Right now I am trying stanadyne and I am seeing an average of 20.5 short rural trips. Have not tried a long trip yet as I did with the other two products. Just a side note, my truck is deleted and I run a Smarty tuner and have a 6 speed manual, which helps in better mpg. With that said however, I got 19mpg off the dealer floor and continued for 20,000 miles plus...then the dealer flashed my truck and it went in the hole...14 mpg. The tuner has brought it back up.
I will heading to Big Springs next month to pick up a puppy and will use Stanadyne on the way and Diesel Kleen on the way back. Also note this was not towing....I only get 14 mpg towing my North Trail.

brianlajoie

So how do you know if the diesel fuel manufacturers are adding a lubricity agent to their fuel? Also, my truck is still under warranty and wonder if using an additive would void the warranty(?).

Jim.Allison

Anything you do can void your warranty but for only that system. It is a violation of federal law to infer that you can't use an aftermarket part or risk voiding your warranty. They cannot void a warranty for a oil pump because you put an additive in the fuel.

But why would you tell them in the first place? If they discovered damage to your motor and were able to point out to you that it was because you used an additive, then of course there would be a bone of contention, but most additive sellers guarantee that their product won't harm engines. They can do that because your vehicle manufacturer cannot prove that an oil or fuel additive harmed the motor, they can scare you, but not Bardall or STP or Lucas or any of the reputable manufacturers of additives.

However, RAM says don't use such additives, for two reasons. When you add an additive to the oil it no longer meets CES 20081, which is a specified oil requirement. As far as fuel additives, their claim is that fuel additives could mess up the soot cooker.

I doubt that any damage can come from the addition of oil or fuel additives, but without any real or proven evidence, why would someone pay 4 bucks for a bottle of magic potion that mysteriously releases 10% more energy from a gallon of diesel?

IMHO its all snake oil. With the exception of some of the specialized products that have a narrow and specific purpose or application.

Put your money into regular oil and filter changes, and forget about that other stuff. Your diesel motor will run at least 500,000 maybe up to 1,000,000 miles. What could you possibly hope to gain by using an additive. IMHO

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Jim:
How is it that the Dodge dealers sell and push their Mopar diesel fuel additive if it would void the warranty?
Not saying your wrong, but my dealer recommends it.

MTPockets

The Ford PM22a Cetane booster will not void your Ford warranty. Boosting your Cetane may it may not be of benefit, but it depends on the Cetane rating of the fuel you are putting in your truck.. Not all fuels will be the same Cetane rating at any given time, so it's my opinion adding the booster protects from getting any borderline fuel; even at the name brand stations. PS- 6.7 Some Ford forums claim Ford Diesel requires a minimum Cetane number of 45, but I can't find it in my manual.

Last edited:

Jim.Allison

I cant find any information about cetane for a Cummins, but Motorcraft is big on cetane additives. I wonder which cetane booster would work in the Cummins 6.7 to reduce carbon buildup on the EGR, the turbo and lower regen frequency? This seems like a worthwhile additive.

Jim.Allison

You misread/misunderstood my comment.

And its a silly premise that a MOPAR recommended product would void a warranty on a Mopar product when properly used.

To answer your question, if the warranty department turned down your warranty because you used Mopar diesel fuel conditioner, then you could call Mopar parts, and tell them that the MOPAR repair shop said that the Mopar fuel conditioner screwed up the motor. Then his people could talk to their people and work it out.

I did not indict additives that have specific purposes. I indicted the snake oils. But the RAM diesel supplement specifically states not to use fuel or oil additives. I also cannot find anything from Cummins concerning the need for any additives including cetane boosters.

I'm interested in cetane boosters, because I understand that it can limit soot, thereby protecting the EGR, and the turbo, along with some other components.

Jim:
How is it that the Dodge dealers sell and push their Mopar diesel fuel additive if it would void the warranty?
Not saying your wrong, but my dealer recommends it.

scottyb

We use the Motorcrat Cetane Booster in our company vehicles as well as personal vehicles. It is more to create a paper trail than to enhance performance. I don't see any performance advantages.