Disabling Outside Landing Gear Toggle (Extract/Retract) on Bighorn 3610...on purpose

Prairiedog

OK, so here's an interesting question (or perhaps a dumb one):

"What's the best way to temporarily disable my external (front) landing gear switch?" While I'm away from the rig, both at work and on vacation, we have a number of kids who play around the park. I'm afraid that one day, during an errant game of hide and seek or something, a kid is going to activate that switch and -- at best -- un-level the rig and -- at worst -- hurt him/herself and the rig.

So, any idea how to safely do this without affecting the current leveling of the 5er? I'm sure there are a number of ways to accomplish this task, but I want to make sure I can "undo" this precaution easily for later usage. I also want to make sure I don't do anything to the Level Up system nor anything that will throw the system out of balance. I thought about trying to find a cover for the switch, but that would be a last resort trying to find one that locks.

My thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Rob
The Prairiedog

jimtoo

Hi Rob,

Not sure, but there may be a fuse on the main wire to the switch in the front compartment, if so pull the fuse out. If nothing there, then near battery you should see a row of small circuit breakers.. you might locate which one feeds the legs and install a good switch in the locked compartment or disconnect a wire.

Hopefully someone with a new unit like yours will jump in soon.

Jim M

donr827

The front switch for our Bighorn front landing gear is covered with a cover with a thumb plastic cover. Never had anyone mess with it.
Don

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
I appears the new units are coming through without covers for the front EXTEND/RETRACT switch. Prairiedog has a good question and concern. Somthing I have talked about around the campfire with no real solution to protect switch from wondering curious fingers. Children and adults both.

Garypowell

I don't ever leave my rig without disconnecting the battery. With the 2008 I removed a battery wire. With the 2013 I flip the battery switch and everything goes dead.

Another thing I do is usually leave the unit nose down. This way no one can just back up to it and pull it away without some work.

Last edited:

hoefler

At the pump, find the small red wire that goes to the switch, install a toggle switch in this wire. Flip it off and the landing gear switch is dead.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Thanks hoefler for a quick and easy solution to our concerns about curious fingers. D/C the batteries is not an option when staying in your coach as is lowering the front.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We've never had anyone mess with the rig at our CG, but with the Ground Control system you need the remote controller to operate them, even if you turn on the power switch in front. And the system powers off if it's not in use.

But for other systems, the kill switch is a good idea, if you have concerns.

GOTTOYS

I wired in my own battery cut-off switch as my trailer didn't come with one. It kills the 12 volt electric power to everything when shut-off. You could also just pull the fuse or put in an inline switch if you leave your rig powered up and don't want to kill all the 12 volt power....Don

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
If you turn off the battery disconnect you will not have the issue. Doing that will also stop any drains on the battery.

I installed a relay & toggle switch to kill my front jacks.
I installed it in the battery/hydraulic compartment which can be locked.
I also installed a whole trailer kill switch in the same compartment.
Same type of switch that is used to kill power on a race car, the operating handle is removable.
All material to do these jobs is available at your local auto parts store.

Hockster.

brianharrison

Installing a small switch on the power feed to the landing gear switch is the simplest solution for ease of use. There is also a fuse inline at my pump that I remove (behind my locked front storage door) that I have removed to disable all hydraulics.

Using the main battery disconnect also disables all 12V, including the 12V to the fridge, furnace, etc that needs power while the unit is being lived in......and you are away for work.

Hope this helps,
Brian

Prairiedog

Everyone,

THANK YOU for all the great responses! I tell everyone in our campground what an incredible forum this is. It never disappoints.

I just went out there to check and the switch is a bit more integrated into the wiring than I thought it would be, but I can still separate the red wire and put a toggle on it if that's the best solution. I probably should have mentioned that I only leave for a few days so I don't like to shut everything down if I don't have to...meaning I don't disengage the battery and I leave it plugged in (50amp) whenever possible Makes it a bit easier when I come back late.

One more thing (and I don't want to test this) -- if the LEVEL-UP is off, does that front jack switch still work? I've never tried using the front jacks without the L-U on (I'm not sure why now), but I didn't consider this option? Anyone?

Again, my thanks for all the responses and advice. Heartland owners are truly second to none. My thanks! Rob

VKTalley

Everyone,

THANK YOU for all the great responses! I tell everyone in our campground what an incredible forum this is. It never disappoints.

I just went out there to check and the switch is a bit more integrated into the wiring than I thought it would be, but I can still separate the red wire and put a toggle on it if that's the best solution. I probably should have mentioned that I only leave for a few days so I don't like to shut everything down if I don't have to...meaning I don't disengage the battery and I leave it plugged in (50amp) whenever possible Makes it a bit easier when I come back late.

One more thing (and I don't want to test this) -- if the LEVEL-UP is off, does that front jack switch still work? I've never tried using the front jacks without the L-U on (I'm not sure why now), but I didn't consider this option? Anyone?

Again, my thanks for all the responses and advice. Heartland owners are truly second to none. My thanks! Rob

Hi Rob, I am not sure on all your questions but that has been a concern of mine too...of someone playing with the outside leveling switch though we have not had anyone mess with it. But to answer your question about the switch and the Level-Up system, on my BC 3690, the switch does still work even with the Level-Up system off. Ours was added to the our coach in June at the National Rally, as we bought our unit off of a Dealer's lot (September, last year), instead of ordering and waiting. :)

Prairiedog

Thanks for the info Val -- really like the blog, by the way. ;-)

OK, just as a quick update for the thread -- unplugged the power wire and that seems to be a good temp solution. Will do the toggle switch for a long term solution, but I agree with you Val in that it seems like a surprising safety hazard. I'm sure they'll make the correction once someone brings it up.

Thanks again to everyone for the advice.
Rob

VKTalley

Thanks for the info Val -- really like the blog, by the way. ;-)

OK, just as a quick update for the thread -- unplugged the power wire and that seems to be a good temp solution. Will do the toggle switch for a long term solution, but I agree with you Val in that it seems like a surprising safety hazard. I'm sure they'll make the correction once someone brings it up.

Thanks again to everyone for the advice.
Rob

You're welcome, Rob! Glad you are enjoying the blog. Looks like we will be back in AL for a longer stay (finally) come mid to late January. Will you still be in the area?

JanAndBill

Hi Rob, I know this is off topic, but see so few from Alabama posting on here, just had to ask what part of the state you are in?

yport

I don't ever leave my rig without disconnecting the battery. With the 2008 I removed a battery wire. With the 2013 I flip the battery switch and everything goes dead.

Another thing I do is usually leave the unit nose down. This way no one can just back up to it and pull it away without some work.

On that note I would be sure to invest in a king pin lock...very cheap insurance. At a Florida park some no-gooders pulled up to a 5th wheel and hook it up to haul away. When a suspicious neighbor asked what's going on, the no-gooders replied "not to worry, your neighbors just bought a nice new unit which will be delivered shortly." The rig was found the next town over pretty well stripped! You know how fast someone can hook up and go .... a king pin lock can be had for $20 +-.

Westwind

Now we know why some type of switch in a locked area such as the hydraulic pump compartment which can be locked is a good idea, it will act as a deterrent and slow down the theft of a fifth wheel. I would be torn weather to bud in like the gentleman in the campground did or mine my own business.
When you stay 3 -4 months in a campground or resort you hopefully make friends with your neighbors but sometimes it's just a short stay.
People who steal other folks property are getting bolder and bolder, stripping things like recreational vehicles can be profitable I guess.

Prairiedog

Hi Rob, I know this is off topic, but see so few from Alabama posting on here, just had to ask what part of the state you are in?
Jan and Bill -- I'm in Montgomery and will be for a while as a full-timer.

You're welcome, Rob! Glad you are enjoying the blog. Looks like we will be back in AL for a longer stay (finally) come mid to late January. Will you still be in the area?
Val - See above...not going anywhere for a while. Hoping the rig keeps up its end of the bargain and stays healthy. Glad to hear y'all are heading back.