Dish bent me over - PROBLEM RESOLVED

SNOKING

Re: Dish bent me over

This only takes me 10 minutes of so to hook up and point. If I was going to have a self pointing system it would be a Traveler II on the roof and I would still carry this along for times that trees blocked the roof antenna. Full HD on one coax from the SWM LNB. Whole Home DVR across the SWM system. I put the SWM splitter on the back side of the UDC coax connections and the power inserted is at the living room TV. I am sure that Dish can be handle in a similar fashion for low bucks. Why have SD TV on a modern HD flat screen.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

If we were full-timing, we might consider a sat option for the RV.

But since we use our Prowler maybe six weeks total out of the whole year . . .

If we can't get it over the air or with RV park cable . . . then I carry about 150 DVD's and a 1TB hard drive with about 500 movies and several seasons of many TV shows, plus I have 'Rabbit TV' for internet usage.

busted2341

- - - Updated - - -

So if I understand the thread, my 2010 GM-1518 should not be working due to dish software update. I have had some location problems, but that was with HD channels and locals only. When I had the HD problem, it took 2 hours on the frst call to have them have me call Wingard to have Wingard tell me my anntenne was fine. I called back Dish and got someone in Arizona this time. About an hour later I was up and running with no problems. He never mentioned an update or anything like that. Since February we have traveled from texas to the Keys through Marylannd and back through Tennesee with (knock on wood) no problems. I hope it was a specific model number only.

Rollin_Free

Directv, Dish, other satellite and cable TV providers are continually raising prices because the content providers are demanding more money every time their agreements come up for renewal. You've no doubt seen warnings that such and such programming will not be available after this date because Dish/Directv/others refuse to pay us what we're worth.

And the best part is 6-8 months later there's a new package available that can add some premium channels to your subscription (valued at 49.95) for only a $10 adjustment to your bill. It's just a sneaky way for them to openly increase subscription pricing to maintain or increase their bottom line profits.

JohnD

And the best part is 6-8 months later there's a new package available that can add some premium channels to your subscription (valued at 49.95) for only a $10 adjustment to your bill. It's just a sneaky way for them to openly increase subscription pricing to maintain or increase their bottom line profits.

Yup!

When I called them (Direct TV) a few months back, they said the only thing they could do was to lower my package to the next lower level . . .

Which ironically dropped all of the channels that we watched on a regular basis (ie.- every day)!

In otherwords . . . they know what you watch, and when you ask them for a discount, they tell you that you will loose all of the channels that you regularly watch!

Rollin_Free

If we were full-timing, we might consider a sat option for the RV.

But since we use our Prowler maybe six weeks total out of the whole year . . .

If we can't get it over the air or with RV park cable . . . then I carry about 150 DVD's and a 1TB hard drive with about 500 movies and several seasons of many TV shows, plus I have 'Rabbit TV' for internet usage.

I think you should stay with your current process because it seems to be working. You can always buy more upgrades or stay one day longer on your trips.

Lou_and_Bette

- - - Updated - - -

So if I understand the thread, my 2010 GM-1518 should not be working due to dish software update. I have had some location problems, but that was with HD channels and locals only. When I had the HD problem, it took 2 hours on the frst call to have them have me call Wingard to have Wingard tell me my anntenne was fine. I called back Dish and got someone in Arizona this time. About an hour later I was up and running with no problems. He never mentioned an update or anything like that. Since February we have traveled from texas to the Keys through Marylannd and back through Tennesee with (knock on wood) no problems. I hope it was a specific model number only.

Frank, I don't know when you moved last but, in my case, my antenna worked on Sunday (5 days ago) and when I changed location on Monday (3 days ago) it didn't work. I have now been told by technicians from both Dish and Winegard that only Winegard antennas made after 2013 can adapt to the change. Hopefully yours will fall into a crack and keep working for you. However, if you set up in a new location and you are unable to "acquire signal" you'll be able to save yourself a lot of frustration because of this thread. As for me, new King Tailgater VQ4500 should arrive tomorrow. One day shipping from Amazon for $350 plus $20 shipping. Automatic, comes with 2 ports, and a 50 foot cable. Done with Winegard and their, IMHO, outstandingly poor customer support.

JohnD

Get yourselves a King/Jack antenna for less than $50 at Camping World . . .

And just about anywhere in the US of A . . . you should be able to pull in any local channels!

With the Batwing from the factory I pulled in maybe 40 channels in my side yard . . . with the King/Jack I pull in over 80 channels in my side yard!

