Dish bent me over - PROBLEM RESOLVED

Lou_and_Bette

On 30 May, had to do software update while in Pueblo, CO. Watched TV on satellite all week. Monday, 6 June, moved to Cortez, CO and tried to setup satellite system without success. After multiple calls and emails to Dish tech support and Winegard tech support, finally lady tells me "Dish changed the software on their satellites and your Winegard Carryout antenna will no longer work" and only solution is to buy a new antenna. What a crock of black tank material this is. So, if you have an older Winegard 1518 it may stop working next time you change locations. I don't believe all 1518's are affected because they needed my serial number to positively state mine wouldn't work. Winegard has refurbished 1518 for $350 (price I paid new) plus s&h that would work but they can't refurbish mine

rxbristol

Re: Dish bent me over

Had the same thing happen with my Flex King, but they (Flex King) provided me with the updated firmware and install directions via my email. I downloaded it to a USB drive, hooked it up to the circuit board and it self-installed.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

We've had our GM1518 dome for a few years and haven't had any problems.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

Direct TV just bent me over again . . . raising the price yet another $10 a month unannounced! :mad:

I'm going to call them tomorrow and ask them to at least buy me some flowers, take me out to dinner, or at the very least give me a ki$$ next time they want me to bend over for them! :p

Abear79

That's why I dropped them last year and went with hulu. That's what I told my wife, Im tired of getting 10 dollared to death.

RoadJunkie

You can run, but you can't hide. Hulu, NetFlix, etc., will all raise their prices. No one can stop the tide.

Abear79

You can run, but you can't hide. Hulu, NetFlix, etc., will all raise their prices. No one can stop the tide.

You are right. But Got the DTV bill in one month and it was over 200 for everything I had. If I remember right, that package was around 120 when I first got it. Hulu at 12 bucks a month is way better. I was able to splurge a little and go commercial free. lol

RoadJunkie

By the way, I wrote the OP with details of my discussion with Dish regarding the Carryout antenna and any changes Dish may have made that would eliminate functionality. My technical support agent could not find any reference in their database that identified this problem. Furthermore, she stated that the Carryout technology is a significant source of revenue and could not imagine making changes that would reduce that revenue. I am activating my system on Saturday, so guess I will see if I have the problem identified by the OP.

Lou_and_Bette

We've had our GM1518 dome for a few years and haven't had any problems.

John, I was told that my serial number showed mine had been made in 2012 and, per Winegard, "anything made before 2013" was FUBARED. The initial options I was given by Winegard were; get Direct, buy different antenna which "we will sell to you at a discount." Every time I speak to someone at Dish or Winegard, I am given the name of a different model antenna that will work. However, none of them have the two ports, and they only include a 25 foot cable instead of the 50 footer that came with my current antenna. No problems yet but, wait till you change locations. Mine worked on Sunday and not on Monday after location change. Good luck with yours. And , of course this couldn't happen when we were in Pueblo, CO which has a Camping World to replace the boat anchor I now have, it had to happen when I won't be near to a store I can get a new one.

Lou_and_Bette

By the way, I wrote the OP with details of my discussion with Dish regarding the Carryout antenna and any changes Dish may have made that would eliminate functionality. My technical support agent could not find any reference in their database that identified this problem. Furthermore, she stated that the Carryout technology is a significant source of revenue and could not imagine making changes that would reduce that revenue. I am activating my system on Saturday, so guess I will see if I have the problem identified by the OP.

RJ, replied to your PM. for everyone else's edification, I spoke to at least 6 people at Dish support and 3 people at Winegard support, not including several email/live chats with both companies before I was told the happy news by someone at Winegard. I called Dish right away and wanted to know 1 - if it was true and 2 - if it was true, why wasn't I told before jumping through all the hoops. Young Lady put me on hold to check with her supervisor and returned with a confirmation that my antenna was "toast," and she didn't know why no one knew that there at Dish. Winegard was the one who said they are loosing "millions" because of this change. Everyone seems to be "loosing money" but it seems to me the only ones out are us consumers! By the way, all Carryouts are not affected, only older 1518's

Lou_and_Bette

Ok, enough ranting. I have the VIP211k receiver and it looks like several Winegard antennas will work. There is the G2+ at $600, the Pathway X1 at $400, Pathway x2 at $450, and the Playmaker at $300. Anyone have any of these, any other recommendations?

