Dirty Question

Rodbuster

Good morning,
My question has to do with draining or dumping the black holding tank.
When I picked up my Key Largo last week the unit came with an inexpensive hose. It was suggested to me that I upgrade to a better system.

My question to you people is, what do you suggest? Please include in your answer "all" the hardware and fittings that I might need.
The manufacturer and where I could purchase these items would be helpful also.
One last thing...are there any tips or tricks to perform this chore?

Once again, I thank you in advance for your help.
Rodbuster

jbeletti

There are many sewer hose brands and levels of quality to choose from. From your comment, you are not looking for the lowest end, as you already got that in your dealer's thank you package :)

You will get many great answers to your thread. I'll tell you what I use. It's not inexpensive but it is very good.

I use the Polychute system (link). I also have the extension hose. I use that maybe twice a year. These two items are all I use. If I were to use any additional items, it might be one of those expandable support systems that keep the hose off the ground and sloped toward the sewer connection at the campground. I carry one, I just never did it out :)

Best of luck,

Jim

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
There are many hose preferences (I like the Rhino), but I believe most folks will tell you to definitely get a clear elbow (30-45 degrees) to atteach at the outlet connector to see what's coming out the drains. Also, Valtera makes a valve that can be screwed on at the outlet. I find it invaluable to prevent accidents from "materials that may have come down the drain lines during travel.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Rodbuster, I use a Rhinoflex CLICK HERE I also have the extension that's available. I also use a 45 degree clear adapter. This allows you to actually see when you've done a good flushing of the tank. The Rhinoflex won't fit into the basic hose carrying device so I keep ALL of our sanitation goodies in a tote. We carry a rubber donut for those places that don't have threaded connections.

jbeletti

... Also, Valtera makes a valve that can be screwed on at the outlet...

And do get the Valterra brand gate valve, not another brand. I got a non-Valterra version from an RV dealer early this year and it leaks a bit where it spins on and it just doesn't fit on as tightly as Valterra. I'll use it until I break it or loose it :) But I agree with Gus, a gate valve at the sewer outlet is a great thing to have.

Jim

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Like Jim said a good sewer hose and an extension hose. You will need a good water hose and a good water pressure regulator. I have several hoses in differing lengths. THE RV WATER FILTER STORE has an assortment of good quallity items.
You will also need adaptors for you power. There are times that sites only have 30 amp hookups. You will need to reduce your 50 amp to 30 amp. Any RV dealer should have that stuff. A surge protector of some sort is in order as well. Surge Guard and Progressive Industries come to mind.
Then there are wheel chocks.
After you hang around the campground for a while you will find all kinds of stuff that you just gotta have.
114.gif

Peace
Dave

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
I agree with the suggestion of using Camco's Rhino line, but up the ante. They now make a Rhino Extreme. They are as good as the Rhino, with even better abrasion resistance. They are the most expensive sewer hose we sell and we can't keep them in stock. The best part of the deal is that they are MADE IN THE USA! (so are their water hoses and many of their plastic products)

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I have also graduated to the RhinoFlex. I like that it holds its shape when you extend and position it and doesn't flop around like a snake with epilepsy. I've got the basic 15' section, a 10' extension, and two 5' extensions. Jim B got me scared about running short at our first rally (this one), so I've got enough to dump in the next county. I also attach a clear extension, usually my DrainKing back flusher and a twist-on valve to the sewer connection. I put a 15' Slunky support under the hose, but am considering getting a 20' one. At our seasonal site, I've never needed more than the 15' section to connect since the sewer port is about in the middle of the rig.

The photos are of our previous site. The one we've relocated to has the pedestal and sewer nearer each other, at the center of the site. So the hose and water line are almost straight out from the UDC. It did make for a moment of angst after I was all parked and cozy and ran the power cord. Just enough. When we come back from the rally, I plan to position a little further forward on the site.

View attachment 13340View attachment 13341

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
No matter what drain hose you get....install the Valterra gate valve on the outlet. I would also suggest "blue glue" it on. I lost one on a trip. Best insurance against poopy shoes. Make sure that you get a clear elbow so you can see if the tank is clean.

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
I went to the Sewer Solutions available from CW at around $129.99. It is small and has a built in macerator that is powered by water pressure. It takes me about the same time as the larger 3" hoses to dump. Easy to use, I also have the Valterra adapter. The sewer solutions has a clear adapter so that you can also see what is going on.

porthole

Retired
The Rhinoflex won't fit into the basic hose carrying device so I keep ALL of our sanitation goodies in a tote.

Cut the "wings" off. I used a pair of end cutter wire cutters. This left just enough of a nub to still have something to grab and get a good grip.

JohnDar

Fortunately, on my version of the BH3670, there is a sewer hose storage compartment. I can fit the 15' and 10' sections in it, no problem. The two 5' extensions go in a tote, if I ever need them.

porthole

Retired
I use the Polychute system (link). I also have the extension hose. I use that maybe twice a year. These two items are all I use.

Jim have you run into any campgrounds that require a screw in connection (no rubber donuts)?

From what I could tell on the video the dump end doesn'y use screw thread, just ridges to grab the rubber adapter.

JohnDar

Interesting question. Just what kind of connections do they have at the Rally? I don't know if I still have a rubber donut, since the RhinoFlex has a screw end that works with my campground sewer.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We are like Jim B and use the PolyChute sewer hose. Best one we ever bought and will be the last one we will ever need to buy.

Rhinoflex here! A friend of our gave us a clear attachment for the outlet. I first thought why do I want to look at it? It is great for checking to see if you need to flush the black tank. My words of wisdom? Dump the black tank first then the greys to wash out the hose!

JohnDar

It's also good to be able to see if the flow stops while you're flushing the tank. When it does, I give it a minute or so and if it doesn't start flowing again, I connect the back flush hose to the sewer fitting and get violent with it.