Diesel lower than Gas

MCTalley

Here in California, gas is currently more expensive than diesel. Something to do with refineries being offline or something. Diesel around $3.09, gas is $3.23 or more.

8amps

Palm Desert (Palm Springs area) $2.91 yesterday
Tonopah, AZ $2.79 today
We are on our way to Tucson Escapees Rally
Gas buddy showed $2.47 in Phoenix but we didn't want to mess with that since we have the trailer hooked up.

DocFather

Southern Indiana (I-64 exit 205) $2.75 for Diesel, up from $2.69 for the last few months. Regular unleaded $2.15 (exit 105) up from $1.91 for weeks.

Sometimes people post the "sign price" on Gas Buddy not realizing that is the tax exempt truckers price.

Does anyone have any luck buying DEF at the truck plazas for the price the truckers pay?

MCTalley

I always fill my DEF at truck stops now. Especially once I bought the magnetic collar you need to make the DEF nozzle work in a pickup truck. Ask at the fuel counter and they will loan you one or sell you one (mine was $30 at Love's).

8amps

Ok, I must ask... may be a couple of stupid questions. I have seen the banks of DEF at truck stops but is there a difference between the Diesel Exhaust Fluid and Diesel #2? Or is the different name just to keep the riff raff (and those of us without magnetic collars) out? Also, the link above shows a ebay listing for filing a reusable container. Can you just pump it right into your tank?

MTPockets

Ok, I must ask... may be a couple of stupid questions. I have seen the banks of DEF at truck stops but is there a difference between the Diesel Exhaust Fluid and Diesel #2? Or is the different name just to keep the riff raff (and those of us without magnetic collars) out? Also, the link above shows a ebay listing for filing a reusable container. Can you just pump it right into your tank?
Mary, diesel #2 is the fuel for the fuel tank. DEF is Diesel Exhaust Fluid which newer pickup trucks and large trucks must have to clean exhaust emissions. Mixing the two would ruin the engine. DEF goes into a separate, smaller tank. Mine for example is 5 gallons about every 5000 miles, which varies depending on load.

danemayer

I just filled up at Love's in Amarillo. After filling up with Diesel, I went to add DEF. I needed to borrow the magnetic collar from the cashier. Never needed this at Pilot/Flying J.

The mag device is supposed to prevent accidentally pumping DEF into the fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

avvidclif

Deisel is pretty cheap here but I've never seen it lower than gas. Always almost a $1.00 higher.

Go back and look. Until they added the extra refining for Low Sulphur and ULSD it was always cheaper than gas, usually 50 cents or so depending on gas price.

pegmikef

Diesel at Sam's Club here in San Angelo is $2.359 and $2.399 across the street at Murphy's (Walmart).

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Gas is going down again . . .

Just paid $2.04.9 a gallon for regluar unleaded . . . same station was $2.09.9 the day before!

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Almost. Here in Billings MT at Sams Club diesel is $2.31 while gas is $2.19. This time last year it was $3.99 in Missoula.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

avvidclif

Found 2 stations fighting it out last weekend in Greenville, Tx. A Shell was at 2.35 for gas and 2.33 for diesel. The Exxon across the road was 2.25 for diesel and 2.23 for gas. The rest of the stations I saw were "normal" 2.35 for gas and 2.49 for diesel. First time I've seen diesel lower than gas in a long time.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Almost. Here in Billings MT at Sams Club diesel is $2.31 while gas is $2.19. This time last year it was $3.99 in Missoula.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bring me back 40-50 gallons. I'll pick it up in September.
Thanks

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Regular unleaded is $2.20.9 per gallon at the corner station by our house . . .

jayc

Legendary Member
I bought about 90 gallons at the local Buccee's for $2.279 a gallon. I hope the prices stay down until we leave for Goshen!