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)

So just to be clear, does this apply only to the Winguard brand antennas? I assume this does not affect Tailgater users.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders

I now have a G2 and love it! It is much faster to connect and not as apt to lose signal in rainstorms.

rjr6150

So just to be clear, does this apply only to the Winguard brand antennas? I assume this does not affect Tailgater users.

Gus deepens on your serial number and model. I had a VQube 2000 unable to update thought mine was purchased in 08. Went with the new Winegard G2+ and love it. Only drawback is 25' cable. Did speak with tech support at Winegard this was done due to loss of signal from the power inserted. He did say many have been able to get by though using a high grade 35' cable.

Bones

Honestly I think most of this stuff will have consumers to a point where they will just cut it all off. Eventually they will reach the saturation point of price vs entertainment vs use. At the moment over the air is still free.

RoadJunkie

Thanks for the heads up, Lou. You may have saved me a lot of time talking to support techs if my antenna mysteriously doesn't work.

Rollin_Free

Direct TV just bent me over again . . . raising the price yet another $10 a month unannounced! :mad:

I'm going to call them tomorrow and ask them to at least buy me some flowers, take me out to dinner, or at the very least give me a ki$$ next time they want me to bend over for them! :p

X2-X2. And they always seem to figure out a way to make the consumer pay the bill. OTH is way cheaper and I've been OTH for over 20 years at my house. I go to the library and rent new release movies for .50/day.

I recently purchased a King Jack to put on my roof. Since I don't have cable or dish at the house I'm going to stick to OTH and DVD rentals for the 5er.

danemayer

Directv, Dish, other satellite and cable TV providers are continually raising prices because the content providers are demanding more money every time their agreements come up for renewal. You've no doubt seen warnings that such and such programming will not be available after this date because Dish/Directv/others refuse to pay us what we're worth.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

X2-X2. And they always seem to figure out a way to make the consumer pay the bill. OTH is way cheaper and I've been OTH for over 20 years at my house. I go to the library and rent new release movies for .50/day.

I recently purchased a King Jack to put on my roof. Since I don't have cable or dish at the house I'm going to stick to OTH and DVD rentals for the 5er.

Yup!

The King/Jack TV antenna rocks!

We have a King/Jack antenna on our Prowler (moved it over from our previous Trail Runner) and I've been thinking about buying another one and putting it up on the roof of our house!

I still have our old pre-HD roof antenna and mast up in the rafters of the garage and have been seriously thinking about putting it back up!

Problem is . . . we are hooked on some of those cable/sat TV shows now that you can't get over the air!

Like 'Flippin RV's' on Direct TV channel 326 . . . love that show (sometimes makes me wish we still had our old 1978 Coachman TT to have them redo)!

Plus . . . that Genie DVR is loaded with movies and TV shows that we need to catch up on . . .

- - - Updated - - -

Directv, Dish, other satellite and cable TV providers are continually raising prices because the content providers are demanding more money every time their agreements come up for renewal. You've no doubt seen warnings that such and such programming will not be available after this date because Dish/Directv/others refuse to pay us what we're worth.

Yup!

I'm watching 'Walker, Texas Ranger' right now this very minute on WGN Chicago, and there is a warning running on the bottom of the screen right now advising Dish subscribers that they are about to loose WGN if they don't call Dish and demand that Dish keep WGN!

Even though we have Direct TV . . . I thank the lucky stars above that my family members bought me the entire DVD set of 'Walker, Texas Ranger' for Christmas a few years back in case this ever happens to us! :p

If I don't get my daily doses of 'Walker, Texas Ranger' . . . I get the DT's! :rolleyes: :eek: :cool: