Direct TV or Dish Network

Treeban

Caliber Senior Owner
We use Dish Network & have had no problems. To get local programming, we call Dish, ask them to change our "service address." (I use the campground address) & then local channels are received. Changing the service address however, does mean that the "local" channels at home are no longer available. We change it back to our home address either when we leave the campground or when we get back home.
We use the Vu Cube for antenna & find it extremely easy to use, finding the satellites is no problem, I don't cuss anymore & that makes the wife happy.

Treeban
Steve & Lynda
Moroni, Utah

gonervn

Bill & Sallie
I use Direct and get local channels, but that needs defined. They are not really local but network and they come out of New York. They call them local channels.

mmomega

AnyTimer
We also use DirecTV, 3 HD boxes in the house 2 in the trailer and it's only an extra $5/box for the RV. We had the roof mounted, no fuss, turn on the TV and have a signal dish but it doesn't work so great when you happen to post up near some tall trees so we just ordered the VuCube 2000 from the dealer today, should be in tomorrow.

beasleyrl

As far as local channels, you can probably catch them on the Antenna, but with DirectTV, you can get your local channels (where you live) wherever you are. When I go to Florida this winter, I will keep my TN local channel's to keep up with what's going on. I would anticipate that if you wanted to switch, you could simply call direct TV and have them repoint you to a local channel in the area you are at.

Don't count on your local channels being available everywhere you travel unless you live in NY or LA. These are the only true national networks provided to you via Directv as long as you get the DNS (Distant Network Services) waiver. Without the waiver, it is technically illegal (i.e. believe it or not -- a copyright violation) for Directv or Dish to allow you to receive competing locals. For all other locals (outside of NY/LA), Directv uses a technology called spot beams which allows them to divide up the country and provides them effectively more channels using the same satellite. In my case, I get the Washington DC locals (but also subscribe to DNS for NY with the waiver). My DC locals are only broadcast in the NE part of the US. From what I've experienced, this spot beam goes about to the NC/VA line then west to VA/WV then all the way up towards Maine. As long as I stay in that area, I do get my locals wherever I am. Outside of that, I have to rely on DNS (for example when I travel to SC or FL). My understanding is as of this past February, Dish does not provide DNS services so once you travel outside of your home spot beam, you will no longer get any network services unless you pick them up with an over the air antenna (and yes, their tuner is nicely integrated for this). However, Dish seems to have caught on recently with their RV initiative and I've been told at several of the shows recently, that they will have DNS later this Spring. Hope that is true. I'd love Directv to have a little more competition!