JackTVup-IMG_3935.jpg JackTVup-IMG_3936.jpg

If not . . . carry a bunch of DVD's or rely on the campgrounds WIFI to pull in anything else you might need.

Lou_and_Bette

JohnD, when we were at Meeker, and other CG's we have been too in the 4+ years we have been full timing, there is little or no OTA reception and some of those have pretty poor cell reception also so we prefer to have satellite available.

Now, the problem has been resolved. See my post, #27, in this thread. King Tailgater ordered at 7:00PM Wednesday evening, arrived 2:00PM Friday. Out of the box and instructions read by 2:20, hooked up and power applied by 2:30, watching movies by 2:45. This unit is the cats pajamas. Reception is great and switching between satellites is quick. Has everything old Winegard Carryout had; 2 receiver connectability, 50' cable (using it all here), lighter, smaller, and doesn't need a separate power cord so each time I need to set up will be faster. If you can't tell, I highly recommend this product and no I don't have any interest in the company. Customer support at Winegard was not stellar but, to be fair they may be a little over loaded with this situation. On the other hand, eMail sent to King with a couple of questions before I bought were answered very promptly and with a phone number in case I had any other questions.

RoadJunkie

Lou, I fired up my Carrout today for the first time in several months and we have had no problems; Like you we're getting full HD and movies. The Carryout is at least 7 years old, so I guess I'm a lucky dog. I don't know what the difference may be, but anyway at least you're back on the air!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

Len, I have a question. You say you get HD channels on your carry out?? I was told they don't support HD channels. I think mines is a little newer than your.

busted2341

Dish is the only satillite company that supports a single LMB antenne for HD. That was the ONLY reason I changed to dish from DirecTV. My GM-1518 gets HD and regular. Love it....

SNOKING

Dish is the only satillite company that supports a single LMB antenne for HD. That was the ONLY reason I changed to dish from DirecTV. My GM-1518 gets HD and regular. Love it....

Was that before DTV came out with SWM? SWM uses a single coax to support up a 8 receivers in many combinations. The LNB picks up multiple transducers without having to repoint. Supports whole home DVR across the SWM LNB. Works well in SB or RV. Trav'ler 2 is compatible. Chris

danemayer

None of the ground-based carry-out auto-aiming dishes support HD on Directv; only on DISH. The technology used by Directv requires the larger oval shaped dish for HD. The Winegard Travl'er rooftop dish supports HD on Directv.

mlpeloquin

That is why I have a home Direct TV dish that I break down to store. Removed the feed horn and arm and store them under the bed. The full size dish is stored in the storage bay and is thin without the horn and arm attached. I drilled out the rivets and use push pins to hold the arm and horn on. I made a stand out of PVC pipe the breaks down into a small storage box that also contains the cables and Bull Dog satellite meter. It sets up quickly and I have HD. Local channels are good for about 250 miles. Then over the air or cable for local and all my other channels from 200 up come in. I have the power unit and splitter mounted in the UDC.

RoadJunkie

Len, I have a question. You say you get HD channels on your carry out?? I was told they don't support HD channels. I think mines is a little newer than your.

True, Bob. HD only possible on Dish Network with the portable, auto aiming, carryout units.

Lou_and_Bette

One additional note on the subject...when I was registering my new antenna, King had a large list of their antennas that were affected by the Dish format change. The difference is they had a way to resolve the issue, versus Winegard's response "sorry Charlie" buy new or change carriers.

So, if you have Dish and an older automatic portable antenna, you may be viewing on borrowed time.

busted2341

Well guys, my borrowed time ran out. My GM-1518 will not receive most of my dish channels so Dish referred me to Wingard. Wingard tells me that dish changed their streaming which affected older anntennas. Wingard then tells me I need to purchase a new or refurbished dish. ok, I say what kind of deal can you make me. Well they offered new dishes for more than camping world sells them for but what was interesting is they offered me the same GM-1518 I have, refurbished with the upgrade for about $300. I had to ask, why can''t they just send me the part or ping my receiver then and let me install it and use my dish? No real answer. What a racket between dish and wingrd. But I need HD and dish is the only one I can get it for with an automatic antenna for less the $300. So, yup, I bought the Dish playmaker at camping world. Cheaper then annyone else offered anything. Now that my 211z receiver has the new update, I wonder if my old GM-1518 will now work. Gonna find out very soon!

RoadJunkie

I have had a couple of "drop-outs" where I get complete loss of signal message . I have unplugged my 211k for a few minutes and all is well. This has happened twice within about 16 days. Sometimes ya just gotta choke it. Of course the stupid thing won't really fail until I'm in bum city with no pony express.