Diesel Search

Dave

Traveling Two
Anyone know if there is there a used truck dealer somewhere/anywhere that resells trucks formally used by campers towing campers? These trucks, I would think, would have been well maintained by former owners, already setup to pull a camper and ready to go. I've been looking locally, SC and Va, for a truck I want but haven't found a thing. I even looked at the Daytonna Auto Mall website, saying they have over 6,000 vehicles, and they didn't have a one ton Chevy (at least their website didn't list one).
Has anyone gotten pricing for a 2011 Chevy 3500HD Diesel dually? I have a feeling this might be out of my price range.
Take care and be careful!!

caissiel

Just my 2 cent worth but I bought my truck from a least return and it is a great truck, It had been used loaded as a service truck for 2 years and all maintenance had been done by the supplier.

The truck was never used for towing, and it was already setup with the best alarm system. I added my own options that Ford charges 10s thousand $ and now have a great towing truck for 1/3 the price of a new truck.

I feel that trucks used for 5th wheeling are being used at very severe services and you need to be knowledgable about the towing procedures. I once talk to a previous owner that trades in every 2/3 years and realy don't care about maintaining the truck so I would stay away from one of that truck owned by a typical owner.

As a used truck, diesels need to be driven hard and often, a nice new looking truck is not exactly a good mechanically fit vehicle, my truck has never needed a EGR valve cleanup, my friends truck that he bought for twice as much as I and 1/2 the mileage, has had numerous EGR maintenance, everytime he drives south and come back maintenance has been required.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Anyone know if there is there a used truck dealer somewhere/anywhere that resells trucks formally used by campers towing campers? These trucks, I would think, would have been well maintained by former owners, already setup to pull a camper and ready to go. I've been looking locally, SC and Va, for a truck I want but haven't found a thing. I even looked at the Daytonna Auto Mall website, saying they have over 6,000 vehicles, and they didn't have a one ton Chevy (at least their website didn't list one).
Has anyone gotten pricing for a 2011 Chevy 3500HD Diesel dually? I have a feeling this might be out of my price range.
Take care and be careful!!

You can go to their website (or GMC's) and "build" one, but for some reason, it won't put in the diesel option. Figure that, with the Allison tranny, adds something like $8500 to the price. At least that was true for the 2009 model. MSRP on my 2009 was just over $54K. Look for rebates, or get a relative with GM affiliation (employee, retiree) to get you an authorization number and the price will be lower.

http://www.gmc.com/sierra/3500/index.jsp

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
John, right now I dont know if any Chevy/GMC dealer is giving any good deals on 2010 or 2011 1tns. My guess a well loaded 2011 1tn will be in the $55-60K range.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
On the GMC site, they're advertising 0% for 72 months, or $5000 cash back on select 2010 3500HD's.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
John, last week our dealer had 1 2010 3500HD. Asked about it and was told that no one is dealing on them. Maybe thats just here. 1st I have heard of a 5K rebate. I work for a Chevy dealer.

SmokeyBare

When we were in Texas this winter. It sure looked like Texas was Truck Heaven ! Might want to do a search in Texas. Lots of folks using RV's down there.

Marv

trvlrerik

When I started looking for a truck I got lucky and found a truck used as a light duty hauler for a "hotshot" delivery service. It was set up to tow pull trailers, fifth wheels and gooseneck trailers. It was 9 months old and had 54k miles on it. You might try to locate a light hauler service at a load brokers office. Load brokers can be found around many major truckstops or shipping hubs.

I have had no problems at all with my truck and maintanance records came with it, showing it was maintained at a higher level than most people could afford to do.

jayc

Legendary Member
You might check here. You can set your search criteria, make, model etc. then check your area or an area where you will be.

Wharton

If you interested in an MDT/HDT go to the Escapees Discussion Forum. They have both a HDT and a MDT BOF with rigs for sale.

loafer

Dave
there is a website called truck paper.com they have trucks listed all over the US and you can narrow it down by model and brand.
It might help you
regards bill

Sundance_kid

There are a lot of good diesels out there that haven't hardly towed anything. My 2001 has 79,000+ and rarely leaves the drive that it doesn't have 12,000 lbs behind it. It's a great truck but has not been babied much.