Diesel fuel availability

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
You guys are nutz! I LOVE THIS SITE!

I am color-blind so I have to read the labels at the pump and that saved me just recently as I have the 08' Duramax and the station had the old diesel fuel only. I had to think for a bit WHY (Still don't know) but it stated not for 07' or later engines!

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
For those that use an additive and for those that would like to know exactly what benefit is derived from using one. Here is a blind study that was done with the different additves that are on the market.
Sulfur in diesel fuel serves the exact same purpose that lead in leaded gasoline served. When the government mandated that the oil companies had to reduce the sulfur level in deisel those of us that have older trucks really need to add lubricant to our fuel, if not we run the risk of wearing our engines out much sooner than we would like to. Check the results on this study, I think most will be surprised. I believe this was posted on another thread here, but not sure where it is.
Fred

Attachments

• Copy of Diesel fuel additive version 3[1].pdf
    130.7 KB · Views: 25

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
You guys are nutz! I LOVE THIS SITE!

I am color-blind so I have to read the labels at the pump and that saved me just recently as I have the 08' Duramax and the station had the old diesel fuel only. I had to think for a bit WHY (Still don't know) but it stated not for 07' or later engines!

Please don't confuse me with those people from from Va. and Pa. They have special needs!;):D

As far as LSD and ULSD goes, I was heavily involved in trucking when the LSD came out. We were all very concerned about what what LSD would do to the fuel systems. We actually ran a couple tests over a period of two years on six different pieces of power for Cummins. There were a few minor instances of o-ring leaks but the bottom line was, SD and LSD, there were no signifacant issues. The ULSD came out after I got out of the Biz, but the little I have read about, it seems maybe not the mountain people make it out top be.

Remember, the low sulfer was developed for on road use and emissions. Just dont get caught with the wrong color diesel. They will stick it to you.

wdk450

Diesel Fuel Additives

Gang:
Here in Sacramento Chevron has been adding Techron-D in their Diesel fuel. Anybody heard any test data on that?

jpjulian

We recently returned from a trip to South Dakota and Nebraska. Stopped at several Cenex stations which did not have ULSD. There is a Wal-Mart station and a Speedway near home which have LSD and ULSD both. I've been told by Ford as little as one tank of the wrong fuel will hurt the emissions system and not be covered under warranty. As far as using the big truck pumps, the only locations we have been unable to use them was in Indiana where on the turnpike they have "exempt" pumps for those who pay motor fuel taxes through the IFTA program. The other issue we have is biodiesel blends. Ford only authorizes up to a 5% biodiesel blend. Most of the labels at the pumps I've seen locally and around the country say the biodiesel is in concentrations from 5-20%. I throw in some Diesel Kleen when the blend is unknown. Don't know if helps or not. Been reading some new engines on the horizon will also use urea injection to reduce NOX emmisions even further.